Taiwan's Democracy; Throwing a shoe

[quote]http://goldsea.com/Asiagate/701/19taiwan.html

Friday’s trouble erupted when dozens of lawmakers from the ruling Democratic Progressive Party stormed the speaker’s dais to prevent voting on a proposal to change the composition of the Central Election Commission.

DPP lawmaker Wang Shu-huei flung a shoe at the speaker, but it struck the face of a lawmaker next to him. [/quote]
I understand that the DPP tries to promote itself as the protector of Taiwan’s democracy. More often than not the DPP have been know to instigate brawls in the LY. Perhaps what is needed is a party on Taiwan to advocate civility and manners.

Because I’m pretty sure the people on the other side of the Strait are not sorry not to have “Taiwan’s democracy” when reading news stories like this one.

The ancient Greeks must be rolling over in their grave to see their political ideals boil down to shoe throwing on Taiwan.

Taiwan pols are, for the most part, a bunch of baboons. I’d much prefer it if I didn’t have such a bunch of troglodytes representing the place I live.

Great show last night. Shoe throwing, pushing & shoving. Bolt-cutters used to open the locked doors of the YUAN.

One thing, of many, that always makes me chuckle - I never seen any fists flying. Occasionally a weak pansy punch that looks more like an accident than a real punch; but I never seen any real punching. And the women always look more aggressive than the Taiwan men.
Just too funny!

A country gets the government it deserves. Isn’t that how the saying goes? They represent the people because they’re elected from among and by the people. Those troglodytes are mirror images of the people they represent.

I’m reading Chin’s book Heijin: Organized Crime, Business, and Politics in Taiwan and he explains beautifully the interlinked nature of the mafia and politics here. It’s a truly fascinating book, backed up by a massive wealth of research and three years of interviews with top crime figures, politicians, law enforcement officers and more. He went to Cambodia, Vietnam and China to visit fugitives and managed to get frank interviews with such luminaries as Chang An-lo (the White Wolf) and Bamboo Union leader Chen Chi-li. Highly recommended reading.

A couple of choice quotes:

Even in the early 90’s, one Vancouver TV station I used to watch nightly would show fights in the Taiwan legislature spliced in amongst the hockey fights highlights. Too hilarious. It is entertaining, but pretty pathetic too. And Taiwan’s politicians expect to be taken seriously? Still, I was hoping someone would clock that DPP bitch on the head with the shoe she threw.

A country gets the government it deserves. Isn’t that how the saying goes? They represent the people because they’re elected from among and by the people. Those troglodytes are mirror images of the people they represent.[/quote]

Yeh.
Common sense cannot be taught directly, only disemminated.
A trickle down effect it is.
What more could one expect from a nation of ass-padders?
Whose public representatives are so ineffectual in their oral repertoire that they must resort to a shoddy, underhanded form of gimmickry?

It would be awright if the wankers could fight, Set up for a quick three round Olympic bout. Winner gets to spew gibberish… Lose must mop it up.

Yet as it is, this politicans in this country be a shame to the very profession itself.

‘N’ tha’s sai’in summuhtt…!

Now now you all not be judging others until you have thrown a thousand punches with your moccasins too. :no-no:

too bad no one was wearing some of those army boots with steel protection…

Good tv entertainment all in all. The news has been rather dull lately.

If some TV company gave me forty quid to throw a shoe at some politician I’d jump at the chance.

even less, as it seems nothing happens, you even get the tv’s to show your good/bad taste in shoes…

Brawls are pretty entertaining IMO, the worst I have seen was a few years ago when someone brought in a bucket of feces (excrement, $h!t whatever you call it) and threatened to pour it on someone’s face.

The woman who threw the shoe was the same who ate the bill a few months ago. I prefered her oral strategy. Throwing a shoe is just too… too something.

Aren’t these legislative brawls essentially a local form of filibustering, which occurs in many legislatures? If so, that makes it somewhat normal, except for the violent aspect, doesn’t it?

Largely, I think this recent brawl was the fault of whoever chose the order of the listing for bill consideration. Would that be Speaker Wang’s personal responsibility (making the list)?

The bill at the top (reforming the CEC) is one the DPP was sworn to filibuster. They did. Shame on whoever put that bill above the budget bill. It is exactly as the pan-greens say: the KMT uses one bill to hold another hostage. This isn’t the way a legislature should behave. They all deserve to be bopped up side of the head with a drag queen’s stilletto.