Taiwan's First Gay Parade

I saw the tv coverage of the march, and there were indeed a few (unmasked) foreigners. What I particularly liked was the interviews with a few old geezers watching the parade by the side of the road. They were asked for their opinions, and they all agreed that it was a different world now, and that people should be allowed to express themselves and their sexuality. I was impressed with their open-mindedness. :slight_smile:

I missed it – parades aren’t my thing, and besides, do you really want to see me marching around in a jockstrap?

I heard it was a small but nice march. I was hoping to catch some of the activities in Hsimen, but they were packing up by the time I got there. Adding to what Maoman said, I heard it was all cheers and no jeers.

I heard that a friend of mine was shown on TV in all his glory dressed as a devil, and a couple lesbians got into a sloppy tongue sucking session right in front of Ma Ying Jeou.

Mayor Ma was up on stage with two young girls and after the girls kissed, one went on and on about “Are you willing to” and then a rights and equality spiel including same sex marriage (if I caught it right) and then asked Ma if he too was “willing.” With a little “Jesus I can’t believe that I am doing this – the guys who arranged for me to be here are going to pay for this” he squeeked out a little mouse-voice “Yuanyi” – willing.
It was pretty rich watching Ma squirm. :smiley:

I had a wonderful time at the march/theatre, and ended up on tv too!
It was great meeting so many people. I really got caught up in the party atmosphere and ended up running around taking photos of EVERYBODY!!

I actually just came back from a lesbian singles-type mixer near Hsimen. The girls handed us invites to it yesterday, and there’s a couple of parties I’ll be going to just based on the invites and brochures I got yesterday.

There are a couple of foreign girls who want to get together once a month. They want to start a mailing list, so if you’re interested pm me and I’ll give you their e-mail address. All Taiwanese are, of course, also welcome.

Ma is a cool mayor. Imagine Arnie, the governor of CA in this position–he’d probably try to snuggle right up to the lesbians and stick his own sloppy wet pink thing out.

Fess up. Who wore a mask? Scooter pooter…? I know your boyfriend was bangin away (on his drums) at the weekend.

Maybe Maoman needs to be ‘bribed’. Ever think of that? What have you got :wink: that Maoman doesn’t have? :smiley:

What Taiwan needs is a politician whose son or daughter is gay,like Dick Cheney, the USA VP’s daughter who is. Or the mayor of Paris who is gay. Or US Congressgay Barney Frank.

Once Taiwan sees gays up front and personal, and realizes gays are not part of the problem, they are part of the solution, it will be a better society here. Maybe Mayor Ma’s grandkids will be gay. It is bound to happen sometime.

I think gays in Asia have it better than in the West, where Christiantiy does so much damage to the psyche. Yes, ASia is conservative but it doesnt damn people to hell or call them preverts.

The West is was will be sick. Asia is was will be healthy. Watch what happens re gay issues in ASia in the next 25 years. Very progressive. And the West will remain Scriptural. Sad.

FB: Sigh. I had to proctor the SAT. Next year.

F: Yeah, we need someone gay and famous. Too bad the only famous out gay Chinese person jumped from a hotel gym in HK on April Fool’s Day… Wish it was a joke.

PS: I went to school with Chrissie Gephardt. She was a very stiff sorority girl at the time. Nice to see she’s loosened up a bit :sunglasses:

What about that TV host here? Can’t remember his name. He came out a year or more ago during an interview.

We didn

I’ve attended two Pride Parades. One in San Francisco, and one in Amsterdam last summer. There was an essential difference in both of them, and we must remember that both cities have quite liberal views about homosexuality compared to Taiwan.
The SF Pride Parade (1996) was wild. It was a fest that lasted all day as the floats and marchers went down Market Street. There was maximum crowd interaction, excitement in the air, it was politically driven, and there was lots of nudity.
The one in Amsterdam along the canals was far more subdued than I’d expected. Basically, it was more of a family event. There was crowd interaction, but it wasn’t WILD like in SF It didn’t seem like the Amsterdam/Euro gays were trying to prove anything like those in SF, at least on a political platform. There was no nudity and it was all very sweet, really. Also, lots of fun for everyone (kids, parents, gays, straights, old folks, etc).

It’s too bad I had to miss this one here because I would have liked to compare them. I think it’s ridiculous that if Taiwan is such an ‘open-minded’ place for homosexuals, that the marchers were compelled to cover their faces with masks. That’s just silly!
I never saw anything like that in the other cities, unless you regard drag queens or nun’s habits a form of ‘covering identity’… :unamused:

Alien: That

It could be that the commercial sector, the bars, are technically illegally for the most part and they don’t want to get busted by openly sponsoring something. It seems there was some sort of Source-Nittis-Going-Gin Gin alliance going on once, in the form of a stick/flyer campaign. What happened with that? The owners of most of the gay bars in Taiwan, not Source and Fresh, but the ones that the other 99% of Taiwan’s gays go to probably aren’t the activist type.

I agree with Alien that it is silly they wore masks. Only could Taiwan devise such a f—ed up version of a gay pride rally. I think their reluctance to include forgeigners in activities comes in part is that they are scared of things that go on in other pride rallies–the nudity, etc., which could land the organizers in trouble.

BTW, Magnolia, that is hilarious about the cops at Texound. Did you get a group photo of you and Ms. Spins with them?

Su Yong Kang. He’s good. The only talk-show host here that I like. I think there’s quite a few more out clelebrities. My wife tells me, but I forget.

Brian

We wish! No, no group photos, just the queue of boys and a couple of cute officers. As you can probably imagine, by that time of the night, neither me nor Ms. Spins was particularly photogenic anyway… :wink:

[color=violet]Taiwan Pride 2004[/color]

Taiwan (Gay and Lesbian) Pride 2004 is this afternoon (Saturday 6 November). Assemble at Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall at 1 pm, and the march will end up at the Red House Theatre in Ximending. Details can be found at 1106.bdsm.com.tw/

I will probably be there with one of my dogs and not pretending to be gay.

Congratulations, degenerates!

:bravo:

I think gay activities get more of a welcome if they’re presented as show biz. That means, paradoxically, that more outrageousness at these parades rather than less, would get you more points with the public. (They finally made the SF Pride paraders cover up, but that was so they could broadcast them on TV. )

Was there a parent’s / friends group? That’s always an effective angle… especially if they can be sandwiched between the cross-dressing Wonder Women and the boy-slaves on leashes.

I shook his hand yesterday. He was visiting the Tonghua St. Night Market, and came in my direction. He was pleasantly surprised to see a waiguoren, and he spoke good English.

I like him - the best mayor that Taipei has had, certainly since 1990.

There is an interesting essay on the history of Taiwan gay culture entitled From Hidden Kingdom to Rainbow Community: The making of of Gay and Lesbian Identity in Taiwan by Scott Simon. This essay can be found in the book The Minor Arts of Daily Life: Popular Culture in Taiwan, Edited by David K. jordan, Andrew D. Morris and Marc L. Moskowitz, 2004.

Lesile Chueng, was the jumper in HK…Famous movie star,i.e. Farewell my concubine-fame