Taiwan's 2024 Presidential Election

I think most people here would want to avoid a situation such as that which is happening in Ukraine right now. It has been argued by some that Ukraines war could have been avoided if some concessions were made to Russia, even if those concessions were viewed as unreasonable demands by Russia and Ukraine as a sovereign country could do as it pleased.

It’s been widely discussed since the war broke out, its not something that just started on February 24th 2022, but those caught in the echo chamber of the MSM just don’t want to hear it.

Glenn Greenwald had a good discussion on the lead up to the invasion and as Jeffrey Sachs points out it was totally avoidable, certainly predicted by just about everybody, but demands like never joining NATO were non negotiable to Ukraine or the the West.

Excuse me for going off topic, There’s a better clip somewhere with just the Jeffrey Sachs part, it’s quite illuminating from someone who has been part of the diplomatic process in that part of the world for decades.

They were brought up as far back as 2008, try keeping an open mind and watch the Sachs clip.

That’s right, watch the Sachs clip, he had this discussion with the white house in November or December (I forget which) 2021, before the war but was clear what was coming whereby he was urging them to assure Russia that Ukraine would not become a part of NATO and was told point blank that as per White House policy, that was not negotiable or on the table.

Taiwan isn’t Ukraine. It’s completely moot

I am all ears for any solution.

I edited to add Taiwan context.

Sachs is a China shill

His stuff on Taiwan has been terrible.

Guy

1 Like

Think he is on Beijings payroll

No idea. On other matters he seems to be a thoughtful man. :person_shrugging:

Guy

He is often on CGTN and they wheel him out to defend various policies

You don’t think those two are just quietly enjoying the nice view of Xiamen together, like bros?

So that’s where I’ll built more factories. When my workers jump, you can do the surgery to get them repaired and back to work soon, right?

Guy

1 Like

Sure, we all get that. Taiwan could try rewriting it’s constitution, after all it’s non of Chinas business. Any predictions on how that will work out?

1 Like

Just a Beijing Talking head

More like: all that will be ours as soon as we win the election, (insert evil laughter).

KMT victory next January will probably save the planet and all its species!

Beacon of hope of democracy!

Do you have a source for that? :upside_down_face:

Guy

So one of the talk shows was discussing who did Guo made that “show” for. Who did he want to see him then and there. The hosts think it is to force the KMT hand, as they are afraid of a Guo-Ko alliance.

Not only them. Shiver. Shiver.

1 Like

Some analysis I read stated that the vagueness of Guo’s statements about his hangout with Ko is a way to gain more leverage with KMT decisionmakers, who are in the process of finalizing the legislative yuan candidates—and this would presumably give Guo some bargaining room to get his people nominated . . .

Of course the KMT could just tell him to toss off, and hope that the hard core mainlander wing of the party looks at Lai and grits their teeth and votes for Hou . . .

This is getting interesting isn’t it. :popcorn:

Guy