Taiwanese student in USA accused of plotting school massacre

Then I suppose forming a gang of murderous thieves would be out of the question:

Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, pp. 25-27

2 Likes

I thought the same thing.
But you know what they say: “one sauce for the goose and another for the gander” :noway:

Maybe his childhood was more like Lucius Priest’s:

–William Faulkner, The Reivers

Somehow I’m thinking more Weird Science. :sunglasses:

Her celebrity status barely counts here, let alone there. She’s like a C-list celebrity at most. Maybe B-.

Oh FFS. Stop already with the “oh, it’s another autistic kid, they’re all deviants.”

Oh FFS. I did not say that.

1 Like

Maybe…

Today’S topic: why Taiwanese with money send their children to study abroad? Is it that you can’t learn anything in Taiwan?

https://udn.com/news/story/11958/3061246?line=y

Where is the eye roll?

basically what the article is saying, is if you’re desperate enough to let your kid study for high school abroad , you already know that kid has got some problems.
and btw the tw university system isn’t the best.

It is like private school here. Mostly troubled kids, kids fallen off the system…but with parents of certain means and no time to pay attention to those issues. In very general terms, of course.

I thought the same until the missus told me she was an extremely popular and well-known soap opera actress in her day (Taiwanese drama).
She also mentioned reports that the son was kicked out of (“left”) Wei-Ge school (in Beitou or Shihlin), because he punched some female classmate. Hence, maybe why sent to the U.S.

i think that’s too much of a generalization. u basically say all those expats kids in schools like tas,kas have problems. i’m sure u didnt mean it like that

Have you seen TAS lately?
It’s very much “less expats” and more kids of rich Taiwanese businesspeople who got US passport through some means. It’s much much less “American” than the name implies.

I mean teh private local ones. Expat kids, mixed kids, they alraedy have some difficulties adapting, but I mean the local kids that in thsi test grinding system, get caught in teh gears.

but what does this private school/spoiled brat talk have to do with this case? rich and poor kids can run amok. rich and poor kids can turn out to be dicks.
this kid probably has some problems but it’s certainly not just because his parents are some kind of celebrity therefore all celebrity kids are problem kids.

You said that it’s a generalization to talk about TAS kids being spoiled brats (“have problems”).
I was pointing out the current makeup of TAS. It is being taken over by spoiled brats of rich Taiwanese businesspeople who got US passports somehow. It’s a fact.
I am not talking about children of Americans who get sent to Taiwan on business expat packages.

i was actually referring to icon’s post that most private school student have some kind of problem. i don’t think so, it’s not like everyone can afford to be a dick for the rest of their life just because their parents are multimillionaires.

what you’re stating about those international schools is another thing. but i think they have been this way for the last 20 years or so. the tw expat market is so small, i don’t think any kind of business could survive focusing on expats (school kids) only.

Look, international schools and private schools are two different kinds of things. Not all private schools are international schools and vice versa.

Adding to what KHHVille pointed out, TAS, TES and Japanese cschool were meant to teach kids which had no other place to be -in the remote past, even going to a local school was not an option. Now you have mostly anchor kids, kids born there and maybe raised 3 months then brought back, kids that are basically Taiwanese with no links to their birthnation other than a passport. They get sent to internatinal schools as a sign of social class. Not all, but a significant and conspicuos amount.

Now, I know of a couple of boarding schools here. Also I have friends teaching in the semi bilingual private schools, and the usual private schools. Like the private universities, those are for the kids whose grades are not good enough for public school. Everyone here -OK 99%-, from Guo Tai-ming to the lowliest peasant, wants their kids to go to Jienguo High School and Taida, wear the green First Girls High School and go to Taida. They point to them in their distictive uniforms at malls and on the buses/MRT and say “that is a smart kid”. But the ones from private schools carry a stigma. At least not like kids in non technical third tier schools, they have not given up because everyone around them has given up, especially their teachers. But many people use the private factor to literally throw money on any existing problem.

In teh case of celebrities, due to their crazy schedules, and the threat of kidnappings due to the paws of mafia in local entertainment circles, the number of them having kids abroad is high. They also have teh means for that. But teh problem is that as we say in Spanish “teh eye of teh owner fattens up the horse”. KIds need attention, and it is not teh divorce that messes them up, it is what transpierd to get to a divorce… and then that instead of feeling that they still have a family, like in thsi case, they are sent abroad on their own. Loneliness may lead them to become negative attention seekers, which leads us to our current problem of a young adult being immature as to joke about shootings. Certainly, it si up tehre with Nazi jokes in distaste, but in the current environment, it has gotten him expelled from school and soon from the US. And then what?

I think it’s just a combination of the toxic “school shooter” culture in America (how shooters directly appeal to future shooters and encourage them to do similar massacres) and of course the access to weapons. As long as it is easy to do, someone will be ready to do it. I don’t really think there’s that much more to it, nor do I think him being Taiwanese is a relevant factor.