Taiwan's Energy "Security" (dependency)

As an aside, I received the biggest electric bill in over 10 years yesterday. Really huge.

Another elephant in the room. if Taiwan wasn’t literally dumping energy down the drain, 90 days could be extended quite a lot. simple shit that can change in 5 mins…

example:

hunreds of thousands of eexamples like this on the daily here. A large heavy truck driving super slow beside air blowers cleaning streets.

There is so much DUMB waste here that one can only say we almost deserve what’s coming :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Yeah, I was wondering if that meant “90 days on bare-minimum usage” or “90 days of doing exactly what we do every day without thinking about it”.

the wasting of energy here is so blatant and dumb: shops blasting aircon with wide open doors in this heat, keeping cars idling for long periods of time are the most annoying to me.

I noticed that the general price of electricity and utilities in general, even petrol, is much lower than Europe for instance. Like now petrol on average is almost 2E/l in Italy (double than here basically), whilst electricity got excessively expensive due to the Russian-Ukrainian war. Let’s not even talk about gas… Even much more expensive there.

There is very little incentive to save when the prices are generally low. It is the same even in HK, where prices are higher (especially petrol, but only rich people drive there), the amount of water and electricity used is mind-blowing. Japan I know thanks to friends there that utilities can be very expensive, in particular for rubbish collection depending on the district of residence (a bit like council tax in the UK), there gas and water are used more conservatively, and also electricity more and more after the Fukushima disaster.

1 Like

In addition, Japanese—unlike many Taiwanese—do not purchase and drive impossibly huge monster cars that can barely squeeze down narrow alleys.

Guy

1 Like

also this is so bizzarre. I’m 188cm, so quite tall. I was driving a Suzuki Swift in Italy (loved my small car, so convenient to park and never had any issues of space), here in TW I see even the tiniest of people driving enormous SUVs and super long sedans with the justification of “if you drive a small car the other cars don’t see you and you die”.

Seriously, WTF??? Spaces are so small, to park and negotiate in the small alleys is a nightmare. Now driving a Lexus NX (not my car of choice, too big in my opinion) and getting out of parkings (thanks to the non-existent TW sense of respect and driving sense) is very challenging, every time getting in an alley is a Russian roulette.

I love the convenience and petrol-efficiency of smaller cars, like the new corolla cross would be the biggest I would comfortably drive around, or the mazda CX3, but it is a very alien concept here.

Japanese buy cars which make the most of the available space, since they need to own or rent a registered parking spot in order to buy a car. Most of this parking spots are at the ground floors of their homes, where they sacrificed a room to make the garage, so the space are tiny, so cars are smaller. Petrol is also more expensive in Japan, so smaller engines are used, and much more hybrid.

3 Likes

Go big or go home. Seems like Taiwanese will be going home big. One day there’s cheap electricity, and the next it’s basically, WTF.

1 Like

It’s the same thing in the US. Dads of teenage girls love to buy them huge SUVs as soon as they could drive, which is as early as 14 or 16 in some states.

When I look at the planet now, and what we really need to do, I feel deeply ashamed about this utterly foolish trend.

Shame as well on the car companies (including the unprincipled German ones) for pushing these monster cars.

Guy

1 Like

Well, in the US I couldn’t expect anything else. I briefly lived in the US during my High School for an exchange programme, so I did one semester in West Virginia.

Everything is bigger there, since there is so much space. I was hosted by a family of farmers on the border with Virginia, the school bus ride took almost 2 hours, one way.

I don’t like at all the new American concept of car, way too big, suspensions way too soft, engines not efficient (big displacement but little bhp). Now petrol is getting pricier there too, so something will need to change like it did in Europe after the first oil shock, and then again the in 90s-00s with the more stringent EU regulations for emissions.

I believe here in TW it will happen too when petrol prices will rise, we are now at the price level of the early 00s in Italy, in the next 5-10 years things will change, only then cars will get smaller and (hopefully) less.

Transit development is always very welcomed, and at least Taipei is doing great, once the Circle Line will be completed, also the neglected area of eastern Songshan-south Nangang will be properly served. Taoyuan is doing the right thing too with their MRT, more and more interconnected with the Taipei metro area. For other cities, unfortunately I don’t have much knowledge, so cannot comment.

1 Like

Taiwans income depends on cheap energy. Why taiwan hasn’t taken energy security FAR more serious is quite the enigma really. but the politician that raises the prices to market value is the politician that will be ousted faster than Korea fish after losing the presidential run.

One of those things that is a downward spiral. uneducated population, entitlement, poor government planning, too much money and not enough intelligence. the wall will hurt, but maybe not like other countries if we stay rich long enough.

Taiwan has ALL the advantages in the world to make energy sustainability shining beacon if Asia for the country. Quite easily…

~ Perfect geography and climate
~ More than enough money
~ More than enough in house talent and tech to innovate, and enough money to import more talent
~ Very small land mass, making infrastructure easy
~ Very dense population making it feasible, if not profitable
~ Political realities that should make this a priority
~ Economic realities that should make this lucrative

2 Likes

1 Like

So you think the rampant use of SUVs in Taiwan is helpful in dealing with Taiwan’s energy security? Do you think it’s helpful for us to get to a better future?

I’m all ears.

Guy

I’m more of the it’s the government’s job to secure energy and the automotive industry’s job to make vehicles more efficient mindset.

People can choose whatever vehicle they’d like IMO.

I’m not doom and gloom about global warming, either. We’re more likely to run out of fossil fuels before it becomes too serious a problem.

the government also deals with sourcing. buying from russia, potential blockades from china etc would make wasting fuel all that much more inconvenient. Sometimes absolute freedom isnt the best option, particularly when the alternative is even less freedom. Goes deeper than just CO2.

1 Like

They’ve had five decades to be 100% nuclear. Should have followed France’s example and been mostly nuclear at least. The world done fucked up when they let Chernobyl and Three Mile influence decision making.

1 Like

I agree, the world has had MORE than enough time by now to fix so many environmental and sustainability issues. but we haven’t, and still are doing the bare minimum

It’s a problem when you have “smart” stupid people running the nations of the world. Look at all of the stupid people it took to put these leaders in power.

Think about all of the idiots you know who believe carbon dioxide is a pollutant and/or those who believe an electric car or scooter helps to improve the environment.

Everything is only skin deep. Look what all Europe will do this winter to stay warm. Thin skinned and full of manure.

50 posts were split to a new topic: 21st Century Energy Policy

Could be, 90 days sounds good and is a nice round number

1 Like