Taiwanese Tae Kwon Do injury?

Most of the time…

Anyone watched Taekwondo yesterday?

[From the Taipei Times]
Su, meanwhile, who aggravated an old injury in her 1-0 first round defeat to South Korea’s Lim Su-jeong, battled into the bronze medal repechage match in a show of guts that would put Taiwan’s baseball team to shame, defeating New Zealand’s Robin Cheong 1-0 in her first repechage outing.

But she suffered heartbreak in her bid for yet another Taiwanese bronze, losing 5-4 in sudden death to Croatia’s Martina Zubcic after the scores were tied at 4-4 following three agonizing rounds, during which she collapsed to the mat in pain on numerous occasions.

Speaking to FTV reporters last night, Su’s mother said “I’m really proud of her,” adding, “she fought with all her strength.”
[End]

Great effort by the girl, she literally fought on one leg in two bouts, defeating the first opponent, and battling the last for three rounds and a sudden-death overtime. She scored twice kicking the other girl in the head, but wasn’t able to score in OT. During the fight she fell down several times, grimacing in pain, but probably risking damaging her knee beyond repair she kept on fighting till the end. Some will say she was stupid, I think she was courageous. Didn’t expect that from a Taiwanese athlete after the disgraceful outings by the baseball team.

i watched that fight too: very tough player. she injured both knees and an ankle, by the looks of it, with a possible cruciate ligament tear in the left knee. makes it very hard to do high kicks. she was hanging tough all the way into overtime, and the match could have gone either way. hats off to a gutsy performance.

Hi
I saw her homecoming on TV last night. They also showed her parents here in Taiwan cheer for her in tears while she was fighting, and crying because she got injured and couldn’t fight properly but still continued…

Does anyone know her name? I would love to see this battle…my friends say it was like something out of a movie…

[quote=“Battery9”]my friends say it was like something out of a movie…[/quote]That would be Karate Kid.

She had a painful-looking knee injury and yes, she showed real balls on the mat. It was something to see, actually. One of those moments that, while it still doesn’t make the Olympics worthwhile, at least reminds you, just for a second, that its not ALL just about advertising.
She’s a REAL Olympian, no doubt about it in my mind.

already discussed in this [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/taiwan-baseball-on-its-way-to-the-beijing-olympics/43601/1

and i learned later that, yes, she did have a torn cruciate ligament in her left knee. top marks. she’s the real Taiwan hero of the games.

Her name is Su Li-wen (蘇麗文).

Here you go: http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=s1rT742wyME

Enjoy (and get some tissues ready).

A true fighter. The clip doesn’t show the previous fight where she was handicapped and in pain already. I thought she wouldn’t show up for the bronze medal bout after that fight.

I loved to see those performances, but I hate how the Taiwanese media now milks the story. Considering how injuries are really part of a contact sport like Taekwondo, it isn’t all so much out of the ordinary. Funny how mainland Chinese fans now blame their 110m hurdles hero Liu Xiang for chickening out of the games with an injury. I think athletes should know best how far their bodies can go and shouldn’t be blamed when there is no way to go on.

I don’t get it. What’s the point of fighting if you know you don’t have a hope. Sprinters don’t start a race if they’ve been injured. I can understand finishing a round, but after that, what’s the point? You’re not giving anyone any competition.

If it’s just about effort, then I’ll watch the Special Olympics.

[quote=“Maoman”]I don’t get it. What’s the point of fighting if you know you don’t have a hope. Sprinters don’t start a race if they’ve been injured. I can understand finishing a round, but after that, what’s the point? You’re not giving anyone any competition.

If it’s just about effort, then I’ll watch the Special Olympics.[/quote]

She had a chance. She led by 2 points and after regular time it was 4-4. Sure, it wasn’t really a nice fight from the other girl’s perspective.

[quote=“hannes”][quote=“Maoman”]I don’t get it. What’s the point of fighting if you know you don’t have a hope. Sprinters don’t start a race if they’ve been injured. I can understand finishing a round, but after that, what’s the point? You’re not giving anyone any competition.

If it’s just about effort, then I’ll watch the Special Olympics.[/quote]
She had a chance. She led by 2 points and after regular time it was 4-4. Sure, it wasn’t really a nice fight from the other girl’s perspective.[/quote]
She had no chance. She was just sticking her foot out, hoping her opponent would run into it. It was a train wreck.

I am not a Taekwondo expert, but based on what I saw she had a chance, albeit a slim one. The Croatian girl had to score too and when you try to score there is always a chance that you will miss and run into a counter-attack.

If only those athletes would compete who have hope to win or get a medal, then the Olympic Games would be over in three days not 16. I think the Taiwanese girl is a good example for what the Games are (or should be about) – pursuing your dreams no matter what.

OK, then, I’m going to pull rank. I was the tkd instructor at my university. :laughing: She had no chance.

She had no chance to survive the first 6 minutes either… :wink:

Maoman, just you shut the fuck up. I’M the hardbitten cynic here. It’s my JOB, godammit! You’re supposed to be the NICE guy.
The woman’s 28 years old, so it was definitely her last chance, she was doing it, apparently, for her dear old dad who’s recently been struck down with oral cancer, and her coach basically banned her from going into the ring, according to Jojo, that Olympic oracle, but she insisted, and goddamn, but she damn near drew a tear to my eye. I was hearing John Williams’ Chariots of Fire theme when she was collapsing there.
Absolutely right you are, she should not have been competing, but GOOD ON HER anyway! She made me proud to be a human for a few seconds there.
A truer Olympian I haven’t seen at these games.
I’m telling you, I would be happy to buy her a drink and to fornicate sweatily with her, and there’s scant praise higher than THAT.

[quote=“sandman”]Maoman, just you shut the fuck up. I’m the hardbitten cynic here. It’s my JOB, godammit! You’re supposed to be the NICE guy.
The woman’s 28 years old, so it was definitely her last chance, she was doing it, apparently, for her dear old dad who’s recently been struck down with oral cancer, and her coach basically banned her from going into the ring, according to Jojo, that Olympic oracle, but she insisted, and goddamn, but she damn near drew a tear to my eye. I was hearing John Williams’ Chariots of Fire theme when she was collapsing there.
Absolutely right you are, she should not have been competing, but GOOD ON HER anyway! She made me proud to be a human for a few seconds there.
A truer Olympian I haven’t seen at these games.
I’m telling you, I would be happy to buy her a drink and to fornicate sweatily with her, and there’s scant praise higher than THAT.[/quote]

:bow: :bow: Nomination for Gold Medal Classic Post this one :slight_smile: :notworthy:

I bet this story ends up in a TAiwanese soap opera soon, maybe with rainie as the lead?

But seriously I totally agree with Sandman. This is what the olympians should be like . I hear how Phelps is headed for endorsements worth hundreds of millions of dollars for the next decade. Upwards of 30 million dollars a year to have his face on kelloggs corn flakes and the such. And all for swimming like a fish…Heck he IS a fish! And he didnt stand to lose any body parts just swimming either. No risk there. And the american gymnasts stand to make millions a year doing the same. Now these gymnasts risk actual injury so their golds are much harder earned. But Im not sure I want that russo/merican fussybitch on MY dang cornflakes thank you!!

Contrast her with that Cuban guy who got disqualified from EVER competing again for kicking the referee on Saturday.

What an unbelievable prick that guy was!

[quote=“Funk500”]Contrast her with that Cuban guy who got disqualified from EVER competing again for kicking the referee on Saturday.

What an unbelievable prick that guy was!

[/quote]

The ref didn’t allow him to compete with a broken toe, so he had to demonstrate that he could still kick someone in the face.

Shes got some nice offers of employment:

Taiwan News Quick Take

STAFF WRITER, WITH AGENCIES
Tuesday, Aug 26, 2008, Page 3

■SPORTS

Universities court heroine

Taekwondo heroine Su li-wen’s (蘇麗文) battling displays at the Beijing Olympics may not have helped her win the gold medal she wanted, but it certainly helped her get her foot in the door at two of the nation’s most prestigious universities. Both National Taiwan Normal University (NTNU) and National Chung Cheng University (NCCU) in Chiayi County expressed interest yesterday in hiring Su as an instructor in their sports departments, a Broadcasting Corp of China story said yesterday. NCCU said it had invited Su, a former student, to return and work as a full-time instructor, while NTNU also offered her a position as an instructor, with benefits and salary comparable to that of a full-time faculty member. Su would only need to coach athletes and would not have to do any research work, they said. The story said NTNU managed to get in touch with Su as soon as the Olympics was over. Su was said to be delighted to hear the news and was willing to carefully consider her options.

OK, then, I’m going to pull rank. I was the tkd instructor at my university. :laughing: She had no chance.[/quote]
Very Gutsy effort, but she had to know she was going to cause herself more injury… Win or lose. Though I was kinda hoping she was going to pull it off at one stage early on…

Have to agree with Maoman though, having competed at a national level back in Australia and also my university TKD instructor, you do come up against those guys who think they are Bruce Lee or Van Damme and think they can fight you balancing on one foot and having the other one waving in the air in front of you. You just need to dance around them enough to make their leg tired and baulk them into a kick and as soon as that leg is on its journey back down, you pounce on them. She was especially at a disadvantage, which for some reason the Croation girl didn’t take advantage of as you knew when the TWN girl’s leg was going down, she couldn’t really support herself on it, hence her falling down so many times. Actually, being a TKD ref too in my younger days, I feel the ref should have stopped it after she fell down with that bad leg so many times.

Ha, my favorite play on rules for the one-leg balancers was to aim a hard kick towards the chest area, you know you probably wouldn’t score, but you knew you would hit their leg, possible causing damage, hopefully a dead leg and as kicking, aiming the kicks to the legs is an illegal technique, it can be classed as a collision of legs during exchanges of kicks. Worked for me on a number of occasions.

Too bad I stopped my TKD competition fighting due to a knee injury too. Geez I miss playing that sport, but got my boy into it. His instructor was the 2000 TWN Olympic coach. He is pretty smooth, wish I could train with him myself.

Oh, just a side note, off topic, sorry, I recently went to Korea and visited the Kukkiwon, saw my instructor’s name in the Museum, Jeong-Tae Kim, the first WTF Heavyweight Champion from back in 1973, but something else I saw interesting was that the Taiwanese National Flag was on display close by to the Chinese National flag. Interesting as when Taiwan does compete internationally, they need to wave special Chinese Taipei flags and have Chinese Taipei badges on their uniforms.