Taking on the 'weak'

Taipei times story

How would they do that?

I’m not saying that all cyclists are going by the book … but this is a rediculous remark …

I don’t get what you mean.

In the US, cyclists are notorious for ignoring stop signs and sometimes red lights. I wish they’d be arrested for doing so. :fume:

When I was in Tainan a couple weeks ago, I had difficulty passing five high school students riding side by side on bicycles in a busy, narrow street during rush hour. :loco:

Thats SOP here…I am not ‘nice’ to these ignorant young bastards.

I’m unrepentant… completely

How would they fail to keep a safe driving distance? It’s not like they are doing 50-60km/h

Why single out idiot cyclists from the idiot truck drivers, idiot car drivers, idiot pedestrians, idiot farm vehicle drivers who all wander blindly around the roads in their hermetically sealed “I’m-the-only-person-who-exists” bubbles.

Remember: Laws and safety regulations are for other people, not for you!

[quote=“llama_lout”]Why single out idiot cyclists from the idiot truck drivers, idiot car drivers, idiot pedestrians, idiot farm vehicle drivers who all wander blindly around the roads in their hermetically sealed “I’m-the-only-person-who-exists” bubbles.
Remember: Laws and safety regulations are for other people, not for you![/quote]
Because thats is what the thread is about.

It’s a thread about young bicycle riders who ride 2 -3- 4 and even 5 abreast in traffic lanes.
I have to deal with it every day. It is unsafe and slows traffic.
Got it?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“llama_lout”]Why single out idiot cyclists from the idiot truck drivers, idiot car drivers, idiot pedestrians, idiot farm vehicle drivers who all wander blindly around the roads in their hermetically sealed “I’m-the-only-person-who-exists” bubbles.
Remember: Laws and safety regulations are for other people, not for you![/quote]
Because thats is what the thread is about.

It’s a thread about young bicycle riders who ride 2 -3- 4 and even 5 abreast in traffic lanes.
Got it?[/quote]

Not to mention punks in cars driving in the scooter lane.

Oops, I scratched your car. How unfortunate.

I’m unrepentant… completely[/quote]

Actually, I’d really like to understand why cyclists don’t think stop signs apply to them.

I’m unrepentant… completely[/quote]

Actually, I’d really like to understand why cyclists don’t think stop signs apply to them.[/quote]

Who does in Taiwan?

[quote]Actually, I’d really like to understand why cyclists don’t think stop signs apply to them.
[/quote]

Coming out of corners without looking.
Swerving across the road without looking behind them.
Going through red lights.
Going down the wrong side of the street.
Not paying attention.
Driving off the footpath into car lanes without stopping or looking.
The inability of most people in Taiwan to ride a bicycle in a straight line.
No lights on bicycles at night.
Heavy bags hanging off the handlebars.
Kids 2 and sometimes 3 up on a bicycle.

…it’s no wonder they get mown down.

They do understand that the lights apply to them they just don’t want to waste the momentum they have built up from their pervious peddeling efforts to stop. Also, when a person is riding a bicycle they feel less in a bubble and more attuned to their environment and so more capable of bending the rules safely. It is often a mistake. Anyway, the whole isssue would be much less of a concern if their were not so many gas guzzling stink bombs rolling around.

[quote=“Dangermouse”]

Coming out of corners without looking.
Swerving across the road without looking behind them.
Going through red lights.
Going down the wrong side of the street.
Not paying attention.
Driving off the footpath into car lanes without stopping or looking.
The inability of most people in Taiwan to ride a bicycle in a straight line.
No lights on bicycles at night.
Heavy bags hanging off the handlebars.
Kids 2 and sometimes 3 up on a bicycle.

…it’s no wonder they get mown down.[/quote]

How is this different from the average scooter driver in Taiwan (at least in Taichung or Tainan)?

They apply, but If I’m moving I don’t see any reason to yield yet another advantage to the cars. The whole deck is already stacked in their favor. They’re bigger, faster, heavier, the roads and signalling are designed pretty much exculsively for them, and if I stop and proceed they’re a lot less likely to yield to me anyway. Stop? Why? What’s in it for me?

There’s some great logic for ya.
That seems to be the main part of the traffic problem in Taiwan. No one sees what’s in it for them to follow the laws.

Cyclists here (and I am one) are just like any other road-user here - ignorant, selfish and stupid (I generally don’t ride in the city, but when I do, I obey the road rules - even if no one else is, whether they’re on bikes, scooters, in cars etc).

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]

Got it?[/quote]

However, what the good Cowboy has said is partially wrong. Yes, it slows traffic, but it’s actually safer. At least in the West, (not sure about Taiwan), a cyclist, by law, has the legal right to use a lane on the road - the whole lane. A single cyclist, or a single line of cyclists, is much more likely to be hit by a motorist who doesn’t yield to the cyclist’s right to be in that lane. A group of cyclists, riding 5 abreast (providing they are staying in the lane) forces the motorist to give the cyclist the right of way that they have in that lane.

5 abreast, and every driver (well, perhaps not Taiwanese ones) knows that they can’t overtake without changing lanes. A single cyclist, and the driver behind often tries to overtake without changing lanes.

And in the west, it’s illegal for a cyclist to be on the sidewalk. Well, they don’t really have sidewalks here, but when they do, they’re usually crammed with either shops, parked cars/scooters, or scooter riders taking a shortcut.

More than 2 abreast is unsafe.

I thought this thread was about them cracking down on cyclists but ignoring everyone else. The same way they crack down on jaywalkers crossing stationary traffic when only meters away cars are refusing to let pedestrians cross at pedestrian crossings.

It’s all about the mormon missionaries , they drive into people to make contact :slight_smile:

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]More than 2 abreast is unsafe.

I thought this thread was about them cracking down on cyclists but ignoring everyone else. The same way they crack down on jaywalkers crossing stationary traffic when only meters away cars are refusing to let pedestrians cross at pedestrian crossings.[/quote]

Narrowminded bur-o-crats … they can’t or won’t think … can only handle one situation/problem, than go on to next and the previous returns to it’s former state …