Taiwanese Relationship Quirks

so yes my only relationships with Taiwanese people have been friendships but I’m curious…in your experience with Taiwanese friends and lovers do you find that your dealings with people from that culture are different in any ways from your dealings with people from your native culture? For example, I noticed (and I’m in no way suggesting this behavior is exclusive to Taiwanese people…:slight_smile:) that when I first start a friendship with a Taiwanese person they are always very polite to me but if we move to a stage where we are closer friends they will razz me mercilessly about one thing or another. Especially my best friend/former college roommate. When we were first friends she was always really nice to me and now she’s still nice but she’ll do things like to pick at me like she’ll pinch my side and say “Keri you’re getting fat you should go to the gym with me” and stuff like that.lol I dunno…none of my friends locally (here in Arkansas) are that honest with me so maybe it seems quirky to me…:slight_smile: And I noticed that every time I hung out with big groups of Taiwanese people I would always hear “ChineseKeri-ah*Chinese” in the conversations. They were talking about me! But no one ever told me what was being said…about me.lol I guess this is my fault for not learning Chinese but still I was taken aback. Why were people talking about me right in front of me…if they were American they would wait and talk about me behind my back lol Hm what else…oh yeah…just about every Taiwanese guy I hung out with talked to me about things I would normally consider things…umm…girls talk about? I don’t want to be insulting anybody here cuz obviously that’s a big generalization but they would always talk to me about stuff like marriage and kids. Like my friend’s older brother was always (seriously, I mean in every conversation we had) talking about it…just out of the blue he’d be like “yeah I think I’d like to have 2 kids…one boy and one girl…” and he’d start talking about his plans…lol don’t get me wrong, I like talking about that sort of stuff so we’d have some good conversations but I was just kind of taken aback by that:) Oh and one more…the mothering thing. I sort of commented on this earlier in another thread but I feel it’s worth adding. ALL, I mean all, of my Taiwanese friends mother me so bad. They herd me around like a little kid and tell me to eat more and inquire about my health if I am the least bit tired or not eating 50 plates of food at the buffet…things like that. I think it’s really cute (yes I can see how some of you say it might get old tho…) but NONE of my friends in America are like that. They of course care about my well-being but they wouldn’t dare, say, insist upon walking between me and traffic so I don’t get hit by a scooter or hold my hand in a crowd so I don’t get lost. lol they just wouldn’t even think about it…but maybe my American friends are assholes? lol am I thinking too much?:slight_smile:

I find that Taiwanese are very good at breaking up their posts into managable paragraphs, which really helps our relationship. :wink:

Wow! Many questions. Hmm…Okay, you’re right about everything. They DO talk about you in front of you without translation…(I still get that, even though the people are fully aware that I understand them. Huh?)
They DO stare at you (the best thing is to stare back), and they DO care about you…(or their immage, being seen with a foreigner friend and all)
BUT, most of the Taiwanese don’t have any bad intentions and are really just looking out for their new friend. Even if it means being too honest. I mean…talking about your pimples in front of strangers or something like that…Things that we think of as taboo, they accept as a part of life. Just another something you have to deal with. If you have your period, no problem, all your friends will try some remedies to make this time more “comfortable” for you…
So, yes, it’s a culture shock, but you’ll get use to it…And after you do, you’ll be a nightmare for your family and friends back home…ha ha

ok ok point taken (about the paragraphs thing). I have a Master’s in English too how sad does that make my paragraph problem?:slight_smile: lol as to the period thing…I have a funny story. I was on my period and I told my friend cuz I had to go buy feminine products at the store. Llater that night we went out to eat with her bf and her bf kept giving me this one dish (I can’t remember what it was) and she asked him something in Chinese which I’m only guessing was “why are you giving her all of that?” and he said something, which she translated for me (the only reason I know what was going on), about “this kind of food is good for women when they are on their period.” lol and she wasn’t cuz when girls live together you know…so he was talking about me. I was like…WTF gee thanks buddy you told your bf I was on my period? whatttt

Welcome to Taiwan! You’ll have some great stories to tell your children or grandchildren one day… (or forumosa.com) :wink:

I remember when I first got here some chick at Far East Tone told my friend I was having my period. I was offended. Now I tell strangers.
“You look tired”
“Period”
“Oh, drink some hot water”

I disagree about the generalization that everyone cares about being seen with a foreigner. I have friends who don’t care. I have friends who do. I have friends who don’t. I have friends who have never even heard of the band…

i don’t think you think too much.

i think you lol too much.

i did my research before visiting taiwan so i was not surprised by the questions from my friends of “are you married?”, “how much money do you make?”, “what is your bloodtype?”. it’s not being “nosey”, it’s engaging.

and also, a normal greeting (translated) is, “have you eaten?”. not, “how are you”, “how’s it going”, “whats up”, but “have you eaten”. food is a big part of the culture in taiwan. and thank goodness because the fare is so amazing i dream about it often and can’t wait to return. be sure to try everything in sight. you will miss it when and if you leave.

your friends do care about you, yet are still learning. you are different, like it or not.

i find it strange that my friends kids call me, “foreigner”, not “john”, but thats ok.

this is not the melting pot of america. relish in it , love it, learn from it, and enjoy the differences. that’s why you came to taiwan isn’t it?-for something different??? dig in and soak it in, all will be fine. you will know who your true friends are here just as you would anyplace else.

jm

• Barcelona

edit

I’m good at breaking things.

[quote=“Hydedoll”]so yes my only relationships with Taiwanese people have been friendships but I’m curious…in your experience with Taiwanese friends and lovers do you find that your dealings with people from that culture are different in any ways from your dealings with people from your native culture?

For example, I noticed (and I’m in no way suggesting this behavior is exclusive to Taiwanese people…:slight_smile:) that when I first start a friendship with a Taiwanese person they are always very polite to me but if we move to a stage where we are closer friends they will razz me mercilessly about one thing or another.

Especially my best friend/former college roommate. When we were first friends she was always really nice to me and now she’s still nice but she’ll do things like to pick at me like she’ll pinch my side and say “Keri you’re getting fat you should go to the gym with me” and stuff like that.lol I dunno…none of my friends locally (here in Arkansas) are that honest with me so maybe it seems quirky to me…:slight_smile: And I noticed that every time I hung out with big groups of Taiwanese people I would always hear “ChineseKeri-ah*Chinese” in the conversations.

They were talking about me! But no one ever told me what was being said…about me.lol I guess this is my fault for not learning Chinese but still I was taken aback. Why were people talking about me right in front of me…if they were American they would wait and talk about me behind my back lol Hm what else…oh yeah…just about every Taiwanese guy I hung out with talked to me about things I would normally consider things…umm…girls talk about? I don’t want to be insulting anybody here cuz obviously that’s a big generalization but they would always talk to me about stuff like marriage and kids.

Like my friend’s older brother was always (seriously, I mean in every conversation we had) talking about it…just out of the blue he’d be like “yeah I think I’d like to have 2 kids…one boy and one girl…” and he’d start talking about his plans…lol don’t get me wrong, I like talking about that sort of stuff so we’d have some good conversations but I was just kind of taken aback by that:) Oh and one more…the mothering thing. I sort of commented on this earlier in another thread but I feel it’s worth adding.

ALL, I mean all, of my Taiwanese friends mother me so bad. They herd me around like a little kid and tell me to eat more and inquire about my health if I am the least bit tired or not eating 50 plates of food at the buffet…things like that.

I think it’s really cute (yes I can see how some of you say it might get old tho…) but NONE of my friends in America are like that. They of course care about my well-being but they wouldn’t dare, say, insist upon walking between me and traffic so I don’t get hit by a scooter or hold my hand in a crowd so I don’t get lost. lol they just wouldn’t even think about it…but maybe my American friends are assholes? lol am I thinking too much?:)[/quote]

sorry, still too many "lol"s

thats just me and my middle aged ass,

this aint no myspace or nuthin’

wiwsd, or yid

(first one that guesses it right wins a prize)

clue: it’s saturaday night as i write this, and i like ot imbibe.
jm

lol…um…strange strange ppl. and if that comment about the lol’s was directed at me…I like to “lol,” get over it:) as for my MA in English…I prefer to speak casually on the internet and with friends. If I was writing a paper or trying to impress of course I would clean up my language a bit but I’m not too worried about playing the professor on here…but constructive criticism is always welcome;) This isn’t myspace? I got confused for a bit…I’ve been “imbibing” too…banana mocha frappucinos mmm

uh, gee, i guess the “lol” was directed at you, sorry, but like i said, “that’s just my old ass”

imbibe along my friend.

i meant no offense, i just get so confused with all that jargon kids use now a-days.

hak,

jm

(hugs and kisses)

oh, so sweet and cute from one graduate to another. we shert learnt a lot in collige.

bananas are gross

more Hello Kitty…this thing needs more Hello Kitty!

I love Hello Kitty. I bought tons of Hello Kitty stuff in Taiwan…and my friends showered me with Hello Kitty gifts. I could open a freakin store with all the stuff I got. yay

can I read 'em or can I read 'em… :beatnik:

I have a feeling you’re going to do just grand in Taiwan. :bravo:

I totally loved the Taiwanese people when I lived there for a few months. Its the main reason why I want to go back asap :slight_smile:

I stayed in Wu-Chi in Taichung and often went for weeks without seeing another caucasian person. It was kind of surreal… But I found with just my very basic (ie: Inflight Magazine ‘Travel Phrases’ level) Mandarin, that the people I met would instantly warm to me.

And that was every level, from wealthy business people to street food vendors. Yes I often heard the term ‘Xiao Pung’ littered in most conversations around me, but hey - Im 110 kgs and 184cms tall. I felt like John Candy over there :laughing:

Oop sorry - thats my only lol for this post :wink:

When I did see other foreigners I found they they would totally ignore me and it felt like I was intruding on their own personal Asia adventure. And fair enough too… After not seeing another ‘whitey’ I would get flustered and forget how to interact properly.

And no offence to our American friends here, but why must you guys immediately burst into really loud Mandarin whenever I was close to you? That kind of did my head in. Sure I cant speak Mandarin (yet) but theres no need to rub my face in it :stuck_out_tongue:

Met a bunch of other people from different countries and didnt experience this particular nuance…

Oh shit… Im rambling… Im just so damn excited to find this cool forum :smiley:

Hopefully when I move there in October I can meet up with some of you guys :slight_smile: My first trip there would have been so much better if I had some drinking/chat buddies…

Hydedoll, are there any Taiwanese people in Arkansas? I am confused.