Taiwanese women desire for English teachers

I’ve been using Tinder for 2 months and met a very nice Taiwanese lady we are dating. She has no concerns that I’m not a English teacher.

I’m young retired with a income from UK that I would consider desirable to ladies?
No way man not to Taiwanese ladies.
Tinder matches first thing they ask: are you a English teacher.
Reply: no I’m retired.
Unmatched almost instantly!
2 weeks ago 3 in a hour did that to me.
Present relationship goes down the pan, fuck I’m going to enroll as a English teacher.

2 Likes

Imo They dont want English teachers its a red flag :triangular_flag_on_post:

8 Likes

They might see you as old.

Perhaps find another way to describe your current life?

Cheers,
Guy

7 Likes

Op do you have a arc ?

If not maybe its seen as unstable?

2 Likes

Good point, no I don’t!
However doesn’t tend get that far.
Yes I think you’ve hit nail on the head there.

I done a TEFL course online and passed I have a City and Guilds grade 5 so I can enroll in a Buxiban?

Truth I want to live here now and a female companion/wife would be good.
I’m NOT looking for a wife APRC.

1 Like

Tell them you are an English teacher… (You’re willing to teach English to the right person. :wink: )

4 Likes

All foreigners in Taiwan are English teachers, so they just assume you’re a liar.

24 Likes

I think telling them you’re retired
A. .Makes you sound old
B. Makes you sound boring.

I don’t think it’s the English teacher issue.

Just noticed @afterspivak already said it makes you look old.

8 Likes

Wait, why are you on Tinder whilst in a relationship?

3 Likes

They assumed you were making a smartass joke.

“Are you an English teacher?”

“No, I’m retired!”

9 Likes

English teachers are probbaly desirable because they have western beliefs and thus a higher chance of not being ultra petty, and/or oppressive. no chinese culture family to deal with (double important for women looking for men) and you have an income that is good enough. Plus this culture likes the power that teachers throw around and tend to be respected more for it. Dont assume they like you based on your intelligence with this filter.

3 Likes

:rofl:

:rofl:[quote=“dan2006, post:8, topic:199617”]
makes you look old.
[/quote]

Photographs on Tinder so they can judge that.
I’m a old 57?

Did I say that? I was talking past present.

I could say retired English teacher, grow a beard and look like one?

No but just the word ‘retired’ conjures up an image of snowbirds in Florida.

3 Likes

@LondonSpice you’re over-thinking it.

Tinder most likely matches people based on keywords and attributes. And each swipe increases/decreases the strength of the keywords and attributes.

The results you are experiencing is because those particular women are looking for 1) a foreigner, 2) speaks English, and potentially other attributes like hair color, eye color, height, etc

So you’re overgeneralizing when you say “Taiwanese women desire…”

4 Likes

If you’re retired, you’ll no doubt run into the perception that you’re old and inactive. But if you’re an English teacher, you’ll run into the perception among some women that you don’t have a good enough job and income (read: that you’re sort of a loser).

Source: local friends, my girlfriend, and women I met before I met my girlfriend.

5 Likes

I thought English teachers made good income? What’s considered a good job?

Before corona times I’d get asked “are you tourist” on tinder quite a bit as a conversation starter by women

1 Like

Your salary as teacher is good if your 22, but once your 30+ it’s not.

You don’t really advance in that profession, as you would in a “real” profession

5 Likes

I don’t know what they are? Plus do keep having to add present time photos of me to see what I am.

I don’t agree. 4 photos a good description of myself, and they have to match to talk!
I may also add looking for my own age group.
I’m not on now otherwise I would of happily given you a link to see.

Anyhow end of topic.
I shall buy myself a used brown corduroy jacket and glasses to look the part future interviews.

2 Likes

I feel like once you’re 30+ you can open up your own schools, like this millionaire english teacher

1 Like

An average monthly salary of $70k isn’t that bad by any measure in Taiwan at any age. But it seems that many women look to eventually settle down with a rich businessman (if most of my students are an indication) and a salarymans income won’t be enough. One not only needs an expensive house but the ability to buy the lifestyle (trips, dinners out at fancy places, nice car)

2 Likes