Taiwanese student in USA accused of plotting school massacre

Using your logic the 911 terrorists weren’t terrorists until they took over the planes ?

OK then.

He was convicted of a BS law, granted.

Without that law he goes scot free.

He is sorry he will not graduate with his friends nor attend university in US. He is not apologizing.

He broke the law when he made the threat. He has not denied making such a threat. Given that he had the means to carry out such threat, he was given a suitable punishment, which still falls short. He should be in an institution. He needs help.

1 Like

He may, or may not, have made a threat. It sounds like he made an offhand comment to a fellow student, which has become the basis for his anti-terrorism conviction. It’s all become back-sell now, of course.

He may need professional help, I don’t know.

The only thing I know is that he never lifted a finger illegally. Conversations with fellow high schoolers shouldn’t be a crime in my book, I’d still be in jail if they were.

Nowhere in Chinese or English will you find an statement where he says he did not make such a threat.

In Taiwan, anyone can be convicted and fined or jailed for using the F word against someone. It is teh same case here.

Even in the ol country, a personal death threat or even harm intention is punishable by jail.

In the US, the classmates are responsible, as they will be convicted as accessory to crime or at least being an impediment to an investigation if they stay quiet after hearing such a threat.

But it does not follow (necessarily) that his lack of statement in this regard means that he did, indeed, make a threat.

In the US, there are urban areas (like Philly) where citizens are scared witless by gun violence and there are more rural areas where citizens are not.

This kid’s rotten luck that he was plopped down among the frightened ones, where LE must make citizens feel protected or lose the next election. His parents did him no favors by sending him to, of all places, eastern Pennsylvania and especially Philadelphia.

He plead guilty. You can’t plead guilty to a crime without admitting to the crime.

1 Like

In the US, burden of proof falls on the accusers, not the accussed. If you are accussed of something, it means there is some kind of evidentiary support. They must have something to grab you and bag you.

All kids are frightened in teh US, especially after 23 shootings this year. Schools in suburbia. Churches. Homes. Better be safe than sorry, at least.

Inner city kids would be numb already.

But this is not fear. This is not a kid. he is 18. This is not lack of maturity. His attitude says he is totally out of it. It is not rotten luck. It is good luck that he slipped before he fell.

But it does not follow that he is guilty. He pled guilty, yes. Many, many Americans plead guilty in order to avoid lawyer costs, time costs, hassle, social media outcomes - to be able to return to your country of origin - etc.

Not decisive.

1 Like

This is Taiwan, and he is Taiwanese. My wife’s son is 24 years old, and employed in Hsinchu as an engineer.

He nevertheless managed to pressure her into buying him a ginormous plush doll, a dinosaur, at Costco on Saturday morning.

Being 18 means he is legally an adult, but I have my doubts whether any Taiwanese males are actually mature adults at age 18 (not just Taiwan, either).

Girlfriend substitute? :sunglasses:

1 Like

A theory that remains voiceless in our house, so far anyway. He has no girlfriend, fact.

My wife’s son i.e. your son? Step son?

My step son. Long story.

There was the comment to his school peer. There were the videos of him in Taiwan. There were the guns, gun parts, and ammunition in his bedroom. There was the odd family dynamic between him and his parents. That was the evidence.

But he pled out, he wasn’t convicted by a judge or a jury by that evidence. He pled guilty, and for that he will be released from US custody and is free to return to Taiwan. The prosecutor has guaranteed that he will never be able to return to Philadelphia, and his constituents are happy.

His parents wanted him back and out of the US. The US wanted him out and never to return.

None of that necessarily means he is a school shooter, a terrorist, or a murderer, however.

1 Like

I know. But normal would be to say, as a teenager, that he would klike to break someone’s face or to pick a fight with someone. A senseless comment a few days, hours maybe, a big shooting, while having all those guns…is problematic.

It is what we call in Sapnish that Ceasar’s wife must be caste … and look caste.

Lemme give you an example. From the papers, we see that there was a foreigner who was growing cannabis. they sent like 18 SWAT/karate experts to take him down first of all because he was a furriner, second of all because he was also a martial artist.

I can do one better.

This guy from teh animal rescue circle was telling us a story. He is 6 foot over, muscled guy. he was trapping cats for TNR and teh neighbors called the cops on him. They sent 4 cruisers.

Agfain, it si all perception. That is why black folk are so easily shot in teh US.

The cops shoot anyone pretty easily in the US.

In this day and age, when young people regularly and inexplicably carry out school shootings, such a threat definitely means something. It shouldn’t be ignored, and it wasn’t. The result seems appropriate to me.

In U.S., if you have good lawyers you avoid jail. And he did. But being deported means he can’t return for at least 5yrs. I heard no mention of permanent ban though. (which it should be)

i’m more concerned about the innocent people he may try to shoot up when he is back in taiwan, unpunished, still coddled by his mummy. freely walking the streets, carrying his homemade pistols and flamethrowers.

“Sometimes they steal a car you know”