Taiwanese student in USA accused of plotting school massacre

Eh he denied he was serious about his threat, not making the threat. And that was after coaching from his lawyers.

Again, I use the weed metaphor. Your kid insists he is not smoking weed, yet you open his closet and he has several gallon bags. Would you believe his words or worse, think he is dealing Satan´s lettuce?

2 Likes

But you’re not accusing Sun of smoking weed, which is one thing (and in your example based on massive evidence). You’ve accused him of plotting mass murder. That is quite another, and based on far, far scimpier evidence.

I hope you realize there’s a difference.

1 Like

Got a link? :slight_smile:

(Apologies if it’s posted earlier in the thread.)

How is the evidence few when the stash is so big? And it was acquired illegally? Threats aside, if anyone from law enforcement had just checked on his armory, Sun would still have landed in jail and extradited. The threat added the cherry on top.

More like “in the opinion of just about anyone who’s dealt with teenage boys or in fact anyone who’s done something seriously wrong.”

Sure, at least we can agree that you offer nothing more than an opinion.

… and that to buttress your first opinion, you offered a second. :thinking:

Sun has access to money and his family was able to hire very good, very expensive lawyers. I don’t think it’s at all clear that he would have been deported for allegedly acquiring ammunition in an allegedly illegal manner. I do note that you hold this opinion, though.

It was also the opinion of the judge. We do have the link to the legal decision paperwork somewhere up there.

We do hold the opinion the kid is obsessed with guns as he was willing to break the law, and do so in big fashion to get them. Not a single pretty beloved gun is what we mean. IMHO. That he was able, or rather, enabled to do so in such a large fashion since as we all know and you yourself stated is also worrisome and will lead to future trouble, as per our teaching experiences and other contact with young and not so young people in similar conditions. Again, IMHO.

1 Like

Citizens of the US enjoy a civil right to own and bear firearms. It’s not difficult to come by ammunition in the US, as this case shows. Any opinion by the judge was in the context of Sun’s plea and his sentencing; it bears little relevance outside the specific path taken in Sun’s case.

“Worrisome” is the key word in this whole debate, imho. Worry based on opinion about who Sun is, how his parents raised him, and on events in the US. Just worry.

And once again, it’s not even clear he had the means to use any of the ammunition the court deemed he had acquired. It was never demonstrated publicly that his kit-built handgun was remotely functional.

Ehem you forget the other stuff. Check the previous data.

Again, he should not have had anything stronger than a Swiss knife because he is not a US citizen. He was living in an urban area for several months, not a newbie to the US, and had to travel a long way to the shooting range where he also took friends from Taiwan, not US citizens. He was not say in a hunting club or had local pals with the same hobby.

He overstepped his rights just as if he had been working illegally or selling trinkets on the sidewalk while on a student visa. People are deported for a lot less.

What I mean is that it was not as he was surrounded by this culture and copied it by innocent association. He already had the thirst and he had to quelch it any way, law be dammed. As I say before, what I find most baffling is the adults enabling this action which endangered his future and got him deported.

2 Likes

Again, his family has resources. People with equivalent resources are often not deported for reasons that are much more serious.

We’re talking in circles. You are nervous, and there is nothing I can say to lessen it.

Oh I am nervous and displeased. I am more annoyed at the parents though.

1 Like

Of one thing I’m happy about the outcome is that his parents had to pay through the teeth to the lawyers. The financial hit alone should ensure his parents keep him in line in the future…hopefully

Or not. Since Taiwan is relatively lax on this type of thing

Now as far as the comments I’ve read that the kid didn’t pose any threat. How many shootings were there where afterwards people said oh that kid was a loner, a loser, etc he wouldn’t hurt a fly. Then one day he snaps. Threats need to be taken seriously

2 Likes

I really am interested in knowing how the law is “basically useless”. Do you have examples?

There’s a difference between “I like broccoli” and “when conditions A, B, and C apply, action D generally follows”. The first one is an opinion. The second one is prudence.

1 Like

My opinion is that we will see this guy on the news again one day with parents next to him bowing to the cameras saying “Sorry, our son was in a depressed mood when he xxxxx.”

3 Likes

This case has been resurrected. Somehow, the courts here deem they have jurisdiction over what happened abroad. Kid is looking at 7 years locked up. From Apple Daily celebrity to this:

https://tw.mobi.yahoo.com/news/孫安佐非法持有槍械遭提公訴-恐面臨7年以上有期徒刑-080100606.html?ncid=yahooproperties_societyale_v4tgkm3ep3q

Lock him up!

1 Like

This is really ironic.

I was thinking about this little creep today and I was thinking that it’s been nearly two years since we’ve heard from him. So, being that 2020 is and continues to be what it is, I was wondering when he would pop up again and flame throw 15 people to death!

I was going to post this later tonight, really! And I was going to ask @icon to prognosticate when and what she thought he would do!