Taking an Animal as Excess Baggage

I thought I’d let you all know that taking an animal out of Taiwan as excess baggage is actually a really simple procedure. This post is mostly for people who want to help transport an animal but feel iffy about being “responsible” for the animal. We just shipped out Tai the Husky over the weekend and this is what we found:

A few days before departure, during the weekday, you and the exporter need to go to Roosevelt Road Section 4 Lane 113 #9 Phone: 02.2738.7868 (they have locations throughout Taiwan. Call 02.2343.1401 for a location near you).

Actually, you don’t even need to touch, like, or care for animals. What is required is that the animal is claimed as your excess baggage, that means, during the flight and once you land, you have to remember you have your own luggages, plus a crate.

At the check-in counter, you’ll be asked to fill in some forms. The cost to export a dog and crate varies with the carrier. With EVA it was NT$ 6,272. At that size, the dog and crate counted as two excess baggages. Be at the airport at least two hours before your flight. Once you land, the flight attendant or ground crew should let you know where to claim your animal. I don’t think it is really on the conveyor belt…

There is no cost for you at all, as the person responsible for exporting the animal and/or the person on the receiving end at the airport to meet you should be responsible for all costs. If, by chance, you need to pay any duties or fees upon landing, you should be reimbursed that amount (not much) by the new owner.

It is actually really easy peasy. So if you want to help someone bring an animal over but are unsure, this is your chance.

Good luck.

Great info 914.

If you are leaving Taiwan via Kaohsiung, you can call Maggie at 0927069496. She is co-founder of Savedogs in Kaohsiung and they almost always have dogs waiting for a flight opportunity.

bobepine

I’d have to second the info 914 gave. You can even get your export permit at the airport, but I would reccomend getting at the Bureau in Taipei…it’s easier on your nerves!! :laughing:

It’s so easy, and so helpful, it should be compulsory to foreigners going home…! No really though, it’s a great help and I’m certain the doggies are more than grateful.

[quote=“914”]I thought I’d let you all know that taking an animal out of Taiwan as excess baggage is actually a really simple procedure. This post is mostly for people who want to help transport an animal but feel iffy about being “responsible” for the animal. We just shipped out Tai the Husky over the weekend and this is what we found:

A few days before departure, during the weekday, you and the exporter need to go to Roosevelt Road Section 4 Lane 113 #9 Phone: 02.2738.7868 (they have locations throughout Taiwan. Call 02.2343.1401 for a location near you).

Actually, you don’t even need to touch, like, or care for animals. What is required is that the animal is claimed as your excess baggage, that means, during the flight and once you land, you have to remember you have your own luggages, plus a crate.

At the check-in counter, you’ll be asked to fill in some forms. The cost to export a dog and crate varies with the carrier. With EVA it was NT$ 6,272. At that size, the dog and crate counted as two excess baggages. Be at the airport at least two hours before your flight. Once you land, the flight attendant or ground crew should let you know where to claim your animal. I don’t think it is really on the conveyor belt…

There is no cost for you at all, as the person responsible for exporting the animal and/or the person on the receiving end at the airport to meet you should be responsible for all costs. If, by chance, you need to pay any duties or fees upon landing, you should be reimbursed that amount (not much) by the new owner.

It is actually really easy peasy. So if you want to help someone bring an animal over but are unsure, this is your chance.

Good luck.[/quote]

Here here, I took a couple of cats out years back, and it was about the same. VERY simple. U.S. Customs basically said “Poor kitties need to get outta that kennel” when we came through (the guy liked cats :slight_smile: ).

The below is copy and pasted from the “Exporting Animals out of Taiwan” thread.

[quote=“914”]Fyi, once you land at the Vancouver International Airport, there will be an Import Fee of $ 30 plus GST of $2.10, totalling CDN$32.10 levied by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency for any animals brought in, via the excess baggage route or not. This is payable after you pass through Customs and Immigration.

Just letting you know that there is a last bit of charge once you land at your destination. Well, there is in Vancouver, not sure about other cities.[/quote]

In this airline literature when they say “animals” they mean cats and dogs. Forget about anything else.

Lord Lucan’s still angry cos they wouldn’t let him go on as excess baggage. :stuck_out_tongue:

Lord Lucan’s still angry cos they wouldn’t let him go on as excess baggage. :p[/quote]

Ha! Where does it way “no leprechauns” in Cathay Pacific’s literature? Eh? Nowhere! That’s where!

I think that taking an animal to North America as excess baggage is fine, but just to let those going to the UK know that your animal has to fly as cargo. And as of Oct BA will no longer be the approved DEFRA carrier for pets on the PETS scheme into the UK.