Taking pets on TRA or HSR

I’m just reading that according to new regulations, you have to ask for a “permit” before taking pet on the trains -in a carrier, of course- whether it is the normal Taiwan Railways or the Hisgh Speed Rail. Otherwise, they hit you with a fine.

Anyone’s got experience with this?

How recently were these regulations made? And where did you read about them? I’d like to know about it because I’ve carried my beagle and ferrets in pet bags on the TRA and HSR and never had a problem before…

I read the news in Chinese last Monday. I was wondering if it was already in effect, too.

I’ll add a link later.

I need to know if this is true. I have to carry 2 cats from Taichung to Taipei and i don’t want to drive them since they get bored over 2 hours of car travel. I want to take HSR.

With regards to taking dogs in a carrying case, if your dog is too big for a case that you can carry by hand, can you use of the those stroller dealies? I’m thinking of taking my dog with me the next time the wife and I go away for a weekend as I hate leaving him with a family member or at a kennel, it upsets him so much.

thsrc.com.tw/en/ticket/tic_guide.asp scroll down to “personal belongings”, item 5. It’s in Chinglish I’m afraid. But seems to suggest: yes, as long as they don’t bother others.

What’s the scenario with taking animals onto the MRT?

on the MRT they need to be inside a carrier and cannot be even one cm of fur outside… had that experience when I set with my westie inside a wagon and a girl that was next to me started shouting she was afraid of dogs… and her shouts made my westie go nuts, and her part of her fur was visible outside the bag (not like she was outside)… my wife went to talk to the girl and told her to be “adult”, because she clearly disturbed us and our dog…

when we got out of the station, we went to talk with the security and he said that as long as the dog doesn’t come out in any way, it is ok… but asked us to make it in a way that people cannot see that there is a dog there…

Going back to the HSR question, I asked in Chiayi:

Are pets allowed?

Any restriction in the size of the pet carrier?

Do we have to pay extra/give advance notice?

They replied no problem with pets, 43X53X365 or whatever is standard carry on size, and no need to pay or tell in advance.

Same when I asked in Taipei.

Hope then reason prevailed, and it was just a rumor/plan.

A decade later… looking on TRA website, it seems that only small pets can be taken onboard the train, and stowed by your feet. The max length is exactly the length of our dog’s body (minus head and tail). How strict are they? Are there other options, or something I’m missing, for getting her onboard?

Join the pram crowd.