Taking bicycle on the train

Not sure if you guys talked about it before, if yes, please point me to the thread (search didn’t work).

But I need to travel by train to work everyday. It’s the kind of local train, stops every station. I saw some woman with folded bicycle (in bag) in the train a few times, wondering if I could do that too.

Are there any restriction about taking the bicycle to the train? I think some trains have special space for bicycles, but not all. Would folded bicycle in a bag count as normal baggage? I don’t want to buy a folding bicycle just to find out I won’t be able to get on train with it.

I did this once in a while last year and though I was never clear on the exact bike policy, it seemed like bikes were only permitted on certain local trains, not all, and there was nothing special about those trains aside from them being mostly empty. I think only short distances are allowed as well; I once tried to bring the bike from Hsinchu to Taipei and they just looked at me like I was mad. It didn’t matter which train or what time, or if it was Banqiao instead of Main Station, it just wasn’t allowed at all. Also, very few people must do this as the person in the ticket window got super flustered and confused, leave for 10min to call President Ma etc, every time I’d bring my bike in.

Is there a Kuo-Kuang bus line running your commute? It’s never a problem with them, you just pay an extra 50% fare and chuck it in the luggage compartment. The ticket person won’t have an anxiety attack either.

PS: I have a non-foldable road bike. It’s definitely not an issue of you can collapse it into a bag.

[quote=“benjenstark”]I did this once in a while last year and though I was never clear on the exact bike policy, it seemed like bikes were only permitted on certain local trains, not all, and there was nothing special about those trains aside from them being mostly empty. I think only short distances are allowed as well; I once tried to bring the bike from Hsinchu to Taipei and they just looked at me like I was mad. It didn’t matter which train or what time, or if it was Banqiao instead of Main Station, it just wasn’t allowed at all. Also, very few people must do this as the person in the ticket window got super flustered and confused, leave for 10min to call President Ma etc, every time I’d bring my bike in.

Is there a Kuo-Kuang bus line running your commute? It’s never a problem with them, you just pay an extra 50% fare and chuck it in the luggage compartment. The ticket person won’t have an anxiety attack either.

PS: I have a non-foldable road bike. It’s definitely not an issue of you can collapse it into a bag.[/quote]

Well, I think the long distance train have some special ones for bikes too. But I need to for daily commute, and in rush hours (on and off work time), from experience I know the trains can be pretty crowded then, especially on the off work time. Not sure about buses, but to be honest train is just quicker (around 20 min) but I guess the bus would take at least an hour. And +50% for everyday ticket might be a lot.

Yeah, it seems fold able bike should be ok, though I’m not sure if it won’t cause problem since after folding it’s still quite a baggage. Thanks for sharing!

[quote=“mukashi”][quote=“benjenstark”]I did this once in a while last year and though I was never clear on the exact bike policy, it seemed like bikes were only permitted on certain local trains, not all, and there was nothing special about those trains aside from them being mostly empty. I think only short distances are allowed as well; I once tried to bring the bike from Hsinchu to Taipei and they just looked at me like I was mad. It didn’t matter which train or what time, or if it was Banqiao instead of Main Station, it just wasn’t allowed at all. Also, very few people must do this as the person in the ticket window got super flustered and confused, leave for 10min to call President Ma etc, every time I’d bring my bike in.

PS: I have a non-foldable road bike. It’s definitely not an issue of you can collapse it into a bag.[/quote]

Well, I think the long distance train have some special ones for bikes too. But I need to for daily commute, and in rush hours (on and off work time), from experience I know the trains can be pretty crowded then, especially on the off work time. Not sure about buses, but to be honest train is just quicker (around 20 min) but I guess the bus would take at least an hour. And +50% for everyday ticket might be a lot.

Yeah, it seems fold able bike should be ok, though I’m not sure if it won’t cause problem since after folding it’s still quite a baggage. Thanks for sharing![/quote]

If you don’t have to transfer, it might be a workable solution for commuting.
I’ve done this on the MRT before with a fold-able bike and found it very inconvenient. It even gave me a backache.
Fist of all, you’ll have to fold your bike every-time and then try to get it into a bag. You’ll have to secure it on the train, cause you don’t want anyone to get hurt.
When going from one platform to another, you’ll realize that those are long distances carrying a bulky package. It’s often easier to carry a normal bike.

I gave up on the idea and now I am riding an E-bike the complete distances. That’s much more convenient, plus nobody is sneezing into your face.

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”][quote=“mukashi”][quote=“benjenstark”]I did this once in a while last year and though I was never clear on the exact bike policy, it seemed like bikes were only permitted on certain local trains, not all, and there was nothing special about those trains aside from them being mostly empty. I think only short distances are allowed as well; I once tried to bring the bike from Hsinchu to Taipei and they just looked at me like I was mad. It didn’t matter which train or what time, or if it was Banqiao instead of Main Station, it just wasn’t allowed at all. Also, very few people must do this as the person in the ticket window got super flustered and confused, leave for 10min to call President Ma etc, every time I’d bring my bike in.

Yeah, it seems fold able bike should be ok, though I’m not sure if it won’t cause problem since after folding it’s still quite a baggage. Thanks for sharing![/quote]

If you don’t have to transfer, it might be a workable solution for commuting.
I’ve done this on the MRT before with a fold-able bike and found it very inconvenient. It even gave me a backache.
Fist of all, you’ll have to fold your bike every-time and then try to get it into a bag. You’ll have to secure it on the train, cause you don’t want anyone to get hurt.
When going from one platform to another, you’ll realize that those are long distances carrying a bulky package. It’s often easier to carry a normal bike.

I gave up on the idea and now I am riding an E-bike the complete distances. That’s much more convenient, plus nobody is sneezing into your face.[/quote]

Thanks, actually I was worried, that this might actually be a little inconvenient, but I guess I wanted to hear what people who did that think :slight_smile: the other option is to get a second handed cheap scooter for the second location, and have one left in the near home train station, and one in the near the work station.

Yup. Two bikes, one at each end.

Or just ride the whole way. Twenty minutes on a train plus two Ike rides and the concomitant waiting for the train and so on would be about the same as just riding it.

no, bicycle from Taichung to Houli takes probably more than an hour and is pretty sweaty. Even for a scooter is kind of far. Apparently there’s a shuttle bus from station to workplace (it’s in kind of science park) so maybe just one bike will work~ will have to try~