Taiwanese student in USA accused of plotting school massacre

@Brianjones Flamethrower was like 5 years ago. It was what got his sent abroad.

@MalcolmReynolds Nope, they insist it is the US case.

1 Like

See Criminal Code Art. 5 to 7. In this case, it sounds like Art. 7, which covers any crime for which there can be a sentence of at least 3 years.

(This doesnā€™t explain why a child molester would be left alone, but it might explain some of the other ones you listed ā€“ potential sentences not long enough ergo no jurisdiction.)

4 Likes

Last news I saw before leaving the house is that the parents say this will not affect their business at the restaurant nor a coming performance. Tha hell?!

2 Likes

Why waste time with Apple Daily when Iā€™ve got @icon in-conjunctivitis with Forumosa.

Howā€™s that sound @GooseEgg?!? Lol

ā€œIn conjunctionā€

2 Likes

It is my job to read local press/ see local news. They pay me for it. :banana:

Ok, I check the entertainment pages in hopes of finding something about Takeshiā€¦

4 Likes

And if you thought those charges would make our hero vanish from public viewā€¦this weekend he participated in a bit building contest.

Interestingly, he stood out from all participants because he was white as snow. I do recall most bodybuilders do tan for competitions. Why he didnā€™t?

Because no one told him he was going to attend or compete before hand. Mmmā€¦ So, someone else is calling the shots of his booming careerā€¦ curious and curioserā€¦

https://tw.news.yahoo.com/參加偄ē¾Žå¤§č³½-孫安佐č‡Ŗ嘲-ē™½ę–¬é›ž-030004635.html

1 Like

You can buy it on Ruten or shopee.

Why would TW government ban ballistics vest? you canā€™t kill anyone with it (well maybe if you hit them in the head with it REAL hard).

TW government only bans things that is designed as a weapon, such as firearms or ammunition.

Iā€™m not sure what the law is but it really sounded like ā€œę®ŗ雞做ēŒ“ā€ to me. Meaning they want to make an example of a person. Probably because of his celebrity status. They are likely prosecuting just to scare him a little. They will not win the case but theyā€™re just putting on a show. If he was truly screwed he would have been in custody right now.

But no Taiwan canā€™t convict a person for violating gun laws in other countries. Otherwise any Taiwanese who went to the US as a tourist and shot at a shooting range would be prosecuted. Actually I donā€™t even think the US could prosecute a person for manufacturing a firearm, as it is not against the law at all unless he engaged in the business of doing it (this is actually legally defined as the person making a living doing it, so you have to have been paid for it). And I am sure a lot of Taiwanese completed 80% lowers, so if that was against the law, then a lot of Taiwanese should be filling up jails. Furthermore the laws on this only applies if the crime is committed in the Republic of China.

The truth is they have no right to prosecute this.

No gun laws in the US has a minimum sentence of 3 years. The guy didnā€™t even get sentenced to 3 years.

Flamethrowers are not firearms at all in the US. Therefore you canā€™t be prosecuted for making them.

Elon Musk was selling Flamethrowers

1 Like

Kidā€™s trial starts tomorrow. Prepare the popcorn.

So last week Mom recorded a podcast, crying, saying she thought that bringing the kid back to Taiwan he would be safe and never expected the authorities to respond like thatā€¦

Authorities responding by extending kidā€™s bar from traveling.

Todayā€™s headlines: Sunā€™s travel dream cut short.

:wall:

Oh and his drink stand business has failed.

1 Like

What is the purpose of this any of this in Taiwan? This seems like an overreach of the justice system. Very china like. Iā€™m not a fan. Just let him live his life if he hasnā€™t been a problem.

Not to mention a huge waste of the countryā€™s resources. The point of the criminal justice system is either justice or reform. Thereā€™s no justice to be had, and he hasnā€™t been a problem to society. I guarantee this will Fuck the kid up mor, especially if they lock him up again with criminals. Aka crime university.

1 Like

Really? The joint was jumping when then showed it on the news.

Well, as if he could go anywhere with COVID.

What is he being accused of?

Blockquote
According to Taiwanā€™s Criminal Code, Taiwanā€™s judiciary has jurisdiction over crimes committed by a Taiwanese citizen abroad which are punishable by the host country with jail sentences of longer than three years.
Blockquote

TBH, it is clear as chocolate.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a horrible headline.

1 Like

Itā€™s also likely to be done at the behest of the US Government.

What you donā€™t realize is that the US can tell any other countries they ally with what to do. They have done this numerous times.

Just like one word from Trump and Huawei CEO gets arrested in Canada.

Maybe the US government doesnā€™t like him.

The deal was to release him to his parentsā€™ custody, as they swore they would make sure he did not run into trouble again.

Do you think itā€™s because the guy has celebrity status and they caused Taiwan to lose face?

So heā€™s not being punished for whatever his indictment or charge says. Heā€™s being punished for causing Taiwan to lose face.

1 Like