Taiwan's life expectancy is like Hawaii (Hawaii highest State , Virginians lowest)

Living both in Hawaii and Taiwan I can see many common factors to living longer. Link mentions Hawaii like Taiwan people tend not to be fat (why is Virginia and American southerners so much over wieght??). Both places eat pork and other unhealthy food, but also a lot of seafood, taro and yams and like fruits so wonder is diet part of it?

CDC report reveals Hawaiians survive longest at 81 years while Virginians West die earliest at 74 | Daily Mail Online

Access to healthcare could be a factor too. Most of America have piss poor access to healthcare (too expensive for most to afford), especially in the South where income tends to be lower and thus less people are adequately insured or have cheap employers therefore cheap coverage.

Maybe Hawaii has better healthcare?

That says more about the US than Taiwan. Taiwan’s life expectancy is like the UK and Germany, aka nothing special. US life expectancy is bar none the lowest amongst developed countries, and the worst of all is that it’s decreasing, which is just shameful.

4 Likes

Hawaii is bit different in that if you work 20+hours per week, your company must offer/help pay health insurance.

3 Likes

Have you been to Hawaii? Loco moco and the plate lunch has rice and macaroni salad. My husband and I lived on the big island for a few years and still miss the daily fresh tuna and market veges. If you enjoy the outdoors, Hawaii is ideal. You learn how to find the lunch deals and don’t waste the $5 white bread and $5 gallons of milk.

2 Likes

Yea, like I said, definitely a huge factor.

Southern states tends to have nonexistant requirements or all kinds of ways companies can get out of providing affordable healthcare.

Walmart I worked at said 30 hours or more per week before they provide healthcare, and you must have worked for a year before you qualified. So I guess Texas has less requirements for companies to provide healthcare.

And if doctors are expensive to see then you won’t eat healthy, you won’t get minor problems looked at until you dropped dead and went to the ER. Once you see the bill in the ER you will wish they never saved you to begin with.

Loco Moco is good but not healthy, but miss Poi and LauLau more though. One thing tht surprised me is Poke craze, I see shops in Melbourne and various other far away places. About Poi, I hated it as a kid but now miss it. Taiwan has Taro but too much trouble process it into Poi.

2 Likes

Hawaii is like 1/3 Asian. Asians tend to live longer because they’re smaller. Smaller animals of the same species live longer.

4 Likes

https://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/omh/browse.aspx?lvl=4&lvlid=85

Spam as a popular dish, amazing they can live long lives. I went to Hawaii with a local surfer that i worked with in u s of a and he showed me his local life for 5 days . We never ate good food or healthy anything im vegetarian which was part of it but wifey hated it also

1 Like

Yes, an area where the State of Hawaii can improve on, Natives not doing well in many areas compared to others.

2 Likes

I liked breakfast with portuguese sausage and plate lunches. The hubby and I would split one and it was more than enough food for two old crows.

1 Like

Special Menu at McDonald’s Hawaii - Onolicious Hawaiʻi
Miss the Local menu, Taiwan does sometimes have Taro pies.

2 Likes

There have been studies on places called Blue Zones where they have the highest concentration on centenarians to find their common denominator. Places like Loma Linda (Adventist) in the US, Okinawa in Japan and Sardinia in Italy. The most common traits are not race but rather low consumption of meat, with more protein coming from fish, legumes/beans, low levels of alcohol, and exercise everyday but not overly strenuous.

3 Likes

Yes, there are multiple factors contributing to longevity.

Hawaii is like 1/3 Asian. Asians tend to live longer because they’re smaller. Smaller animals of the same species live longer.
[/quote]

Fake info like your posting about Japanese in Hawaii, people of Asian background make more the half people in Hawai‘i .

Yes, Taiwan being so near Okinawa can pick up a few of good habits if possible. BTW the Governor of Hawai‘i is first governor in the United States of America of Okinawan descent. Also about the Blue Zone, mentions social contacts with people near or living around you, it’s what I like about Southern Taiwan , where I can say hello to almost everyone(one anti social guy) on our street with at least smile (most of the time), makes life less stressful.

Fake info like your posting about Japanese in Hawaii, people of Asian background make more the half people in Hawai‘i .
[/quote]

Depends how you count people. Asian only, 37%.
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/HI

I’ve never heard of this theory before. A bit hard to believe .
But it’s worth checking.