Taiwan's richest man, his candle has extinguished

I’d put it in the Morgue 2008, but he probably deserves a special mention. Taiwan’s richest man, Wang Yong Qing, had died.

reuters.com/article/rbssEner … 0920081016

The article didn’t mention that he had 3 wives, like they did on the news.

I didn’t know polygamy was legal in Taiwan?

It’s not. I don’t think they were legally married.

When my kids went to some hotsy totsy kindergarden in Taipei there were at least 2 classmates who were sons of second, (and even 3rd), wives. Not legally married but kept in good means financially. The husband rotated periodically between them.

[quote=“Elegua”]It’s not. I don’t think they were legally married.

When my kids went to some hotsy totsy kindergarden in Taipei there were at least 2 classmates who were sons of second, (and even 3rd), wives. Not legally married but kept in good means financially. The husband rotated periodically between them.[/quote]

Gotta spread that seed, I mean that wealth :laughing:

[quote]The article didn’t mention that he had 3 wives, like they did on the news.

I didn’t know polygamy was legal in Taiwan?[/quote]

Weirdest thing is that all Taiwanese women I have heard discussing his dead bring this up – and these are mostly the kind that wouldn’t allow their husbands to even look at another woman.

From the tone of their discussion they think its pretty cool and seem full of understanding. Dual standards anyone?

Working until the very end at 92 is also seen as a good thing.

Early retirement seems not popular :astonished:

Incidentally, he wasn’t Taiwan’s richest was he? I thought that was the HonHai guy.

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“Elegua”]It’s not. I don’t think they were legally married.

When my kids went to some hotsy totsy kindergarden in Taipei there were at least 2 classmates who were sons of second, (and even 3rd), wives. Not legally married but kept in good means financially. The husband rotated periodically between them.[/quote]

Gotta spread that seed, I mean that wealth :laughing:[/quote]

By my reckoning, those moms redefined MILF.

:blush:

On the Forbes list, Tsai Hung-tu (Cathay Insurance) is the wealthiest. Wang was the second. Much of the Wang’s family’s wealth is squirreled away in the vast foundations that they use to run huge chunks of Taiwan’s health care industry and evade taxes. More importantly, an article in the China Times points out that Wang’s crown jewel the Formosa Plastics Group is by far Taiwan’s most profitable company. They made over 210 billion NT$ in post tax profit in 2007. FPG has two trillion in assets, second after the Cathay Group, and is the only non-financial holding company in Taiwan’s top 10 in terms of assets.

Hong Hai’s revenue was 2 trillion in 2007. But it lags far behind FPG in terms of profitability and assets.

My favorite Wang story was that his idea of a good meal was a T-bone steak and 4 Taiwan beers (brown bottles).

[quote=“Feiren”]On the Forbes list, Tsai Hung-tu (Cathay Insurance) is the wealthiest. Wang was the second. Much of the Wang’s family’s wealth is squirreled away in the vast foundations that they use to run huge chunks of Taiwan’s health care industry and evade taxes. More importantly, an article in the China Times points out that Wang’s crown jewel the Formosa Plastics Group is by far Taiwan’s most profitable company. They made over 210 billion NT$ in post tax profit in 2007. FPG has two trillion in assets, second after the Cathay Group, and is the only non-financial holding company in Taiwan’s top 10 in terms of assets.

Hong Hai’s revenue was 2 trillion in 2007. But it lags far behind FPG in terms of profitability and assets.

My favorite Wang story was that his idea of a good meal was a T-bone steak and 4 Taiwan beers (brown bottles).[/quote]

His hospitals were build as tax shelters, but they actually are quite profitable and in terms of market share, in for some procedures are 40-50 of the entire case volume for Taiwan.

His daughter owns HTC. Deep pockets. He’s no hero though, I think they make a large part of the profits from the duopoly they share in oil market here. That and all the horribly toxic refineries and plastic operations that pump out millions of tonnes of CO2 a year.
Yes and I asked my wife about what she thought of the 3 wives angle, her answer was it was legal then (not sure about that). I also got the old double standard feeling. To be rich is to be above the law.

[quote=“DutchMan”][quote]The article didn’t mention that he had 3 wives, like they did on the news.

I didn’t know polygamy was legal in Taiwan?[/quote]

[b]Weirdest thing is that all Taiwanese women I have heard discussing his dead bring this up – and these are mostly the kind that wouldn’t allow their husbands to even look at another woman.

From the tone of their discussion they think its pretty cool and seem full of understanding. Dual standards anyone?[/b]

Working until the very end at 92 is also seen as a good thing.

Early retirement seems not popular :astonished:[/quote]

Hey, look at it in context. I am sure these women would think polygamy is just fine if they are taken good care of enough financially. Money is God to the Taiwanese, no???

[quote=“Feiren”]
My favorite Wang story was that his idea of a good meal was a T-bone steak and 4 Taiwan beers (brown bottles).[/quote]

Sounds delicious to me as well. :slight_smile:

[quote=“headhonchoII”]
Yes and I asked my wife about what she thought of the 3 wives angle, her answer was it was legal then (not sure about that). I also got the old double standard feeling. To be rich is to be above the law.[/quote]

That’s the same answer that I got from my gf. Said that back then it was acceptable. I agree with your sentiment that to be rich is above the law. Well maybe not completely untouchable, but the proverbial “gray area” seems to be incredibly larger.

[quote=“Elegua”]

By my reckoning, those moms redefined MILF.

:blush:[/quote]

:laughing:

There was a previous discussion on here about the high percentage of MILFs in Taiwan. But man, I think there has to be a line drawn somewhere. Like under 50 or something…

But for me maybe I’d bump it up for every USD$10 million of personal wealth.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]His daughter owns HTC. Deep pockets. He’s no hero though, I think they make a large part of the profits from the duopoly they share in oil market here. That and all the horribly toxic refineries and plastic operations that pump out millions of tonnes of CO2 a year.
Yes and I asked my wife about what she thought of the 3 wives angle, her answer was it was legal then (not sure about that). I also got the old double standard feeling. To be rich is to be above the law.[/quote]

The money comes from the horrible toxic refineries and plastics operations. His string of gas stations opened only about 10 years ago (if that long).

Before 1985, a woman who discovered that her husband had married a second wife had the right to file a law suit to have the second (or third) marriage avoided. However, if she did not bring an action, the second marriage was perfectly valid. In 1985 the Civil Code was changed so that the act of marrying a second time was illegal. Of course Wang had married all of his wives long before then, and since none of them have sued to avoid the other marriages, his three marriages were perfectly legal. He was indeed very rich, but at least in this instance, he was operating within the law.

True :slight_smile:

What is the point of marrying for love and live on recycled betle nuts when you can be a second wife and have lots of $$ ?

And best of all, Wife #1 gets plenty of legal ammunition to slap Mr husband around if she feels like it.

“Sure you can sleep with #2, and even #3, but I want that new BMW for Christmas, otherwise I will have the police bust you straight into Next magazine”

I can’t think of a better family in Taiwan. Hardworking, frugal, down-to-earth, and philanthropic. Started Formosa Plastics with help from USAID in the 1950s. Their success story is the story of Taiwan–the little island that could :bravo: . Virtually every plastic good in Taiwan from toys in the 50s and 60s to calculators in the 70s and 80s to state-of-the-art electronic devices in the 90s and 00s was/is made with their plastics.

Strongly disagree. While Wang was unquestionably a genius, his vast wealth was extracted at a terrible cost to Taiwan’s environment. The destruction goes on at the death complex of Mailiao where children in nearby schools have to wear face masks at school because of the toxic air. And like most Taiwanese tycoons, the Wang family is incredibly stingy. Their main ‘charitable’ endeavor has been their hospital foundations, which are in fact for-profit, tax free businesses that suck off the teat of the state while the profits flow into the Wang family’s coffers.

Without the hard work, leadership, and foresight of families in Taiwan such as the Koos, Wangs etc. , Taiwan, a country with little or no natural resources, wouldn’t be nearly as economically powerful. What I admire about these families is that their joy is in making money and serving others, not so much in spending it. It is a lesson that many people in North America could learn from IMHO.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003426192

Neither the Wangs nor the Koos have served anyone unless it suited it their business interests. I will grant that they (especially the Wangs) have worked very hard and have contributed a great deal to Taiwan’s economy and well-being by serving their own hard-nosed interests. And I’m receptive to the argument that we should not think ill of them for doing so.

But this outpouring of toadying nostalgia for the Y. C Wang’s supposed good works and kind heart is simply repulsive. No disrespect for the man himself or his family’s grief though.

Without the hard work, leadership, and foresight of families in Taiwan such as the Koos, Wangs etc. , Taiwan, a country with little or no natural resources, wouldn’t be nearly as economically powerful. What I admire about these families is that their joy is in making money and serving others, not so much in spending it. It is a lesson that many people in North America could learn from IMHO.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003426192[/quote]

I see both points, but I’d have to agree with Chewy because someone had to lead. If it wasn’t Wang it would have been someone else.

But the environmental effects that Feiren mentioned can’t go unnoticed either. It’s unfortunate that people must suffer, but at that time I’d venture to say that saving the planet wasn’t a priority.

He’ll be remembered for the good work he did and how he started with $200 NT. At least that is the folklore legend that was repeated to me. Ask your TW friends and I bet they’ll say the same thing.

That guy and his toxic filth spewing empire are responsible for horrendous, wholesale destruction of countless Taiwanese ecosystems perhaps even the extinction of several animal species in Taiwan… The caustic toxicity his empire has wantonly spewed into Taiwan’s air day in day out for the last 50 years, accounting for over half of Taiwan’s industrial pollution output, has and will continue to cause serious lung disease, poisoning, cancer, death and suffering in thousands of innocent Taiwanese people…

His family’s empire no doubt helped Taiwan’s economic heyday, and he threw some charitable small change around which did a little good, but in the grand reckoning, I’d say good riddance to this guy… if only his toxic legacy was as easy come easy go…

The very notion that he’s being lauded as some great humanitarian is…well, just :roflmao:

Three wives…no wonder he was such a miserable old fucker.

No more Formosa Plastic Steak for you!!!