Taiwan's 2024 Presidential Election

There is no bigger proponent of green energy in Taiwan than the DPP.

We’ve been over this. Actions were taken, and are still happening. You can say it’s not enough, especially now there’s a global inflation, but it’s very hard to say it’s through DPP inaction.

Resolving road safety issue is going to require changes in city planning laws and property laws more than just traffic laws.

Its not that difficult, which is why so many people are saying it

Yes, and be deep into debt. True story for the last 5 new hires in my department.

The only way to resolve road safety issue is by banning motorbikes. If anyone’s bothered to check the stats, almost 70% of all road fatalities is motorbike riders.

Would love to hear you elaborate on how it can be achieved.

You see that is exactly the reason why property price would never go down in Taiwan. People would rather be deep into debt at 22 than renting.

This kind of culture simply doesn’t allow for property price to be low.

No one is willing to piss off the motorcyclist voters. You can’t even ask them to ride in the middle of the lane like it says in the traffic rules.

I havent been in power for 8 years. Its not my job. I also didnt get elected on promises to change these things.

Which is exactly why Ko will never solve this problem.

↑ I’d say this is why people don’t want to rent. The feeling of maybe being asked to leave when the yearly contract expires is ok if you are single. Not ok if you have a family.

I haven’t been in power either, doesn’t stop me from thinking about what could be changed to improve things.

3 Likes

Eh, no. Even with all the renter protections in the world, people would still rather buy. It’s the culture. People think renting is paying mortgage for the landlord.

I just find everyone so fucking delusional about property prices in Taiwan. Everyone and their mother want to buy asap and hope the property value to go up after they do, yet they are angry that property price is too high?

I haven’t been in power for 8 years either, and I am clearheaded enough to see why some problems remain problems and observe the positive changes.

Then this is becoming a class thing because those mothers who want to buy asap probably would shell out for her son’s down payment, which means they are already at least middle class, if not owning several houses of their own.

I’d say put the renter protection in there and see what happens.

1 Like

It’s an expression. I don’t mean an actual mother is shelling out for son’s down payment.

It’s usually what happens… For high-tech newbies, I’d say at least 80% of the time that’s what happens.

1 Like

This post is pretty spot on.

And Lai actually has the clearest understanding about the property speculation in Taiwan.

In many countries, the only young people who can buy housing are those whose parents give them money for a deposit

Btw, renter’s protection means there would be a shortage because property owners would rather not lease it out than deal with a tenant who refuses to clear out, which would in turn drive up rent even more. This is what happens in countries like France. You need a deposit of 3 months rent, a guarantor, interviews and all sorts of crap to rent a shitbox in Paris.

Change the system to this one and see how people would react, lol.

Here is one example of one reason why the problem isn’t just motorcycles

Replace all of the scooters with cars and we’ll not see a better overall traffic situation. Fewer motorcycle deaths, OK, but more cyclist and pedestrian deaths, and also more gridlock and more parking problems.

The root issue isn’t the scooters, it is the driving culture. Pedestrians wander into traffic and cars use the scooter lane. Following laws on the roads isn’t the culture here :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That makes no sense at all. If the traffic is in gridlock there wouldn’t be more pedestrian and cyclist deaths as they would be completely jammed and not able to drive above 10 miles/hour.

So yes, if it’s possible to replace all the motorbikes with cars, road fatality would probably really go down to Japan’s level or even lower, as every city/town would become an open air parking lot.