Taiwanese student in USA accused of plotting school massacre

When I have time, I wil search for cases cited in this thread of kids who also did the same idiocy and ended up more or less in the same pickle, in different states. Not only in Philly.

I do recall reading hate speech is considered a crime, at least a felony in the States. I´’ll let someone else pitch in.

Sun made everyone nervous, not only Philly, for making a threat while holding a stash in his closet. If your kid talked about getting high, and you found a stash under his bed, yoú’d be concerned he was chasing the dragon, no?

Nope, Free speech is a guaranteed right and civil liberty in the united state constitution. It would be unconstitutional to have hate speech laws because of the first amendment.

1 Like

God bless the first amendment. Being able to say what you want and express opinions without persecution legally of what people define as “mean” is amazing.

2 Likes

It’s an urban worry. Americans who live in urban areas are terrified by gun violence (but it is admittedly not axiomatic; I’m sure there are many in Philly who found Sun’s case to be overblown.).

Americans who live outside urban areas are not as worried about what a young foreign-exchange student might say to a single classmate, and it’s not a given that he would have been charged with a felony in such jurisdictions.

Example. Ask people in the Pittsburgh MSA what they think about Philly’s reaction. Same state. I’m sure you’ll find some who also felt nervous, but I think you’ll find far, far more who find Philly’s reaction borderline ludicrous.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone in philly was worried lol. That’s a tough town, I used to go there a bunch. They got bigger problems of real gun violence daily and opiates flooded in there to be concerned over a little foreign exchange kid playing cowboys and Indians.

1 Like

1500 rounds of ammo is Cowboys and Indians.

OK, got it.

It’s one of the few things the septics get spot-on.

I hate balding 48 year old white guys. - I have no problem with that.
Let’s kill the balding 48 year old white guy. - I now have an issue.

Not rare in the US.

I hunt, its rare

Plenty of people with hundreds of ammo in different rounds.

1500 rounds for a HS student

its a red flag. people in Taiwan are dismissive of the severity of this because they just assume he is like a didi they know.

others see him as a petulant child who has no respect for others.

We also established the that. But realistically he was like a few months away from being 18 and held the wrong passport outside of possible threats said to one student that he claims as a joke.

It’s less than 500$ for 1500 rounds of 556. It’s really not that rare for people to stock pile bulk rounds.

held the wrong passport? so the US authorities are more likely to see Taiwanese as terror threats?

that’s a fucking joke

No, If he was a couple months older with a US passport he would have been legally allowed to purchase most of these things many Americans have.

Yes, it’s established making claims of possible school shootings is illegal and he was punished for it even though it may or May have not been a joke.

1500 rounds is a lot relatively. But if one was to be a gun enthusiast. I let out maybe 100 round at least if going to the range with small caliber weapons. You can probably let off 1500 rounds of semi auto in a single hour if you had at it without even rapid fire. Lots of people therefore buy bulk rounds.

If you’re a hunter who believes the only valid reason an American should be able to possess lawfully a firearm is for hunting or self-defense, then 1500 rounds is a lot.

Thing is that it’s perfectly legal to participate in 2g and 3g “action challenge matches” in the very large state next to California, Arizona. If you compete in them then you probably go through 1500 rounds of a single caliber per week. Those Americans buy, stock, and use up tens of thousands of rounds of pistol, rifle, and shotgun ammo each year. All perfectly legal (they’re a lot of fun and a great way to learn about safe gun handling while acquiring practical firearm skills).

This goes on in many other states, too, but Arizona is by far the friendliest state to the 2nd Amendment. Very friendly (if also very strict) weapons ranges there. Perfectly legal. I suspect Sun is a fellow traveller who would love spending a weekend with these Americans near Scottsdale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCppmoZiXUY

Going to Rome soon. Mind to share how it happened?

You cannot shout “Fire” in a crowded theater, and you cannot make threats about shooting up a schoolful of children. Full stop. That is not making someone nervous. It’s called a credible threat.

Of course. But Sun did not do threaten to shoot up a schoolful of children.

What happened was a bunch of administrators, parents, and the police read some tea leaves, said some words over some spilt goat blood, licked a finger and held it aloft, and pronounced that Sun did, indeed, pose a threat to others.

But he never actually did a thing. He never committed a single act of terrorism on US soil.