Taiwan's aging population, low birth rates, and Taiwan's ethnic makeup

That being the case, you must be doing a bit of alright on the rock then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think its more the crazy cost of Pharmaceuticals, the Health insurance companies leeching and the Hospital adding their own costs/profits than the Doctors salaries.

1 Like

Ill assume by earners you meant salaried doctors, perhaps working for a hospital.

Well I guess some truism there. Especially in view that the original taiwanese aboriginals apparently left Taiwan to populate the phillippines and indonesia and malaysia and so it would be like coming home again for those ethnics. Don’t forget to include the maori of n.zealand then.

It seems to me after a spending past few weeks is clean air New Zealand, few Maori would move to Taiwan. Besides language, big problem in gap in living standards. Taiwan really needs to improve standard of living, otherwise it will hard to attract talented people which are needed. We have moved some of our companies functions to NZ/AU, due the movement to skilled people to there. The main reason people move is better living standard, mean also means better pay to live better.

2 Likes

It seems to me Maori are basically westerners now I don’t think that they could really hack living Taiwan aboriginal lifestyle somehow.
Aboriginals in Taiwan are also heavily influenced by Chinese culture. But they still live quite rural and wild lifestyles too.
But main difference is the climate in reality.

Totally agree that to attract better educated types you need a better living environment.

Taiwan could get quite a few Indonesians and phillipinos if they wanted

Certainly could. If you look on Facebook you will see many Filipinos would move to Taiwan if given the chance.

Found this gem while checking some data on birth rates. Enjoy.

One of his quotes:

2 Likes

Hi Icon, thanks for posting this–the first article is really well written and the data on the second one is interesting. On the second article, it looked like the reproduction rate in East Asia overall wasn’t bad–higher than the US. I wonder who is having kids in East Asia. North Korea? Does Mongolia count? I teach at a school where every teacher over age 50 has kids (most have 2-3). For teachers my age, about half are married and none of the others have kids.

I do think in terms of ethnic makeup, new immigrants, aborigines, and others may eventually change Taiwan’s makeup. In the first article, it was interesting to me that SE Asian immigrants are less interested in marrying Taiwanese.

The SE Asian is a case where better opportunities and word of mouth of the bad conditions in marriages here combined.

What would really kill the mail bride industry is legalizing surrogacy. Once they have to pay for the babies instead of buying the mother and kicking her out, it will be another story.

1 Like

That really happens?
That is horrific!

SOP.

Though in theory they eliminated the “pairing” companies.

Some year ago (last years of the previous KMT administration), I was responsible for translating Taiwan’s Population Policy White Paper. I don’t know the current trend, but from news reports I suspect it’s the same, which is to say it isn’t the Southeast Asian population which is likely to grow much, although it has increased since the DDP have been in power, but the aboriginal population. You see, the Southeast Asian population, how many come here and how long they stay, is dependent on circumstances back in their own country. At first, in the 1990s, nearly all Southeast Asian workers were Thai construction workers. Now Taiwan is not so attractive to Thais because the average earnings between Thailand and Taiwan have closed a lot. Something similar can be expected to happen with Indonesia and Vietnam in time. Salaries for many jobs have barely risen here in several decades.

I just did a video on the population decline here, which is here (actually it’s about the decline of the waishengren population, but if you’re interested in the white paper is at about 13 mins 30 seconds in):

8 Likes

Very interesting. Thank you!

Guy

It’s already happening with the Vietnamese. We’ve lost quite a few recently. I’ve kept in touch with a couple of them and they state they are now making as much, if not more than they were making in Taiwan. No worries though, the labor brokers are starting to bring in workers from other impoverished nations.

Because aborigines are having more children, or at least not having less and less like the rest of the population in Taiwan?

Yeh, exactly, impoverished nations! Finally it’s only the poorest of central African nations that will find Taiwan’s never-changing salaries attractive.

Wait what.

Guy

Thinking outside the box:

4 Likes