Taiwanese winners talk about Taiwan during their speech [Grammys 2022]

[1:45:00 to 1:46:00]

6 Likes

Watch the Grammys issuing apology after Chinese cunts lodge a complaint.

8 Likes

I really liked the opening performance with the mixture of blues, Hawaiian and Indian music.

Just what I needed after hearing some local guy in 7-11 continually shouting drunkenly into his phone loads of racist remarks about all people from certain countries being no good.

1 Like

John Cena can issue it on their behalf.

3 Likes

Which countries were on his list of hate ?

China, China, Russia, and China.

2 Likes

It was you! :upside_down_face:

I don’t get drunk anymore.

1 Like

Definitely Spain, repeatedly. I heard him mention my native UK as the sliding doors opened to let me in and thought, “Oh, here we go.” Later I thought he mentioned the US, and he definitely said

at one point. He talked about foreigners in general at several points, but his favorite phrase was “Spanish people are all…”

It wasn’t my business, so I never walked up to him and said,
“Keep my friends’ country out of your fucking mouth.” BUT he made it my business by conducting the telephone/video (I didn’t look) call on speakerphone and shouting as though he wanted the whole street to hear. The sobbing girl on the other end and his frequent use of the words “handsome”, “pian(zi)” and “treat … like trash” gave enough clues as to his self-righteous cause.

After sitting in my usual seat around the corner and shouting a few sarcastic rebuttals of his logic every time he committed fallacies of hasty generalization about Spaniards, I sat and ruminated on all the historical raping, pillaging, slaving, and other similar succesful interactions (in Darwinian terms) between males and females of different tribes, and the awful stories I was reading about Ukrainians being found dead and tied up.

The worker in the 7-11 apologised to me when I left. But I still cried when I watched the start of that video. Thank you, @DunderMifflin for reminding this sentimental old fool of the hope he used to feel long ago and way before Brexit.

This seems to be the group, singing movingly in Amis, for whom the Taiwanese winners designed the album cover. It’s quite the groove!

Guy

1 Like

And more details, from the youtube link provided above:

2nd Generation Falangao Singing Group & The Chairman Crossover Big Band (Pakelang)

The Amis are one of the indigenous groups in Taiwan and speak an Austronesian language. They are traditionally classified as a matrilineal society and have many traditional rituals. Each Amis community has its own varied ritual dates and procedures. The name of the album Pakelang in the Amis language is a music and dance celebration held after a good harvest or the end of work. In Amis society, a pakelang will be held when a festival comes to an end, a house construction is completed, a member passes an important exam, or someone gets promoted. Nonetheless, if a misfortune happens, a pakelang will be held to manifest that it is over and welcomes a brand new start. The term itself is of rich cultural significance and strength.

This album is the result of the collaboration of the “Second Generation Falangao Singing Group” and “The Chairman.” The original Falangao Singing Team is an Amis ancient tune singing group led by Difang Duana (Guo Yingnan), and its second generation team is led by his son Jiang Jinxing (Bai Lang) who inherited his legacy. The Chairman is a well-known rock band in Taiwan. They have been entitled to a fascinating career of more than 20 years with countless music awards received at home and abroad. The collaboration of the two musical giants has sparked unlimited possibilities for this album, creating a unique style of world music enriched by Taiwan’s local culture, which also transcends any musical borders.

About Design
Taiwan is an island nation surrounded by oceans. The designer started out with the
images of Taiwan’s east coast in mind, using paper cutout to show the silhouettes of coastlines, mountain ranges, late Difang Duana (Guo Yingnan), and the Amis people singing in order to symbolize the idea of cultural traditions passed down from one generation to another. Exterior packaging is made of celluloid to symbolize the open and inclusive spirit of the oceans by which the people live, with the hope that it will deliver this beautiful culture to every corner in the world through music and singing voices.

Guy

2 Likes