Taiwanese winter favorites?

Are there any foods that are either mainly sold in the winter time, or that is particularly traditional to eat during this period?

Sweet potatoes.

2 Likes

Mandarin oranges, sweet potato sweet soup with ginger, medicinal hot pots with lamb or duck

2 Likes

Drunken chicken!

1 Like

羊肉爐
薑母鴨
火鍋

3 Likes

Ginger-based drinks should be back in season at TenRen tea shop. Nice for warming up.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Is it winter now?
Omg its so cold…

• 麻辣鍋 Spicy Hot Pot
  • 酸菜白肉鍋 meat with pickled cabbage hot pot
  • 麻油雞 sesame oil chicken soup
  • 薑母鴨 ginger duck stew
  • 泰式火鍋 Tom Yum hotpot
  • 四神湯 Sishen Soup
  • 熱薑茶 Ginger tea with brown sugar

My favorite is clay pot porridge (砂鍋粥).

you can tell it is winter because its raining every day.

Black sesame dumplings. Love the sweet, lava-like filling that oozes out when you bite into it on a cold winter day.

2 Likes

Hot 豆花 with ginger soup. My favorite 豆花 place only sells hot for half the year and cold for the other half, and I don’t really care much for the cold stuff.

I googled this and found the following picture - what are those lumpy things on the bottom half of the dish?image

豆花 is basically sweet tofu pudding (though I think to non-Taiwanese that name doesn’t necessarily sound appetizing). The picture you put looks like dòuhuā with some toppings on it, I’m not totally sure what the stuff in the bottom is but my guess would be some of those chewy sweet potato cubes you can get in a lot of dessert dishes here. Similar to shaved ice, you can get 豆花 with peanuts, red beans, sweet potato / taro cubes, boba, 粉圓, etc.

That stuff at the bottom looks like mochi of some kind.