Taiwanese Study Group

Well, we can start anytime we want. Maybe we should postpone another week. 9 o’clock is OK with me. I teach until 8:30 at a school on the other side of Da’an park. Can you find a native speaker? How should we go about finding someone?

[quote=“miltownkid”]I’m in and I PMed you the info for buying the books… Guess I could just post it here too :slight_smile:

地址:台北市中山北路一段2號八樓
電話:(02)2314-1833
傳真:(02)2361-8843

I’ll go investigate tomorrow since I have off again.[/quote]

I investigated this place today. It’s awesome! The lady sat me down and started speaking Taiwanese to me. They want more students, so contact them if you’re interested. I don’t have time. I only have time for Wednesday nights.
But I got the CD’s there and they also have all the Maryknoll books!

Also, right downstairs is a 小歇 tea house. It’s really close to Taipei Main Station.

Is this coming Wednesday a good starting time for y’all?

Definitely keen. I keep coming across bloody Taiwanese/Minnan phrases being used in the middle of Mandarin sentences, and being Taiwanese they show up in approximately bugger all mainstream dictionaries, so I reckon studying Taiwanese is starting to make sense.

Of course, this all depends how much the books cost…

Tomorrow’s out for me, but I’m rteady to start next Wednesday 9PM at the location you said on Yong Kang Jie.

If anyone’s goingt o buy the books, could you pick up Book 1 for me?

Brian

Books = 400NT
Cd’s = 1000NT (or so)
Classes = 380NT 1-1, 253NT 2-1, 213NT 3-1, 173NT 4-1

After speaking to a guy there I might do a week or 2 of classes to learn the romanization and get my pronunciation straight. I’ll be ready to start a group next week. I planned on doing the classes during the day, but if someone else wanted to join me I’d adjust to their schedule.

OK, we’ll postpone till next week.
You’re taking classes at Maryknoll?
Damn, I’m jealous! Jealousy is a bad thing.

The lady there is really cool, though, right? I asked her if she wanted to help us out on Wednesday nights, but she couldn’t do it.

Keep looking for a Native Speaking Teacher for us…

I found someone who’s willing to help us out. She’s around our age (late 20s / early 30s) - unless you guys are much younger or older than I think.

Oh, I could. PM me if you want me to next time I go (in a day or so).

Woah! It’s not a dating service, ty1! Anyway, I’m only interested in small children… but I’m still open minded. Is she short?

Anyway, I hope she’s familiar with the 樹枝孤鳥 CD by 伍百. It was his first all Taiwanese CD. It came out way back in 1998 when I was a young teenie bopper (?). But, whatever, it’s all good.

[quote=“miltownkid”]Books = 400NT
Cd’s = 1000NT (or so)
Classes = 380NT 1-1, 253NT 2-1, 213NT 3-1, 173NT 4-1

After speaking to a guy there I might do a week or 2 of classes to learn the romanization and get my pronunciation straight. I’ll be ready to start a group next week. I planned on doing the classes during the day, but if someone else wanted to join me I’d adjust to their schedule.[/quote]
I’d be interested in tagging along actually. I’m going to go check the place out when I’m finished work this afternoon. What day/time were you looking at?

Although, by “a week or two” of classes, how many hours do you mean? I assume the price above is per hour…

[quote=“Tetsuo”]I’d be interested in tagging along actually. I’m going to go check the place out when I’m finished work this afternoon. What day/time were you looking at?

Although, by “a week or two” of classes, how many hours do you mean? I assume the price above is per hour…[/quote]
Well the guy suggested 6 hours per week (three 2 hour classes). That would have been more then I wanted to pay for 1-1 so I was already thinking about doing something different. I think he said I/we could get through the intro and first 3 chapters in 2 or 3 weeks. I really only want to do the intro (tones, romanization, pronunciation). I suppose four 2 hour classes or 6 1 hour classes would be enough to do the intro.

I can do anytime after 11:30 (afternoon or evening).

Good. But ideal would be a man. I think we’re most, if not all, gonna be blokes, so we don’t want to get girly accents.

MK, if you’re interested in Mary Knoll classes at lunchtime, once a week, I might be interested. But I’m still trying to find out about the freebie clases for spouses (Taipei City Government haven’t replied me yet).

Brian

Lunchtime really doesn’t work for me. I talked to the guy there just before, and he really sounds like he knows what’s up, so I’m still keen. 5-ish in the afternoon is probably the earliest I could do on weekdays.

My lunctime suggestion was for doing once a week regular classes (but not right away). I can only do lunch. Tetsuo, if you and MK want to do a crash intro course, go ahead without me. I’ve had a little intro anyway.

Brian

Wow, you guys are picky! We’re gonna turn this into a sexist/ageist rant thread if we’re not careful. Actually, a couple of ‘non-blokes’ had pm’d me about the group.
I had asked a nun in her 40’s if she’d be willing to help us out, but she said 9 o’clock was too late. Age and sex aren’t a big concern…uh… in the context of the study group…for me, that is…

Anyway, ty1, how much should we pay your friend if she comes? Free tea, eggrolls and 500 NT? Is that OK with everybody?

Do I count as a ‘bloke’?

I think Mr. T ='s 3 or 4 blokes. I personally don’t care whether it’s they’re bloke or non-bloke, youngish or oldish.

I started getting the kids at school to teach me new stuff. They’re pretty good about correcting (making fun) of my pronunciation too.

OK, so tonight (Wednesday the 20th) will be lesson one. Meeting anywhere from 8:30 to 9 at the aforementioned venue.

And Lesson 2 had a turn out of … 3 students!

Where was everybody?

Our new helper, Joe, taught us some dirty words… uh… I mean, Ty taught us some dirty words and Joe confirmed them.

Anyway, for those of you who missed it, next week same time same place chapter threeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee…

sorry guys, been swamped lately. I guess next week will be a practice session at the Taipei Sports Bar.

Yep, we’re skipping next week for the Forumosa Happy Hour.

Brian