Taiwan's Awesome Fruits!

Description fail :slight_smile:.

The wax apple is also knows as the bell fruit. It’s also nothing like an apple or an onion really is it?

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Description fail :slight_smile:.

The wax apple is also knows as the bell fruit. It’s also nothing like an apple or an onion really is it?[/quote]

hahaha I know! I suck at describing something I haven’t seen in a while! not really, I am still unsure how to describe it, not quite like a pear either… haha

It’s fairly unique alright. It’s also not red inside but more pale colour :slight_smile:, it’s only red on the outside if I recall rightly.

Anothe name for a variety of wax apple bred in Taiwan, the black pearl, which I quite like. Although its hardly like a pearl either!

[quote=“Pein_11”][quote=“headhonchoII”]Description fail :slight_smile:.

The wax apple is also knows as the bell fruit. It’s also nothing like an apple or an onion really is it?[/quote]

hahaha I know! I suck at describing something I haven’t seen in a while! not really, I am still unsure how to describe it, not quite like a pear either… haha[/quote]

I think the best way to call it is just to refer to it as Jambu. It’s the Indian name/Indonesian name/Taiwanese name/Chinese name/, the fruit originated from India. It’s heavily modified in Taiwan.

I really like the apple mango. It’s huge, red and purple, with a little seed and lots of flesh. It is tart for a mango but has wonderful flavor when ripe.

[quote=“hansioux”]
I think the best way to call it is just to refer to it as Jambu. It’s the Indian name/Indonesian name/Taiwanese name/Chinese name/, the fruit originated from India. It’s heavily modified in Taiwan.[/quote]

Interesting… sometimes I wonder what kind of crazy fruit and spices they have there in India/South east Asia, Jambu is delicious as it is.

And yeah Honcho, it is pale-whiteish and tasty on the inside!

[quote=“Pein_11”][quote=“hansioux”]
IAnd yeah Honcho, it is pale-whiteish and tasty on the inside![/quote][/quote]
No doubt,exactly, what the Native Cannibals thought :slight_smile:

[quote=“Pein_11”][quote=“hansioux”]
I think the best way to call it is just to refer to it as Jambu. It’s the Indian name/Indonesian name/Taiwanese name/Chinese name/, the fruit originated from India. It’s heavily modified in Taiwan.[/quote]

Interesting… sometimes I wonder what kind of crazy fruit and spices they have there in India/South east Asia, Jambu is delicious as it is.

And yeah Honcho, it is pale-whiteish and tasty on the inside![/quote]

I actually bought a fascinating book about fruit and fruit breeding once, where the guy travelled around the world looking for weird fruit, talking to fruit breeders etc. what a great idea that was! (scribbles down plan no.34 on how to escape dreary day to day existence :slight_smile:).

Edit- it’s called ‘the fruit hunters’

I am seriously worried by this description, I am going to have nightmares,now. :popcorn:

Sat here in Hong Kong snacking on wampees. They’re really cool - ever been seen in Taiwan?
Sold as 黄皮 (yellow-skin).

http://www.seriouseats.com/2008/07/asia-hong-kong-wampee-exotic-fruit.html

Variety of loquat?

Also found out about longkong in Thailand this year. English name is lanzones (?). Fruit is translucent, but on the outside they look like dirty new potatoes :slight_smile:.
Very morish, and a completely different beast to lychees or longyuan.

Do these ever show up in Taiwan?

Had some last time I was in Thailand. Kind of like a grapefruit-lychee flavor. Haven’t seen in Taiwan.

These light colored passion fruit I’m eating are pretty darn good.

Are they imported from SA or local (personally I don’t care as long as they taste good anyway)?

Not a clue! They’re light and speckled, kind of like those pluot things.

I really miss Taiwan fruit
Especially the Tu Mango
Longan
Lychee
Lien woo

even sometimes miss the carambola. And that custard apple or what you call it common in Taitung (the seeds are apparently poisonous but the white meat is awesome).

The jujubes (棗子, zao-zi) are particularly enjoyable this year.
Crunchy like an apple, but with a stone in the centre instead of a core, so there’s no fannying around when you get to the middle.

[quote=“Nuit”]The jujubes (棗子, zao-zi) are particularly enjoyable this year.
Crunchy like an apple, but with a stone in the centre instead of a core, so there’s no fannying around when you get to the middle.

[/quote]

Taiwan’s jujubes and jambu are my all time favorite of fruits anywhere in the world…

Please don’t use words I don’t understand in the fruit thread :no-no: :wink:.