Taiwan's Awesome Fruits!

That’s because it often is Finley! Aiyu is a fascinating plant and the seeds do produce a natural gel, but what happens is some vendors cheat by adding gelatin. One method to tell the difference, Ai Yu gels very lightly.

Damn, that just looks delicious… It would never have crossed my mind that the jelly came out of a big ass fig.

Great info on aiyu, there :bravo:.

What about 娃娃菜 wawa tsai - any chance that is native here?
English name - Baby Chinese Cabbage (???).
Tasted very nutritious, available Jan-Mar in Fuxing area, Taoyuan County - probably elsewhere too.

Those cheap local peaches seem good this year–small, but juicy

thank you for let me no this vege! even for me, i’m a taiwanese, i no 大陸妹(another kind of vege) but i dunt no this…lol…will try:-)
and mangosteen…must try if i hv a chance…lol :laughing:
btw, i’m proud of our fruit variety as well :smiley:

[quote=“Nuit”]Great info on aiyu, there :bravo:.

What about 娃娃菜 wawa tsai - any chance that is native here?
English name - Baby Chinese Cabbage (???).
Tasted very nutritious, available Jan-Mar in Fuxing area, Taoyuan County - probably elsewhere too.
[/quote]

Nothing better than mangosteen. Was in Thailand recently, the joy of buying big bags of it is indescribable.

to me mangosteen, wild taiwan mango, dragon eye, lychee, papaya, lienwoo, are among the fruits which can be said to be eaten by angels.

Mango in season is just ridiculously tasty. I still think back to the mango ice I had last Summer in Taichung.

For sure. You know I’m talking about these though right:

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]For sure. You know I’m talking about these though right:

[/quote]

YES. native to thailand i understand. Not sure if indonesia plants it as well, but def not native to taiwan.

not really cheap cheap even in thailand if i recall. but very expensive in taiwan (sometimes found in usa too, but small and expensive).

I love those things.

shouldnt have the name “mango” in it tho as it has no relation to a mango.

mangosteen - the queen of fruit

Sometimes I wonder how I spent so long without finding out about mangosteen! It’s yummy, specially the juice.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]For sure. You know I’m talking about these though right:

[/quote]

Of course, but I don’t think mangosteen takes priority over mango in Taiwan :slight_smile:.

I simply don’t understand why mangosteen is not popular here -and so difficult to find.
Besides, if you can find them here, it’s 30% flesh and 70% seed. B or C grade import or local production in wrong climate?

Back in 'Nam, I eat kilos of those as it was cheaper than any other fruit. Picking up a 5KG bag on a road stall for 100 NTD. Miss them , but TW mango makes up for it :lick:

[quote=“ceevee369”]I simply don’t understand why mangosteen is not popular here -and so difficult to find.
Besides, if you can find them here, it’s 30% flesh and 70% seed. B or C grade import or local production in wrong climate?

Back in 'Nam, I eat kilos of those as it was cheaper than any other fruit. Picking up a 5KG bag on a road stall for 100 NTD. Miss them , but TW mango makes up for it :lick:[/quote]

I wondered that too! Used to eat them by the kilo in Laos. Here - nowhere to be found.

I’m allergic to mangoes. :cry:

The shu mei are in season again

mmm… I’m dreaming of mangoes… What’s everyone’s favorite variety of mango in Taiwan (and if you know it, name of the variety in Chinese and/or English or other language). I love those incredibly sweet little green “tumang” (cheap in season, and oh so good). Anyone seen them produced in any other country? Who would have thought anything so green could be so sweet!

According to @headhoncho’s link [ taiwan.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=3 … 81&mp=1005 ], they came from Java. Can anyone confirm they’ve seen these in Indonesia?

I prefer the common-or-garden aiwen mangos (medium sized, red/orange). The huge yellow ones look nice, but they taste of soap. :raspberry:

Since this is a fruit topic… what is the name of that one fruit that looks kinda “onion-ish”, but inside is like an apple, red in color… i think the chinese name had sugar something in it? but its not the sugar apple itself “釋迦”

No idea! Onion-ish how? The skin is red or the pulp?

I found it out! the wax apple! I really had no idea how to describe it though… haha