Taiwan's Chen Seen in Diplomatic Victory Over China

nytimes.com/reuters/world/in … ref=slogin

What perfect timing. Here’s the retort:

[quote]Taiwan may end up with Pyrrhic diplomatic victory

TAIPEI (Reuters) - Taiwan President Chen Shui-bian may have pulled off a diplomatic victory over China during his just concluded overseas trip, but it also laid bare the new realities of the island’s once-warm relationship with Washington.[/quote]
washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … 01488.html

From Wikipedia :

Pyrrhic victory, a victory weakening the winner fundamentally.

From Jakarta Post

[i]INDONESIA: The government has lamented the extended stopover of Taiwanese President Chen Shui-bian on Batam island Thursday, saying it controverted an initial agreement with Indonesian authorities.

Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs Widodo Adi Sucipto said Friday that Chen was permitted to transit in Batam only for several hours to allow the crew to refuel his presidential plane, but the Taiwanese leader extended the stopover by roaming on the island in Riau Islands province until Friday morning. [/i]

…Clearly nothing to shout about it but then some see that as victory. In the way it is a shame for a President to be lamented subsequently even if there is initial agreement for transit. It is despicable to say the least but some are blind to see reality. Just wondering how much more dignity can it be lowered further.

[quote=“cctang”]What perfect timing. Here’s the retort:

[quote]Taiwan may end up with Pyrrhic diplomatic victory

Taipei (Reuters) - Taiwan President Chen Shui-bian may have pulled off a diplomatic victory over China during his just concluded overseas trip, but it also laid bare the new realities of the island’s once-warm relationship with Washington.[/quote]
washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … 01488.html[/quote]

I see, your retort is that the fact that when Zoeller reaffirmed that the United States WILL defend Taiwan, angrily, isn’t as good as if he had said it nicely. Bravo.

I guess it proves all the posts that the US won’t defend Taiwan, to be unsubstantiated nonsense that hasn’t been backed up by history, nor rhetoric.

Hmm, I thought I posted this once already. But I suppose not.

I think you confused me with the Reuters journalist or Washington Post editor that wrote the above article + headline. I did nothing except paste it here.

[quote=“cctang”]Hmm, I thought I posted this once already. But I suppose not.

I think you confused me with the Reuters journalist or Washington Post editor that wrote the above article + headline. I did nothing except paste it here.[/quote]

Not at all, you stated that your retort is by stating the washington post article which doesn’t amount to much. Sadly, I wasn’t impressed.