Taking my infidel cell to NY

My cell, depsite being dunked in the big blue is still working, although the lcd screen is gone. Now when I went to the PI last CNY, my friends got local SIM cards…is that right?

Can I take my cell to NY and buy a SIM card there and be connected?

Depends on your cell (make and model), you would need a tri-band phone for it to work in the US.

It’s a “quad” something something…

Then it should be OK.

No screen though? How do you manage? What if you have to change a setting for the new network in the US of A?

Then it should be OK.

No screen though? How do you manage? What if you have to change a setting for the new network in the US of A?[/quote]

this is why I stay far away from the accursed forum…

like what would I need to change?

Then it should be OK.

No screen though? How do you manage? What if you have to change a setting for the new network in the US of A?[/quote]

like what would I need to change?[/quote]

Well theoretically, you shouldn’t need to change anything.

Then it should be OK.

like what would I need to change?[/quote]

Well theoretically, you shouldn’t need to change anything.[/quote]

So why the fargin hell are you making me worry!

WIll global warming effect reception in the US because we don’t like Kyoto?

sheesh

calls himself a mod…

I’ll mod your FEE-ASS!!

I’m just sayin… it MIGHT be that you have to do some setting to find a new network or something. It should be automatic, but, you know.

BTW, your phone is GSM, in case they ask (You don’t have to understand, just remember it).

VERY difficult to get a SIM card here in New York, as that would make you independent of any of hte bloodsucking cell phone companies that all lock you into a 2-year contract.

Your best bet is to splash out about $40 to get a TracPhone, which is a pre-paid simple Nokia basic model type cellphone. You can add minutes as you like by buying cards (not in every 7-11, alas!, but in enough places). For a short-term visit that would be your best bet, I think.

I was extremely disappointed at the lack of cell phone options in the US when I came back from Taiwan. It’s all about monopolies here.

[quote=“ironlady”]VERY difficult to get a SIM card here in New York, as that would make you independent of any of hte bloodsucking cell phone companies that all lock you into a 2-year contract.

Your best bet is to splash out about $40 to get a TracPhone, which is a pre-paid simple Nokia basic model type cellphone. You can add minutes as you like by buying cards (not in every 7-11, alas!, but in enough places). For a short-term visit that would be your best bet, I think.

I was extremely disappointed at the lack of cell phone options in the US when I came back from Taiwan. It’s all about monopolies here.[/quote]

crap!

now I owe you two beers

ever been to Mahars?

Dude,

You’re going to NY, huh? Care to do some care packing shopping for me while you’re there. I have a short list. :smiley: :pray:

[quote=“Namahottie”]Dude,

You’re going to NY, huh? Care to do some care packing shopping for me while you’re there. I have a short list. :smiley: :pray:[/quote]

It had best be short…you aint the first…give me a PM

[quote=“ironlady”]VERY difficult to get a SIM card here in New York, as that would make you independent of any of hte bloodsucking cell phone companies that all lock you into a 2-year contract.
[/quote]
What happened to Cingular? When I was last in the States Cingular used SIM cards on their pay as you go plan. This was good for all the models they carried (though that feature wasn’t advertised).

I’m not aware of Cingular having this kind of plan anymore, but they might…might. At any rate, the only way to go is to get some kind of a prepaid plan, which usually includes having to purchase a phone from whoever it is. You can’t get just the SIM cards here very easily (although another option that occurs to me would be buying one on EBay, since you have an unlocked phone to insert it into.) The trick in the States is getting your hands on an unlocked phone and a SIM card at the same time, and as I said, most companies won’t let you use “your” phone, becuase you can take the SIM card out and (gasp) use another one.

jb, sorry to disappoint you, but the Iron Maiden doesn’t drink…but if you can drink for me, or stand Iron Hubby a round, we might be okay! I’ve actually been to far fewer places in NY than in Taipei, so just about any place you propose would be new to me. :frowning: :blush:

When I went to the States for Christmas, I got picked up by some company as soon as I stepped off the plane (complete with a “Welcome to the United States. We hope you enjoy your stay.”). Came in handy when I kept getting phone calls from people back in Taiwan all the time asking me to be in places that were a few thousand miles away from where I was at that time.

jd JD Jd, jD…but jb? :laughing:

Cool, neither do I. I just saved myself 10 bucks. :slight_smile:

If you hubby is a beer lover, Mahars is on western ave, close to SUNY, next to the japanese resturant. They’ve got about 200 beers on tap.

Gad, I used to loooooooooooov that place.

jdsober

Maybe if I’d been drinking, I’d have gotten the “jd” right? :smiley:

Seriously, my cousins are dyslexic, and so are their kids…and I always confuse the left and right sides of Chinese characters…hmmm…

I am also back in the USA at the moment, and I’m finding that the cell phone service here truly sucks. It is the worst in the world! Not only crap service (poor coverage, incompatible standards), but also outrageously expensive. We get spoiled in Taiwan, with cheap, universal service. US cell phone service nowdays is about where Taiwan was, circa 1990.

Anyway, how to deal with it? I’ve discovered the solution - it’s called “doing without.” Amazing how relaxing it is, now that people just can’t call me wherever I happen to be. When I’m out and about, I’ve rediscovered that ancient technology, the “pay phone.” Amazingly, these still exist (or maybe not so amazing, seeing how sucky the cell phone service is).

Most amazing of all is when you hear some ignorant American boasting “the USA has the best cell phone service in the world.” Kind of like those Microsoft dupes who go around saying “Windows is the most secure operating system in the world.” I have a hard time convincing my fellow Americans that cell phone service in China and India is far better than here.

The situation with broadband Internet here is also primitive compared to Taiwan. It does seem to be improving slowly, but only in urban areas. Costs are at least double of Taiwan, and many areas lack coverage. Broadband doesn’t exist where I live, unless I’m willing to fork out US$70/month for a satellite dish (that’s after paying US$600 for the equipment). So right now I’m back to dialup.

While I’m on this particular anti-American rant, I’ll add that the health care system here is also decidedly Third World. That is to say, good for the rich, bad for the other 90% of the population that isn’t. Like at least 25% of my fellow Americans, I am without health insurance, and worried about it. Even the 25% figure is bogus, because many others around here have health insurance that gives inadequate coverage (giant-sized deductibles and too much “co-pay” as they call it). And I’m also hearing from most people here that “America has the greatest health care in the world.” They flip when I tell them what it was like in Taiwan. For all the criticisms I’ve heard about Jianbao, it was paradise compared to my options here, Of course, this is the wrong forum for discussing this - maybe I’ll continue this topic on the Health forum.

OK, I’ve said my piece. Sorry, I’m not anti-US, but I’m experiencing reverse culture-shock. Anyway, there are some things that are definitely better than Taiwan. Like people (mostly) obeying traffic rules, for example.

cheers,
DB

Hi DB,
It’s not culture shock…there are things (many things) that are legitimately better for people in Taiwan compared to the US. And all the ones you mention are spot-on.

I would like to see Congress go with an “average” health coverage for one year, and see just how long it takes them to pass universal health coverage. My guess is about two months, maximum. :noway:

DB come home!