Taiwan's life expectancy is like Hawaii (Hawaii highest State , Virginians lowest)

:roll:

No it isn’t.

Why’s it so hard to believe? How many tall people you know live that long?

Anyhow, here is there study:

However, during the last 30 years, several researchers have found a negative correlation between greater height and longevity based on relatively homogeneous deceased population samples. Findings based on millions of deaths suggest that shorter, smaller bodies have lower death rates and fewer diet-related chronic diseases, especially past middle age. Shorter people also appear to have longer average lifespans.

You’re a lawyer, what do you know?

1 Like

Because I never heard of it at all.
I’m just thinking why that would be true or not.
Women live longer and they are shorter than men generally for instance . Why they live longer is supposed to be for other reasons not height.

But it’s an interesting idea to see if height itself is related due to growth hormone causing other issues, or extra cell mass thereby creating more oxidative stress or more potential for cancer to occur or more pressure on the heart. These are all some possibilities I’d explore.

1 Like

If that were the case ancient people would’ve had a longer life expectancy because they were all short.

1 Like

Height may be an advantage when it comes to this type of dementia, especially for men. One study of more than 500 people showed that men who are about 5 feet 11 inches or taller are almost 60% less likely to have Alzheimer’s disease

Good for me when I get older I guess, I am 1.8m taller for a Taiwanese

2 Likes

Height is a minor factor for the differences in life expectancy overall. Looking at it in isolation, it does however have an effect. Thus, taller people for example have a somewhat higher incidence of cancer since they have more cells (and therefore also more cells which could become a cancer) and since more growth hormone in itself also means that there is a higher risk of cancer

1 Like

Isn’t that what I just said. :grin:

I recall slow growing animals, or those with a slower metabolism , seem to live longer e. g Greenland sharks which may live up to 300 years of age.

1 Like

Read an Asimov essay years ago where he said that most larger animals (he included down to the size of a mouse) had about the same number of heartbeats in a lifetime, just some faster, some slower - don’t know if that holds up under later research.

1 Like

Have you seen any Hawaiian foods here ? Seems lots of local items that grow in Hawaii can (or are) be grown here.

I want to read your (incredible) theories on why Taiwan’s life expectancy isn’t shorter than first world countries when the pollution is so bad. Or why Korea’s life expectancy is even higher despite even worse air pollution. Does anyone have one? @Brianjones? @Explant? @Liberty?

4 Likes

Looked it up, they normally live MORE than 300 years, learn something new, thought only trees lived that long. It also seems to mean eat more (you will need a faster metabolism to process the food) will shorten lifespan and worse health.

1 Like

The life expectancy increases as income increases. It’s not amazing.

But, to your point what the pollution leads to is otherwise avoidable deaths. The same for other health problems like cardiovascular disease. Also the reduction in infant mortality or maternal mortality. So to summarize for you. It’s access and availability of health care.

Ucla did a study a few years ago.

http://www.econ.ucla.edu/Costa/genusreviewessay.pdf

You guys were saying that Taiwanese people didn’t care about safety and that Taiwanese people were dropping like flies with cancer and SCA, so how come life expectancy isn’t lower in Taiwan?

Where did I say that.

About air??? Life expectancy at birth - The World Factbook (cia.gov)

Hong Kong, Maucao, Singapore all places with bad air are all top five of life span. Also California (and more exact some West Los Angeles Hoods) have longest lifespan even though LA area has bad air by American standards. So maybe with better air people will live a bit long but seems not a major factor, as it shows in Los Angeles and other high dirty air areas .

The USA much more wealthy than Japan or Taiwan so my question (Taiwan=Hawaii>Southern USA) why is it many parts of the USA have lower life expectancy. (After reading more, seems lifestyle choices and being not fat)

1 Like

There is something even better, a jellyfish (Turritopsis dohrnii) which is kind of immortal

There have been a lot of studies specifying how many life years are lost in different countries due to air pollution. It is actually quite high figures. Just google and you will find them

1 Like

I will not disagree it’s a factor but seems not a major factor based on my examples of Hong Kong/S’pore/West Los Angeles.

https://www.thelancet.com/article/S2542-5196(20)30161-3/fulltext

1 Like

Great reply.

People cannot see the trees for the wood. Quiet literally it seems.

1 Like