Taiwan's EPA plans to ban single use plastic straws!

Is this even true?

1 Like

I finally got a water bottle cleaning set. Works well, although you do have to scrub a bit for the straw, and I’ve learned to deliberately put a few drops of soap on the straw cleaner. A pipe cleaner would of course also do the trick but the two other pieces of that set are coming in handy for cleaning water bottles properly (and I’ve been a little terrified by how often I’ve discovered “Wait, that stuff that’s been there for years actually washes off?! What have I done to myself?!”)

I’m not sure how this regulation is going to work for all the drinks that have smaller straws - drink boxes and La Gauche iced coffee and the like. Mind you, if these regulations stop me buying those drinks, probably all the better.

This is probably not a bad idea. Although a lot more needs to be done.

My pet hate.

Cigarette butts. Everything about smoking sucks but the way people flick those things casually onto the ground and into the drains to be washed into the sea pisses me off!!!

4 Likes

How about just re-labeling them as multi-use and then invent a machine to clean them and the Taiwan government will surely spend some money on it as they do on other wasteful projects just to give money to their friends.

1 Like

My great pet peeve as well. I applaud those of you smokers who don’t throw your butts on the ground, but why do the majority of smokers feel like the Earth is their ashtray? (From personal observation you cannot tell me it isn’t the majority who do this)

3 Likes

PLA compostable drinking straws

Most straws are used for cold drinks anyways, so PLA is the right material.

And they are worse than straws.

I don’t even understand why people use it so much here. Most of the drinks I see people drinking with straws don’t need it at all. I see it as a waste, an unnecessary and annoying waste. A dive in the sea gives you some idea of what we are doing… it’s a disgusting disaster, but 99% of people don’t give a shit, and keep buying drinks and stuff in disposable plastic containers…

Straws… useless, stupid. Bad.

It annoys me greatly. People releasing stupid smoke for no practical reason, and throwing their shit to the ground…

Pearl Milk Tea without a straw?
Really, I would not mind reusable straws if they can be cleaned well and quickly.

How about straws that you can eat. Those flavor straws look pretty good, but I’d take neutral cookie like straw. It will make a nice snack for after my drink.

1 Like

The problem I foresee with straws that you can eat or degrade is they still need to be packaged with plastic and stored correctly.
Metal straws are one option and no straws are probably the best option in many cases.

1 Like

What’s the opinion on the Costco and McDonald’s cups with the sip holes?

They seem ok to me, but I’ve heard lots of complaints about ice clogging them up.

They have straws made of coffee grounds, sugarcane scraps and they are packed in a paper sleeve/wrap. Made in Taiwan.

I do carry my own straws though rarely use them because I am not a child not an elderly person.

That said, I was in California last week and stopped by the nearest 7-11 on 7/11 for free Slurpees…with paper straws. People were literally tossing them aside by the time they got to the door as they were nearly entirely unusable (mine lasted nearly a block).

Tried the McDonald’s cups for the first time this weekend. It was fine for my iced coffee. Although, there is a level of irony to the fact that the lid of the cup uses more plastic than the old lids. I would guess/hope that ratio wise, less plastic is being used in the end.

Drink nitro cold brew, a straw has no use when drinking it, you need to have the smooth top layer, not the bottom.