Taiwanese Xiao Chi culture/Night markets

taiwanese food cleanliness is lacking, i agree. but unless you want to starve you must get over it. I did htis by telling myself, and it is true, that all processed foods in western countries are easily as dirty. doritos source their corn from where? some big factory that have rat nests in the silos. its just reality…unless you eat very fresh and get it from the source, humans are jsut dirtier than we care to admit, in any country. Taiwan just wears this on the outside, where is western countries there is some kind of effort to hide it, but it is still in existence.

personally i am a sucker for the fried chick/yam fry combo. and maybe a couple other thing is feel like at the time. From what i see of markets around here, as tehy are only once a week usually, they are more a fun community get together than a go buy something. its the atmosphere, which i find people here like…and people here tend to enjoy crowds more than empty areas…very hard for me to get used to when i first landed here.

Taiwanese fruit is spectacular (despite the amount of chemicals used to grow it), but i hate that pre prepared night market boxed fruit…old and stale and dirtier. day markets buying whole fruit are not only better and fresher, but way cheaper. $20/jin for mangos, $15/jin Lychee…only in day markets as far as i can tell.

perhaps one of my most favorite things about taiwan night markets is i can crack a beer and wander around chatting to people without getting shit and just having an all around good time. there are no negative vibes in a night market unless you choose to make them. its a happy fun place, and everyone goes there for that reason it seems

[quote=“Pingdong”]There are 1000’s of night markets in Taiwan. one night market here is only about 4 vendors :smiley: so many differnet things, yet they all have so much in common.

not knowing any chinese it might be hard to figure some things out, as some things are new to a westerner. in cities, some people at market speak english…i notice more foreigners actually being vendors at markets now, not just food though.

when you come, if you are down south towards Pingdong I can show you some smaller version night markets and also some around aboriginal areas…though they are all pretty much the same as i see it…food/clothes/games/household stuff/pets/end of market.[/quote]

Hey, there

thank you for your response.
I am actually a Taiwanese,haha, doing this project is all about my passion of Home-cuisine.
Guess you are from Ping Dong? I had been living there for a year when I was little.
Do you always take your foreigner friends visiting Taiwan Night Markets?

Cheers.
Ruby

[quote=“Pingdong”]taiwanese food cleanliness is lacking, I agree. but unless you want to starve you must get over it. I did htis by telling myself, and it is true, that all processed foods in western countries are easily as dirty. doritos source their corn from where? some big factory that have rat nests in the silos. its just reality…unless you eat very fresh and get it from the source, humans are jsut dirtier than we care to admit, in any country. Taiwan just wears this on the outside, where is western countries there is some kind of effort to hide it, but it is still in existence.

personally I am a sucker for the fried chick/yam fry combo. and maybe a couple other thing is feel like at the time. From what i see of markets around here, as tehy are only once a week usually, they are more a fun community get together than a go buy something. its the atmosphere, which I find people here like…and people here tend to enjoy crowds more than empty areas…very hard for me to get used to when i first landed here.

Taiwanese fruit is spectacular (despite the amount of chemicals used to grow it), but i hate that pre prepared night market boxed fruit…old and stale and dirtier. day markets buying whole fruit are not only better and fresher, but way cheaper. $20/jin for mangos, $15/jin Lychee…only in day markets as far as i can tell.

perhaps one of my most favorite things about taiwan night markets is i can crack a beer and wander around chatting to people without getting shit and just having an all around good time. there are no negative vibes in a night market unless you choose to make them. its a happy fun place, and everyone goes there for that reason it seems[/quote]

Hey,

please let me know your name! :slight_smile:
it seems that you quite enjoy Taiwanese culture, ha~ good to know it!
I just wondering that the Night Market experience you pitched, was it about one particular Night Market? or you were talking about the general Night Market experience that you had in Taiwan?

BTW, I would love to have a chance to have a simple interview with you if it is possible, it could be on-line chatting or emailing or any other ways you prefer. please let me know you have time to do so. and firstly, please help me with this on-line survey by simply clicking on the link :http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9RWF2PK

http://www.facebook.com/ruby.ting#!/groups/taiwanxiaochi/
Here is the Facebook page that I created for the open-discussion of Taiwanese Xiao-chi and Night Market,
The news and relevant information will be posted continuously. please take time to visit it as well. :slight_smile:

my email: rubybaby12@gmail.com

cheers
Ruby

[quote=“Chris”]I love night markets, and I’m always fascinated by the strange foods available there. Not that I’ll eat everything they offer… duck tongues and rooster combs aren’t exactly my cup of tea. But I love trying out some of the tastier-looking items.

I have few problems communicating because I speak Chinese fairly well. My favorite night market in Taipei is Raohe Street, because it still retains much of the old-time character that was ironed out of the other Taipei night markets by Ma Ying-jeou during his mayorship.[/quote]

Hey Chris,

thanks for your response :slight_smile:
how long have you been in Taipei? and what do you think of Shi-lin?
As you don’t have much difficulty of communicating with the vendors,
have you taken any your friends visiting Night Markets and how’s the interaction?

I sent you an email for more detail, please have a look. :slight_smile:

Ruby

[quote=“zender”]How many of you, when you first heard of, “fish balls” assumed they meant fish testicles? Don’t tell me I’m the only one. :no-no:

I say Shilin’s the worst night market because it’s so crowded.[/quote]

:eh: Agree with you, shi-lin is over crowded!
about the ‘Fish balls lost in translation’, I am also thinking of the way people name the Food in term of using different languages. maybe it will be better to pronounce it as its local sounds, and plus a short description? :ponder:

[quote=“rubybaby12”]

:eh: Agree with you, Shilin is over crowded!
about the ‘Fish balls lost in translation’, I am also thinking of the way people name the Food in term of using different languages. maybe it will be better to pronounce it as its local sounds, and plus a short description? :ponder:[/quote]

I thoroughly agree. In English, we usually phoneticise the name of the foreign food item. For example, we say ‘sashimi’, which sounds way better than ‘raw fish’. But Chinese and Taiwanese usually insist on direct translation: therefore we end up with horrible names like ‘Stinky tofu’ and ‘River Powder’ (he fen).

Count me in with those who don’t really get the appeal of nightmarkets. I hate crowds, and most of the food is either gross (way too oily, or too much meat, or just weird) or just kind of boring (rice with some pork on it - woohoo :unamused: ). There are some things that are ok, like dumplings, or that roasted corn, or that soup thing that Shi-da is famous for. The only thing I’m excited to eat is mango ice, and that’s only available during the summer. I guess the stalls with foreign food can also be interesting, but they’re pretty rare outside of Taipei. I do appreciate the convenience of some night markets - I live close to Gongguan, and the nightmarket is open later than many restaurants, so I have been there occasionally. And they’re a cheap place to just get a plate of fried rice or a bowl of noodles or something, which can be useful. But 90% of my nightmarket visits are because the Taiwanese that I’m eating with want to go there for dinner. Maybe 5% are because I happen upon one when I’m hungry, and remaining 5% are on purpose.

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”][quote=“rubybaby12”]

:eh: Agree with you, Shilin is over crowded!
about the ‘Fish balls lost in translation’, I am also thinking of the way people name the Food in term of using different languages. maybe it will be better to pronounce it as its local sounds, and plus a short description? :ponder:[/quote]

I thoroughly agree. In English, we usually phoneticise the name of the foreign food item. For example, we say ‘sashimi’, which sounds way better than ‘raw fish’. But Chinese and Taiwanese usually insist on direct translation: therefore we end up with horrible names like ‘Stinky tofu’ and ‘River Powder’ (he fen).[/quote]

“River Power” is way too much … :doh:

When I first arrived in Kaohsiung I had never seen anything like a typical Taiwanese night market. I fell in love with them. I went to one every Friday night just down the road from the school I was working at, and every Sunday night around the corner from my apartment. I never gave sanitation or chemical ingedients a second thought. The guy selling the steak/noodles would usually buy me a beer because he had never seen anyone order a third serving before I showed up. I loved the crowds, the different foods, the games, the auction, the shopping…

This was all back in the day when the night market was on the street and not in a parking lot. I’m not sure if I just got sick of it or if it was the move of the night markets off the street that made me lose interest. I still go to the one in the town I’m living in every Friday night, but mostly because my 8 year old daughter insists on going. I do have dinner there, usually 2 Taiwan-style shawarma as I watch my daughter bounce around in the bouncy castle for 20 minutes.