Taiwanese Susan Boyle?

I thought he was just okay.

I could never understand the big deal about Susan Boyle…what could her looks possibly have to do with her singing ability? I watched the clip and everyone seemed really surprised, but I could not for the life of me fathom why…I was much more shocked at everyone’s reaction than at her singing.

They often put “joke” contestants on with very little ability, on the US shows anyway. I’m guessing it must be the same in the UK. People were anticipating that.

aaaah, ok. That might explain it. I don’t watch the show, so I had no idea.

Its like Susan Boyle, Paul Potts, etc. These things are aimed at the great unwashed who have probably never heard a good singer before, so they hear this KTV stuff and think “WOW!” Its just fodder for the braindead.

Sandman, :unamused:

You are such an elitist.

You used to be unwashed, too.

This young man is a genuine talent, and you’re clearly just jealous. :hand:

Some of you may think I was kidding when I said, “I Will Always Love You” is my KTV song. It has been for years. I wish I had a video of myself singing it. I can even hit all the notes, and I am sure that Dolly and Whitney would appreciate my effort.

Unfortunately, you’ll have to settle for a clip of me singing about my horse (kabayo).

can’t hold a note for more than a few seconds (quelle surprise, he’s a fatty novice singer), butchered the song but sounded nice for those unwashed masses. Good luck to him, hope he makes some money and gets nookie.

[quote=“zender”]Sandman, :unamused:

You are such an elitist.

You used to be unwashed, too.
[/quote]
Used to be? You jest, surely? And I take grave offence. I am NOT an elitist. I’m a snob. There IS a difference! :fume:

[quote=“Poagao”]

aaaah, ok. That might explain it. I don’t watch the show, so I had no idea.[/quote]

My mom likes them, which means I got subjected to more than i had bargained for last trip home. some of it is pretty funny though.

The hand-wringing in the media over this guy’s initial success is pretty funny. Pundits are lining up to over-analyze how an ordinary totally unstylish guy was able to pull this one off, calling it from every angle from it was random luck up to and including foreigners don’t know their own music :slight_smile: except the obvious and simple one that he can sing. You can literally see the jealousy pouring off them. It’s quite a lot of fun to watch.

He was in one of my sophomore classes at YZU a few years back. A nice enough fellow - pretty normal 22 year old for Taiwan (at that time). Not really interested in studying, and sang a fair bit back then too.

Good luck Jimmy!

He sounded really bad on the Ellen show. I really hope they don’t give him a make-over. The coolest thing about Paul Potts, this guy is that they don’t look like stars. It was so cute…he just spoke Chinese to Ellen as if she can understand it:D

I’m really glad he got out there…now everyone can see how judgemental people here are. Imagine a US kid being called little fatty.

[quote=“Battery9”]He sounded really bad on the Ellen show. I really hope they don’t give him a make-over. The coolest thing about Paul Potts, this guy is that they don’t look like stars. It was so cute…he just spoke Chinese to Ellen as if she can understand it:D

I’m really glad he got out there…now everyone can see how judgemental people here are. Imagine a US kid being called little fatty.[/quote]

I got a call from my grandmother early in the morning regarding the Ellen show. She was very excited and talked about him for about 10 minutes. I’m very happy for the kid. Must be nice to grow from being bullied to being on the Ellen show and getting a chance to sing with “the man” William Shatner. Lucky kid and I hope he makes the best out of it. Plus as the local News stations stated, he even gets to travel around with and unlimited supply of Haagen Dazs.

Yes, what a dream come true for any singer . . . not the being bullied part; rather the dream of one day singing with William Shatner.

Just one rumor I heard about him using Auto-Tune :noway: , and I think we all consider that cheating. Yeah, Whodathunk Shatner needed Auto-Tune.

Lucky indeed! :lick: :thumbsup: That is MY dream come true! Actually my dream is to have an unlimited supply of Haagen Dazs and travel around my deserted islands (The Toast Islands) with my best friend, Pee Wee, and my wife, Jessica Alba Bender. :cactus: :discodance: :cactus:

Maybe because “entertainment” companies here invest so much dinero into building up nobodies whom they shape into “stars” -special starvation diet, thosuands and thousands in hair, makeup and cool clothes, promotion-… which most of them will never see in a lifetime the kind of exposure this guy got in a single YouTube broadcast…

In summary, he brought their business model down in a single day.