Taiwanese tax cheque

I worked in Taiwan last year and I was owed about NT$65,000 in back taxes. My friend who currently lives in Taiwan sent in the paperwork and collected a cheque for me. He then posted it to me. The problem is, it is all in Chinese. I’m pretty sure I can’t cash it in the USA. What can I do with it? We didn’t have a bank account when we were in Taiwan…

well, you don’t say where you live… what country.? But I would try an International Asian bank …like the Bank of Hong Kong, Citibank, HCBC… good luck and let us know if your successful…

I’m actually in the UK now. We tried to cash the cheque at HSBC as they have a branch in Taipei, however they would not allow us to that as apparently they’re not allowed to deal with TWD outside of Taiwan. I want the money - is there a way to do this through a broker/intermediary?

I goggled this : Can you cash a check given to you by someone in a foreign country who has a different currency in their bank account?
In: Banking
Answer:

Yes.

Just deposit the check into your checking (or savings) account. Your bank will calculate the exchange rate between the two curencies, convert the foreign funds into your home currency, and credit your account with that amount.

Banks being banks, (1) they may “hold” the deposit for a week or so to make sure that the foreign check clears (so they actually get their money); (2) they may charge a “fee” to process that foreign check (so that they actually get some more money) and (3) the exchange rate they quote to you might not be as good as what you read in the paper or online (so they actually get a bit more money).
tell your bank that you’ll until it’s cleared… good luck

Outside Taiwan, that check is worthless - even Taiwanese banks overseas will refuse to deal with them.

Send it back to your friend and ask him/her to deposit in a local account then wire the money to you.

Have things changed that much since I worked in a bank in the 90s? In the US, at that time at least, a customer could bring in a check from anywhere. We’d just send it for collection, which meant that the funds wouldn’t be available to the customer until the check was processed through the origin bank. Maybe it’s different in the UK?

As sleepingtiger said, we’d also charge a handling fee, but you’d eventually get your money. I think I recall someone waiting like a month for a check that was drawn on a bank in Kenya or something, but usually it took a couple of weeks at the most. And that was before the current technology.

Have things changed that much since I worked in a bank in the 90s? In the US, at that time at least, a customer could bring in a check from anywhere. We’d just send it for collection, which meant that the funds wouldn’t be available to the customer until the check was processed through the origin bank. Maybe it’s different in the UK?

As sleepingtiger said, we’d also charge a handling fee, but you’d eventually get your money. I think I recall someone waiting like a month for a check that was drawn on a bank in Kenya or something, but usually it took a couple of weeks at the most. And that was before the current technology.[/quote]

I don’t know, but others have told me they had no luck depositing those tax checks overseas. Maybe it’s something to do with the checks being issued by the central bank as opposed to a commercial bank?