Taiwanese student in USA accused of plotting school massacre

They may be asset rich and cash poor.

Well then the choice is for his safety. Which in both places would be in question.

The handgun itself is not illegal. His possession of it, as an 18yo alien who did not follow the paperwork requirements to obtain it, is illegal. Failing to charge him for it just means (1) that they have more important things to nail him on, and (2) as we have seen repeatedly, states don’t fucking bother enforcing any gun laws until a massacre has happened and then they just try to pass more new laws that they’ll also ignore until the next tragedy.

1 Like

Oh, it also means (3) so-called “journalists” don’t know shit about the laws and either fail to discuss them accurately or badly misrepresent them when they pretend to.

A Taiwan student has been currently held in the immigration detention center in Australia, indefinitely without foreseeable date of formal prosecution.

According NBC 10 Philadelphia, Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood seemed to indicate that Sun’s acquisitions were within the law:

There appear to be exceptions to the rule barring nonimmigrant aliens from purchasing firearms:

Some sources on the Internet say that Sun possessed a hunting license (which is apparently one of the exceptions), but for that assertion, I haven’t been able to find a source in which I can be reasonably confident. However, the news station’s citing of the Police Superintendent carries sufficient weight with me, in the absence of evidence to the contrary.

It appears that, while the Federal minimum age for purchasing a handgun from a licensed dealer is 21, the Federal minimum age for purchasing such a weapon from an unlicensed person is 18:

Of course, from this distance, it seems nearly impossible to know all the pertinent details of this situation, but I’m not yet ready to gainsay the Police Superintendent.

Peace :slight_smile:

1 Like

Crazy if he could legally attain such a weapon on a student visa…What a mess ! Homeland security my ass.

It’s so much easier when you get the tip well enough in advance that you can arrest a shooter on arrival at the airport. Also easier when people plead guilty. :idunno:

Hmm…not a US citizen…of legal age…very few rights under the law…wonder if little Sunny knows how to spell Gitmo??

Key words at the very end I reckon.

1 Like

These words?

Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood told CNA the day before that Sun’s attorney, Robert Keller, is planning to waive his client’s right to any more hearings, which would allow the case to move forward and be resolved through a plea bargain.

Probably. :idunno:

1 Like

At this point, how are they going to argue that a bedroom full of bullets, makeshift weapons, a gun, and threats of violence are just a joke or misunderstanding?

It’s probably the right thing to go for a plea bargain as (juvenile) prison in the US is no joke. If he’s lucky he’ll be out in less than a year and deported with time served. A plea bargain is better than years locked up and a rather forceful deep study of the classics, particularly the discipline of irrumatio.

It’s not like anyone would give him trouble over a foreign criminal record in Taiwan. That is something Taiwanese only do to foreign English teachers with an arrest record from ten years ago.

The maximum charge is five years on the main misdemeanor charge. I’ll be surprised if he does any time at all.

1 Like

I thought they said he was 18.

I’m not really familiar with the upper age limit of juvenile prisons in the United States. In Taiwan the age cap is set between the age of 18 and 23 depending on the specific developmental circumstances of the inmate. But if he has a high probability or even certainty to end up in a regular prison with an adult population, then he better takes a plea bargain to reduce the sentence.

Seeing him smile like that for the cameras and joke about reading comics, basking in his fame in front of Taiwanese journalists, I am convinced the kid has no friggin idea the depth of the sh** he is in.

2 Likes

Maybe they can do a hostage exchange with he who smoked a doobie outside that night club.

5 Likes

Kid won’t go to jail. Media says he will be back in Taiwan in a month.

if i see this fucker on the mrt i’m pressing the security alarm.

1 Like

This will be the first time I’ll use a selfystick in public.