Taiwan's 2024 Presidential Election

How do you mean? Obviously election reform is needed for change, but a growing third party isnt a bad things. no?

If you think Lai should distance himself from the Taiwanese independence position, and CSB is still arguing for Taiwan and China are two separate nations on each sides of the strait, hence his 一邊一國黨, and Ke is all about not angering China, and not getting too close with the US, i.e. not to pick a side in the US-China conflict, then what is the political purpose of them meeting?

Not if that third party is all shitheads.

If the other parties are KMT and TPP I would rather DPP rule forever.

Bros hanging out and enjoying good vibes?

Its not that I think he should, its that the society has changed. Tsai is seen as a safe pair of hands because she is more moderate and willing to compromise.

Sounds like you’ve seen me mention ranked-choice voting multiple times, but never bothered to figure out what it’s for.

The first-past-the-post voting system we have now is mathematically proven to encourage a two party oligarchy because the two parties can each take a position on a couple of key issues without real political solutions, and use that to hijack all elections, rendering all other issues that could be resolved by policies pointless.

The only way out of it is to get rid of first past the post, and go with some form of ranked-choice voting, plus mixed-member proportional representation. Right now Taiwan has neither. The party list is mixed-member, but it isn’t exactly proportional.

2 Likes

But thats the same as a lot of places. Same as UK. Need election reform, but the major parties have vested interest in that not happening and neither is it much of a vote winner.

Why do you think Ko is not pushing for election reform?

UK doesn’t have ranked choice voting or mix-proportional representation. Well Scotland and Wales does have mix-proportional representation, and London for local elections. You need to look to New Zealand for a country to have both ranked choice voting and mix-proportional representation.

No I mean that the UK has a FPtP system that everyone with a brain knows is a cancer to real change, but none of the parties are actively trying to change it.

I understand perfectly why most Democrats/Republicans in the US or why Labour and Conservative parties in the UK, or why the DPP and the KMT wouldn’t want to change the voting system. They are the parties hijacking the FPtP system, and they see it as a way to pass their agenda when it became their term to be in charge.

In the UK, since the Prime minister is chosen by the leading coalition in the parliament, at least minor parties or regional parties gets a say when there’s no clear majority. So I see why some of those smaller parties might be ok with the situation.

What I don’t understand is why smaller parties here in Taiwan didn’t seize their chance back in 2016, or at least just make it a constant part of the national dialogue.

1 Like

but why do you think this is the case?

Also what has happened to the NPP?

I don’t believe these politicians have never heard of the concept. My guess is that most of the time that the DPP won, the major factor is a split in the Blue camp, so those in the green camp might feel they will be in a perpetual losing position with a different voting system. I don’t think that will be the case though, especially with the new generation of voters. Without voting reform, I think it’s the green camp that’s going to be splitting the votes down the road.

The NPP was supposed to be formed by the students and those senior social activists that led them during the 2014 sun flower movement. However, it has since became a Huang Kuo-chang party, where Huang and those close to him can determine if someone is NPP enough or just label them as DPP-lite. That has managed to force out ALL young NPP politicians, including very hardworking ones like Miaoli’s Tseng Wen-hsueh (曾玟學). That guy not being in Taiwan’s politics is a true loss for Taiwan.

I’ve suggested that the NPP should start using ranked choice voting in their own elections, and start a national conversation. I’m a no body, so I’m not surprised no one gave a rats ass. I’m just disappointed. I thought they could rise above all this internal political struggle crap.

2 Likes

I like Huang though. He seems to be a good man.

I like most of Huang’s policies and political view, but I wish he would have cultivated young NPP legislators and city councilors, and given them more room. I don’t see how forcing them out helps the party. Regardless, it’s not going to be a player in this election. It’s pretty sad to see it end. I still prefer the NPP over the TMD.

?

Taiwan Mingzhong Dang.

oh got it. They seem to use TPP as the acronym of choice

TPP is Tsiúnn Ūi-súi (蔣渭水)'s party. To separate the two, I think it’s better to use TMD to refer to Ke Wenzhe’s party.

I dont think TMD is a good acronym to use in Taiwan though, tbh.

It’s fitting for a POS party.