Taking a Taiwan dog to the UK

We really want to get a dog here in Taiwan, but know that one day we will likely want to visit the UK for a few months, or potentially move back for a few years for our children’s education. I’m wondering, how easy is it to take a dog out of Taiwan and into the UK and what costs are involved?

Taking a dog or cat direct can only be done via cargo on a cargo plane. This would incur a cost of around 20,000NT or more. And you would probably best do that through an agent.
The other option is flying direct with the dog as baggage to say Amsterdam and taking a train to the UK via a ferry.
The extra cost for the flight would be around $200US +.
I think the train to London is around 80 Euros???
You could also try Paris and then to Calais. But you’d need a taxi I think. Hassle and what with the migrant madness around there I would opt for Amsterdam.

If you do a web search you will come across people that have done it.

And if you do do it, please update this thread with the process and any issues.

Can’t speak for other airlines, but Asiana charge 4000nt and you can take it in the cabin with you as long as it’s in an approved carrier that can fit under the seat in front of you.

For cats, they need to be microchipped and have had a series of vaccinations (including rabies) a few months before travel, with a follow up a week or so before leaving.

This was before the rabid badger was found in Tainan though, so not sure if things have tightened up after that.

1 Like

To the UK dogs cannot go in cabin. They all have to go cargo.

This is wrong. Animals cannot be taken on a flight with a passenger to the UK either on board or in the hold. As I and the poster above stated it can only be done as Cargo - on a Cargo plane.