Taiwan's Nuclear Problems

My mind is boggling.

They must think the general Taiwanese public are complete simpletons to be taken in by such puerile logic.

So I guess that’s money well spent on a well-crafted ad., then.

This bit is an absolute masterpiece:

[quote]You just said that our nuclear power plant designs are better than Fukushima’s - how so?
BA: Don’t be in such a rush, I’ll tell you another day… (to be continued)[/quote]

I suppose they’re banking on the fact that the great unwashed have an attention span measured in seconds.

[quote=“finley”]My mind is boggling.

They must think the general Taiwanese public are complete simpletons to be taken in by such puerile logic.

[quote]You just said that our nuclear power plant designs are better than Fukushima’s - how so?
BA: Don’t be in such a rush, I’ll tell you another day… (to be continued)[/quote]

I suppose they’re banking on the fact that the great unwashed have an attention span measured in seconds.[/quote]

I fear that that certainly appears to be the case . It is concerning :astonished:

[quote=“shiadoa”][quote=“finley”]My mind is boggling.

I suppose they’re banking on the fact that the great unwashed have an attention span measured in seconds.[/quote]

I fear that that certainly appears to be the case . It is concerning :astonished:[/quote]

The general populace in any locale has a very short attention span… which is why dedicated groups must put massive effort into not letting the public forget, no?

So, seeing as Taipower felt it necessary to placate the public, I’m now even more worried…

[quote=“shiadoa”][quote=“finley”]My mind is boggling.

I fear that that certainly appears to be the case . It is concerning :astonished:[/quote]

The same idea was used to explain Ma’s ‘economic power up policy’. The video has people had people prancing about, they said that it was not possible to explain the policy in 60 seconds so they wouldn’t attempt to even try to explain the policy, just let people know the government had this ‘plan’.

The awful thing is that Taipower have got it right and the campaigners have got it wrong. Taipower know for a fact that most people (yes, not just in Taiwan) are dolts. They’re happy with soundbites and silly cartoons. They don’t want technical information or risk assessments. You can imagine them rolling their eyes and saying “BOR-ing!”. Anti-nuclear campaigners usually resort to scaremongering and oversimplification because people won’t listen to anything else (same thing with climate change, come to think of it).

[quote=“headhonchoII”][quote=“shiadoa”][quote=“finley”]My mind is boggling.

The same idea was used to explain Ma’s ‘economic power up policy’. The video has people had people prancing about, they said that it was not possible to explain the policy in 60 seconds so they wouldn’t attempt to even try to explain the policy, just let people know the government had this ‘plan’.[/quote]

Well…it was said to be having sequels upcoming, but by only looking at that single ad, the ad surely angers people by not providing ANY explanations! Except “our plan is VERY complicated” :laughing:
Not sure if there are sequels releasing afterwards though, because I seldom watch tv now.

I think a sense of helplessness and inevitability play a larger role than inattention.

As to the Nuke 4 issues, I think most people have been paying attention well enough to have some idea of what’s going on:

[quote]Eric Chu, mayor of New Taipei City, is making sure that the Lungmen Nuclear Power Plant at Gongliao, better known as the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant or simply Nuke 4, won’t start commercial operations without his approval and that of his people. That means the operation of Nuke 4, which has already been postponed many a time, has to be further delayed.

Why the serious mistakes? Believe it or not, it’s because the contractors and Taipower people in charge can’t read the how-to literature written in English! And their excuse: “We ain’t intelligent.” They may not be, but the truth is that they simply don’t care.

Whatever the reason, we are facing another costly delay at Nuke 4. Coincidentally, Mayor Chu is up for re-election in 2014. In other words, if he wants to run for a second term, he has to ask eligible voters through a referendum whether they want to have Nuke 4 start operations. If held, the chances are that the referendum will forbid the Lungmen plant from supplying power.[/quote]–“New Taipei Mayor Ensures Yet More Delays for Nuke 4,” Editorial, China Post, November 15, 2012 chinapost.com.tw/editorial/t … Taipei.htm

And as to issues involving the economy and Ma Ying-jeou’s ability to improve things, I think there is evidence that people are paying enough attention to have opinions:

[quote]Asked if they were concerned that the nation’s debt crisis could turn it into another Greece, 70.7 percent of the respondents said yes, a survey conducted by the Taiwan Thinktank from Wednesday to Friday showed.

Asked about the article and the term “bumbler” — whose translation was the subject of debate in local media — 57.1 of the respondents said it meant Ma was “indecisive,” 18.3 percent said it mean the president was “stupid” and 7.2 percent said it meant both.[/quote]–Chris Wang, “Many Fear Economy May Become like Greece’s: Poll,” Taipei Times, October 29, 2012 taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003546432

[quote][The Economist said that] satisfaction with his administrative performance has plummeted to a record low of 13 percent, citing a survey by the TVBS Poll Center.[/quote]–“Ma Is No Bumbler: Spokesman Responds to Economist Report,” China Post, November 17, 2012 chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/nati … /Ma-is.htm

A sad story of waste, corruption and inefficiency.

They’ll probably write that on Taiwan’s gravestone.

They’ll probably write that on Taiwan’s gravestone.[/quote]

Ba-da-bing, ba-da-boom.