Taiwanese root beer float?

I tried the Sars and Xiao Mei ice cream float myself. It’s not good this way. I like both by itself but not together. And I like root beer floats from the US.

Costco sells A&W Root Beer 24 cans @ 17nt each

1 Like

Interesting, I also thought before they were the same which I now know is wrong. They do taste similar to me though. Haven’t had a hey song sarsaparilla since the 1980s.

This is just not true. Root Beer and Sarsparilla aren’t even close to tasting the same. There is a vanilla-y sweetness to root beer that sarsparilla just doesn’t have.

1 Like

Sarsaparilla taste like Dr Pepper with more bite and without the cherry flavor.

FIFY :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I like sarsaparilla. I also like root beer. Nothing wrong with either.

1 Like

For me as someone with no bias it tasted like a less interesting hei song assparilla. Ginger beer beats both of them!

Um… Okay. I wholeheartedly disagree. Hey Song is fine, but it just isn’t root beer. They’re completely different to me.

Did you have an American-made root beer? or did you have one of the “root beers” that are made in Taiwan? Because the Taiwan ones taste like sarsparilla to me. I don’t think they are true root beers.

I like both, too. I prefer root beer, but sarsparilla is fine. They aren’t at all the same though… and every “root beer” that I have seen that’s produced in Taiwan is actually sarsparilla. There are no true root beers made in Taiwan.

1 Like

You’re exactly right. If you consider them the same, you’re bound to get disappointed. I also prefer root beer if I had to choose.

Something I think we’ve forgotten: root beer can be quite varied! A few times in North America I’ve had traditional styles, and they doesn’t taste much like A&W or Dad’s anyway. The Taiwanese Hei Song stuff doesn’t taste the same as A&W to me, but both of them are quite different from what people apparently thought of as root beer a century back.

I dunno, maybe Hey Song : A&W = Taiwan Beer : Carlsburg. But I’ve also had “craft beer” equivalents of root beer that were, if not necessarily better, a lot more interesting and made A&W taste kind of pointless. (A&W is still really good for floats!)

Yeah, I’ve had some root beer that i thought was gross.