Taiwan's Apple Daily closure

Sudden closure, from May 18th on. Affecting over 300 employees.

5 Likes

I am glad that they are keeping the digital, I enjoy it.

Sad, now I’ll never be able to join the list of prominent Forumosans who have made the front page. :sob:

No matter how deep one thinks they are integrated into Taiwan, the expat is always only one step away from being front page fodder for the Apple Daily.
–Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho

4 Likes

The only paper thick enough to stop the condensation on your lemonade from hitting the table. What a waste.

1 Like

Wonder if relates to Jimmy Lai’s assets seizures.

4 Likes

Also wondering how much the ccp oppression of hong kong is deciding this.

As much as we all love to make fun of apple daily, it will be missed!

Online is certainly more sustainable and environmentaly friendly, but something about free media available in print just seems right.

2 Likes

Apple Daily always had the best color pictures, graphs, charts, worthless gossip.

1 Like

Please remember that the Apple Daily is not actually just a tabloid though. It’s where you take news that no other newspaper will publish. While the person, company, or organization targeted in the Apple Daily will always say they were “attacked by a tabloid”, the reality is that they’re willing to let the world know about rotten businesses and people that no one else will. Sometimes it’s unnecessary gossip, sometimes it’s actually information that the government/ultra wealthy don’t want you to know

5 Likes

They always appeared to be anti foreigner to me. Nothing of value was lost

1 Like

They did seem to be.

However, avoice of free speech wa lost. Or transitioned, will be interesting to see how the online form takes shape without physical prints.

2 Likes