Taiwan's Energy "Security" (dependency)

I hope all of these things work out. I hope the costs are not too high and they don’t damage the environment with their efforts. Things that take away from agriculture, converting farm land or removing trees for solar seem pretty unreasonable.

I’ll have to look but it seems a local company has had their recyclable wind turbine blades considered by a turbine producer.

Goals are goals. So the target has not been met but progress is being made. The progress is slow but it’s moving along.

I would like to see the numbers of dollars invested in these things and what the upkeep and replacement cost will be.

1 Like

this makes me wonder how much is Taiwan into energy storage? batteries or otherwise? that’s really the only advantage of coal, a rock can sit and be used anytime. I would love to learn more about taiwans ambitions for renewable energy storage, as production seems fairly ok and on track, albeit slower than it needs to be.

When improved solid state batteries get scaled into mass production it will become viable. Not so much now.

Mixed with suitable agriculture.

1 Like

'Other countries have not taken such a backward approach to nuclear power. France, whose 59 reactors generate 80 percent of its electricity, has safely recycled nuclear fuel for decades. They turned to nuclear power in the 1970s to limit their dependence on foreign energy. And, from the beginning, they made recycling used fuel central to their program.

Upon its removal from French reactors, used fuel is packed in containers and safely shipped via train and road to a facility in La Hague. There, the energy producing uranium and plutonium are removed and separated from the other waste and made into new fuel that can be used again. The entire process adds about 6 percent in costs for the French.

Anti-nuclear fear mongering has proved baseless. The French have recycled fuel like this for 30 years without incident: no terrorist attack, no bad guys stealing uranium, no contribution toward nuclear weapons proliferation, and no accidental explosions.

France meets all of its recycling needs with one facility. Indeed, domestic French reprocessing only takes about half of La Hague’s capacity. The other half is used to recycle other countries’ spent nuclear fuel. (like Belgian nuclear fuel)

Since beginning operations, France’s La Hague plant has safely processed over 23,000 tones of used fuel–enough to power France for fourteen years.’

There is more low radioactive waste from medical facilities.

How would other countries get past the political block?

The science is mature and the technology is available for many years, but most countries won’t go with nuclear because of the fears. If Taiwan does reprocessing they will have to do it on a boat in international water, no one would want to be within 1000km of such facility.

Politics is always a huge problem with energy policy.

The only alternative for a nuclear free energy profile is fossil fuel unfortunately. Green energy is basically just a money sink. Every country that has decided to shut down all their nuclear plants turned to fossil fuel.

Why does Taiwan burn coal? Because politically it’s the safest energy source.

It’s obvious what the solution is. Taiwan should join UAE as one of its emirates!!!

1 Like

yes, absolutely. if done with mushroom, coffee, fern and so on farms, sure.

one specific problem I have noticed a lot, and posted pictures here somewhere, is the solar fields are trying to save some.money on steel costs on the height of the posts. however putting solar on the ground (dumb for too manyreasons) and more importantly putting them on say roughly 1 meter tall above ground causes maintenance problems. how does one weed under them? cant do it mechanically, thus more roundup and similar chemicals are sprayed. aside from human health risks, sprayed herbicides I can only assume cause the panels needing.more frequent cleaning. or reduced efficiency.

it just seems with the vast expanse of huge tracts of metal skinned rooftops seems like a better use. reducing building temps via shade, batteries not needed as hooked up to the grid, not limiting food supply, not causing extra expensive and/or toxic maintenance fees and so on. it seems like sometimes the Gov is allowing the social opinion on solar to be sabotaged. makes zero sense to me other than it’s just a free for all clusterfuck which is also pretty dumb of them to allow.

or maybe they have a super plan we cannot see? benefits of doubts have kind of run out years ago though.

1 Like

I don’t think they are thinking the big picture. Policies are often enacted because someone benefits from it, or whatever they are allowed to use. For example, if you put solar panels on rooftops, then there’s land ownership issue. But say the government owns some farmland, or can take the farmland, then they just use that, problem solved.

Humans don’t think long term very well at all. 5 years is a very long term plan for most people, and that’s very generous.

education. when the school system isnt geared towards creating obedience, the population will become innovators. it’s a long game, because currently politics is very much retarded here and voters follow. at least in enough quantity to affect elections and thus our growth is retarded quite severely, which we can see on the street everyday with government projects and literal burning of money.

just imagine if renewable is a price of a pie. to think it will replace the entire pie is just trying to prevent progress. as is we use coal, oils, gases, nuclear and now more renewable. is it not a great idea to reduce coal by using more renewables and spending our wasted cash projects on R&D for renewables? this should be an amazing business opportunity for the government to fund research on. it’s strange people turn it into a if we use renewables.means we shut off the power until it’s ready. on the flip side, we should give ourselves a harsh and absolute deadline, otherwise we just keep justifying inaction. poor idea to be honest.

I’ve never before met so many people from a single industry here in Taipei or anywhere. Probably 8 of the 10 people I’ve met in the last 2 months said they work in renewables. These are both foreigners and Taiwanese. Tons of money is being spent.

“China emits more carbon in 16 days than Australia does in a year. That’s two weeks of emissions from China amounts to as much as a year’s worth of emissions from Australia. Right now, China’s got 57 coal fired power stations for every single one in Australia.”

Yet another a great piece on the Chingshui geothermal plant. These wells can reach the temperature of 160, and a binary cycle plant would only need half that to produce electricity.

that should hopefully be a good thing. taiwan is way late to the game, doing too little too late. and has all the potential of amazingly easy logistics, dense population (meaning less costs) and huge wealth to move forward. hopefully the tech industry is also going full forward on R&D. Seems perhaps not really, but one would hope! few places have so many benefits that line up like us here, it’s a shame to waste the opportunity.

1 Like

I’m guessing energy deliveries will be delayed. This is how Taiwan will be brought to submission. I’m guessing the UN isn’t going to say a word about any of this.

1 Like

I’m betting Chinese subs are mostly crap, so the chance of a blockade is minimal.

No one—not least the governments of Taiwan and the US—would rely on those guys for a second.

Guy

This doesn’t mention Taiwan but it talks about how the leaders of EU member states who depend on Russian energy are not being honest with their populations about the energy shortfall. Article claims 40% of these people won’t have energy to make it through the coming cold months.

I expect Taiwan energy imports will be restricted by these Chinese.

At least we have end of life nuclear and brand spanking new wind turbines.

A different article says that China is halting shipments to Taiwan of a material essential for chip making and PCBs.

Probably best to keep the car and scooter topped off and the pantry stocked. I believe this blockade is anything but temporary.

Thank you for the share.

1 Like

For those who think nuclear is the way to go in Taiwan, here is one current case to consider in terms of “security” (i.e. the topic of this thread):

Guy

1 Like

I thought nuclear was safe and without risk?