Taiwan's Energy "Security" (dependency)

Like I said, they would be reporting delays on energy shipments.

These ships can’t be insured !!! These energy cargo carriers won’t have anyone to insure them to deliver to Taiwan and there are a ton of other options for selling the gas/oil/coal shipments. Force mejure

Just finished the entire video. 16 days reserve and at best case going forward is 20+ days of reserve? Government is really short sighted. Seems like they are more worried about election than the actual security of the island. Energy independence should have been a priority 50 years ago.

1 Like

Suddenly all of us “crazy people” discussing taiwans piss poor water, food and energy security issues dont seem so crazy anymore.

2 Likes

It all makes sense now. Although my part of TW doesn’t have that water or power issue wink wink

Yeah, hopefully they get shit sorted, yesterday. but Taiwan has had water rationing schemes in the past decade as well. the brick wall is approaching, but there are simple fixes for sure.

1 Like

Before we get into 21 century war tactics, I really do think Taiwan needs to fix it’s energy reliance on imports. Only 22 days of energy reserves. All they have to do is blockade your energy imports for a month, and you won’t have power. This is a serious national security issue that should be prioritized above politics.

1 Like

There’s a thread for that already

1 Like

We have a thread for that:

EDIT: Damn you @TT and your lightning fast posting!

Guy

1 Like

Duh. Obviously the solution is Bitcoin!!!

Bitcoin relies on energy as well? Never mind then.

There’s no way Taiwan can fix its reliance on energy imports anytime soon. Even if Taiwan starts now, it takes 5 years to build one nuclear power plant. They’ll probably have to build a couple at the same time.

Are you talking about China facing an energy blockade?

Taiwan.

I posted first then went looking for the link

At least I beat you to that. lol

Guy

I see what you did there

1 Like

Once more with feeling: there are no uranium mines in Taiwan, i.e. it is also imported.

Guy

Seems we just need a poop based reactor.

If they develop fast breeder reactors and reprocessing plants, they could import years of fuel in a single small ship. If there’s a blockade lasting years, we’d have much bigger problems than lack of energy.

They should start building 15 fast breeder reactors and a reprocessing plant ASAP and give research grants into making everything we use much more efficient. In ten years we’d have excess energy to use for vertical farming and desalination. We could solve three major problems at the same time. It should have been done decades ago.

Edit… Also provides Taiwan with plenty of plutonium for making bombs if they decide to go that route.

3 Likes

that is the problem with complacency. Saying “Ying gai bu hui” always comes back and bites one in the ass!

1 Like

Don’t forget 差不多.

1 Like

Why is it so hard to use rooftop as solar farms? Is it because the government must buy or claim the land in order to put solar panels there? Or is there some other reason? Surely people wouldn’t mind solar panels on their roof especially if it helps cooling the house down.

2 Likes