Taiwanese vs. Vietnamese food

Bollocks, it’s not that bad.

Actually, the cockerel testicles are a bit of a mouthful.

2 Likes

I wish I agreed. It would certainly make my life a bit simpler.

18 posts were split to a new topic: Taiwanese Diaspora

Then you’ve never had the purple rice spicy fan-twan for breakfast!

1 Like

Why should he/she/they? He/she/they might come here simply for the fun. You do know about fun, yeah? It involves laughing and unclenching one’s arsecheeks at the same time. It’s how one makes friends even from far away.

2 Likes

I think he means that it would not be expedient opening a restaurant that sells Taiwanese food in any other country but Taiwan.
Taiwanese open “Chinese” places when they move, selling sweet and sour pork, Shanghai steak, Peking duck, fried noodles and fortune cookies.
Most certainly not century eggs, rotten tofu and gummy, sweet, oyster omelets.
The FAMOUS muck just doesn’t feature.

2 Likes

There are two Taiwanese restaurants around Albany, NY. One is more HK noodles, and the other is a sit down place with sushi and regular western “Chinese food.” The family thinks its very good, but I think it’s OK. I just smile and pay the bill. They happy, me happy.

3 Likes

Yep. I’ve been to many Taiwanese-owned restaurants in South Africa, and it’s all western “Chinese food”.
I wonder why the FAMOUS Taiwanese food doesn’t ever feature on the menus. :thinking:

Food is fucking food. I won’t travel thousands of miles and spend thousands of dollars for a sandwich made of sweet baby pigs entrails. The ONLY place I can say the food was top five on a vacation/trip was Hokkaido. But if you don’t like seafood, sashimi or ramen, yer fooked.

1 Like

So you’re saying loosening up your ass is how you make friends?

Anal Kegels are the key to happy retirement.

3 Likes

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: Cannot predict now

1 Like

I feel like lots of people abroad would like a Taiwanese breakfast shop…outside of that yeah not much would export well I’m afraid.

卡啦雞腿堡 (kalajituibao) fried chicken sandwiches have the potential to be amazing here, not to mention 燒餅 (shaobing).

I imagine a TW breakfast shop could do quite well in California, even Washington. I assume there are a few out there already.

3 Likes

Mmmm. Mushy congee rice with sweet pork floss. Just what the world has been waiting for!

4 Likes

Yeah not sure why Yonghe Doujiang isn’t an international chain already like Dintaifeng. I’ve seen plenty of knockoffs in China though.

2 Likes

I was assuming he meant

Shaobing
Congzhuabing
Danbing
Luobogao
Baozi

Etc…

I’d agree breakfast is the best part of Taiwanese cuisine and the most easily exportable.

4 Likes

Really? Are you serious? Most of that stuff is steeped in rancid oil and has been prepared in a filthy kitchen.

Oxymoron.

You said GOOD Bahn Mi. I’ve never had a good Bahn Mi in Taiwan. Open to places to try to confirm my suspicion that it just doesn’t exist here.

2 Likes

It’s always hilarious when these OT threads get five times the number of replies as the original threads they’re split from.

6 Likes