Taiwan's Legal Aid Foundation

I’m also glad to hear that there has been some progress.

For others who might be considering contacting the Legal Aid Foundation, be sure to at least call them or, better yet by far, go in person. You cannot expect this kind of organization in Taiwan to respond to an email especially if the email is in English, or to have someone available to answer a phone calll in English. The English skills of Taiwanese NGOs are far lower than what you will find in the for-profit sector. If you go in person, you will have a much better chance of speaking to a staff lawyer who is more likely to speak English.

For a variety of reasons most organizations in Taiwan do not respond to email, and it’s always easier to blow someone off over the phone.

Please also keep in mind that the Legal Aid Foundation’s mission is to provide legal services to the truly indigent. They prioritize people accused of serious crimes who face prison time, victims of domestic violence, the unemployed etc. They will probably ask for evidence of your income and may decide that while you are not rich, there are others more in need of their limited resources.

I don’t mean to be unsympathetic. I’m all too aware of the difficulties foreign fathers here have in obtaining and enforcing even very limited visitation rights. But others need to know that sending an email to any busy organization in Taiwan is not likely to get response.