Taiwanese related to Mandarin?

[quote]What a load of bullocks.

[/quote]

You got that right, Don.

In his web page (Chinese version) Buddha cites a couple of good reasons he decided to come to taiwan - a more open research environment (This also applies to the society in general), and the ability to earn money to pay tuition and living costs. Why doesn’t he think those reasons would be valid for other Chinese learners? There are other good reasons for studying Chinese here, too.

I don’t think his assumptions about the Chinese spoken in the mainland being preferrable are valid either.

All things considered, I would advise anyone wanting to learn Chinese to consider Taiwan.

[quote=“archinasia”]
You got that right, Don.

In his web page (Chinese version) Buddha cites a couple of good reasons he decided to come to Taiwan - a more open research environment (This also applies to the society in general), and the ability to earn money to pay tuition and living costs. Why doesn’t he think those reasons would be valid for other Chinese learners? There are other good reasons for studying Chinese here, too.

I don’t think his assumptions about the Chinese spoken in the mainland being preferrable are valid either.

All things considered, I would advise anyone wanting to learn Chinese to consider Taiwan.[/quote]

What you said was correct (about my reasons for coming here), and what I say I felt about learning Mandarin still holds true. I was giving my opinion, I’m entitled to that, aren’t I? I didn’t come here to learn “Mandarin” … I came here for researching Chinese literature. And for that, I feel that Taiwan is a better place, the research environment is much more open and liberal, the vast resources of the NPM, Academica Sinica, etc. I’ve studied in both places, and I still feel that mainland China (of course depending on your location) is a better place to learn Mandarin.

I met quite a number of foreign students when I was in China who had previously studied in Taiwan, and then left for China … all because of either $$$ or they didn’t think that the environment here was what they wanted for learning Chinese. You say that there are many opportunities here to earn money, which is true, but the cost of living is much, much higher, as is tuition. I spent my first year saving money so I could continue my studies, and now am able to fall back on that and scholarships. I didn’t have to work at all when I was in China, and could devote myself entirely to studying. If I thought I could have gotten into Beida or Fudan Daxue I probably would have gone to China, but unfortunately I’m not that talented. Anyway, everyone has their own special circumstances, I was just giving my personal opinion after having studied at length in both places … throwing that off as “bollocks” without giving any counter arguments doesn’t help the guy whose post I answered one iota. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

no offense intended, Buddha. It’s just that you’re on a board in Taiwan, where you yourself are studying Chinese, and you say you can’t see why anyone would come here to learn Mandarin.

My point is that there are valid reasons for choosing Taiwan over mainland China, just as there are for choosing the mainland over Taiwan.
It depends on one’s particular circumstances. It sounds like we agree on that.

In my opinion, the reasons for coming to Taiwan are more compelling than those for going to the mainland. That is just my opinion.

Cleary, you have a gift for languages and you are driven to learn everything you can about your areas of interest. I am extremely impressed with what you have accomplished. I don’t think your Mandarin would be worse today or would have come more slowly if you had come to Taiwan first. You would have done well either way. Some people, however, might not have adapted so well to life in the mainland.

[quote=“archinasia”]no offense intended, Buddha. It’s just that you’re on a board in Taiwan, where you yourself are studying Chinese, and you say you can’t see why anyone would come here to learn Mandarin.

My point is that there are valid reasons for choosing Taiwan over mainland China, just as there are for choosing the mainland over Taiwan.
It depends on one’s particular circumstances. It sounds like we agree on that.

In my opinion, the reasons for coming to Taiwan are more compelling than those for going to the mainland. That is just my opinion.

Cleary, you have a gift for languages and you are driven to learn everything you can about your areas of interest. I am extremely impressed with what you have accomplished. I don’t think your Mandarin would be worse today or would have come more slowly if you had come to Taiwan first. You would have done well either way. Some people, however, might not have adapted so well to life in the mainland.[/quote]

Well said, and I’d have to agree with just about everything you said … except for the part about me having a gift for languages … I just have way too much time on my hands … put enough time into anything and you’re bound to wind up with some skill. FWIW, that little “About Me” blurb in Chinese on my web page was pulled directly out of my “bio” for applying to Taida … so of course I’m gonna say I’d much rather be here than commie China, hehe. I was just too lazy to write something original.

Well, anyway … cheers … :wink:

Well, thank you for all the input guys, sorry if it caused you any trouble & tension. My reasons for coming to taiwan is simple, I was offered a place & scholarship to learn Chinese at the Center for Chinese Language and Culture Studies on Hoping East Rd (this would be the Shida school ?). I was just a little concerned after reading all your posts … I want to learn Chinese, a little Taiwanese would be nice, but my major concern right now is Chinese.

Thanks for all your inputs again!

ya…jangan kuatir…
belajar hokkian (read taiwanese) juga nggak salah kog…
gue sekarang juga lagi kursus taiwanese di Wenhua uni…
agak lambat sih, tapi gue suka… gue bisa praktis dimana-mana
di kedai zhenzhu naicha atau di pusat penyewaan dvd.

ax

ax: I read ‘Hokkian’ as ‘Taiwanese’ , but it didn’t understand it any better.

This is an English forum, but Chinese is allowed in some circumstances, but not whatever that is (Malay ?)

muD

I don’t mean to be rude and nope, I did not know I lack the decorum in posting in another language. I suppose that piece is jut for dini…
yeah…I should’ve sent a private message…

speaking in tongues,

ax