Taiwan's Awesome Fruits!

Obasan tales. I’ve eaten kilos back to back for days on end, weeks even, and never suffered more than a desire for more.[/quote]
MMMMMMMMMMMMM! Me, too! And I paid a rediculus fortune for half a kilo of half rotten dragon’s eyes about a month and a half ago–totally worth it! I’d never seen either fruit before I landed in Taiwan and now I fret that I may never see them, in large quantities and at reasonable prices, again. :frowning:

I need help. Wikipedia and even internet can’t…

I ate for the first time yesterday a small red fruit (claimed to be Taiwanese) - unknown to me and wrongly called a mulberry by the lady selling these on the Tourist night market near Keelung rd.

It has the size of cherry, with a pit inside also the same size of a cherry pt. i does not seem to have a string like a cherry which shows it could grow like a lechee.
The outside is wine red c, and it is served with sugar and a bit of sour powder on it. tastes like nothing comparable before , pretty juicy…

Anyone a thought?

Think those are just a small plum of some type, and they soak them in sugar water giving them the extra juiciness. They’re pretty sour otherwise.

Not Taiwanese, but got some amazing Dole Chilean apples the other day. Amazingly juicy. Crunchy. Nice blend of sweetness and sourness. Speckly/mottled yellow and red skin.

Probably not a plum - or it must be a never seen species
It looks rather like this (even slightly similar as a Lechee though, but only 2 cm big) and if it can be eaten straight without peeing, it could be … I won’t give up as I want to spank the ol’ lady if she lies about the origin… :hand:

35 pages of Googling did not brought an answer yet :cry:

[quote=“ceevee369”]
It looks rather like this (even slightly similar as a Lechee though, but only 2 cm big) and if it can be eaten straight without peeing, it could be … I won’t give up as I want to spank the ol’ lady if she lies about the origin… :hand: [/quote]

Hmm do you mean you have to peel it or don’t? It looks like a litchee. Is the flesh much different? According to this there are many varieties of litchi, probably it’s just one of them?

Just bought some mangoes today…there is a reason why the word mango means “vagina” in Japanese.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“ceevee369”]
It looks rather like this (even slightly similar as a Lechee though, but only 2 cm big) and if it can be eaten straight without peeing, it could be … I won’t give up as I want to spank the ol’ lady if she lies about the origin… :hand: [/quote]

Hmm do you mean you have to peel it or don’t? It looks like a litchee. Is the flesh much different? According to this there are many varieties of litchi, probably it’s just one of them?[/quote]

No, not a Litchee variant for sure. I need to go back to the night market as I could not see them anywhere else. :ponder:

No, they’re not, I’ve had them on cakes here, drenched in some sweet liquid and the stuff on the outside is edible, it’s like a slightly soft fur, but again, no idea what they are…

Correct Swede

Even my wife’s mom does not know the name being a wet market expert :ponder:

I would describe them as outside looking color & size as a raspberry before being drenched in that sweet/bitter sugar sirup , but having a “soft” skin version of the Litchee picture posted above. Small 1 mm dots next to eachother and rather robust.

ahhh those, these I believe Chinese hawthorn–often made into candies that look like necco wafers

ahhh those, these I believe Chinese hawthorn–often made into candies that look like necco wafers[/quote]

Well, no… it are not those neither… :no-no: , but thanks anyway!
The Quest continues

I think I know what you mean now anyway. If so I think you can get them at “mijian” candied fruit vendors, I’ll try asking next time I see one. I thought they were 山楂, either I’m wrong or still thinking of something different, but for sure I’ve exhausted any knowledge of local fruit :slight_smile:

It looks like this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry_Tree but it doesn’t seem to be quite right either…

This is another odd fruit I’ve been seeing around recently which I had no idea what it was

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddha’s_Hand

And if you happen to spot this, I suggest you stay away, I tried one and it has a really soft, dry, mushy texture…
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canistel

Hmmm this picture found looking up that Arbutus genus on the wiki looks a lot like ceevee’s

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Arbutus_sp._fruit.jpg

Yeah, it looks like the right thing, but it doesn’t seem to grow here though from what I can find…

TV news today:

Pomelos this year are sweeter than Coca-cola. :astonished:

We dont get good papayas here, only tiny ones from Hawaii, very expensive and tiny. I havent even tried one. But recently Trader Joes is having these nice big papayas from Belize. And i had one the other day (got another waiting to ripen) and it was very delicious. Red meat papaya, like Thai ones. Taiwanese are mostly yellow i think

I miss taiwan fruit

Well Tommy this is why you like it, it’s almost certainly being exported by Taiwanese linked farmers in Belize! Taiwanese papayas these days are usually red. Taiwanese also have some varieties that are resistant to Papaya virus…probably this one.

villageviewpost.com/2010/02/ … elize.html

It is a really great contribution from Taiwanese to the Central American region (fruit and veg).I saw a program on TV a while back about how Taiwanese introduced ‘sigua’, melon to a Central American country and used it for cooking. It was previously thought of as unpalatable but local people started growing it when they realised it was nutritious, easy to grow and tastes good when cooked!

Well, it goes both ways. They are also bringing vegies, like chayote, and exitic fruits, to test them here. Win-win. :thumbsup:

[quote=“Icon”]TV news today:

Pomelos this year are sweeter than Coca-cola. :astonished:[/quote]
Follow up news: Texans are already coming over to deep fry em and pour whip cream on top