Taking pictures of strangers is considerably weird

Because their fathers came from China and the only women available were largely Taiwan native

Hence the reason why most Taiwanese have aboriginal blood

3 Likes

Although I agree itā€™s weird, thereā€™s no expectation of privacy in public. Itā€™s better to ignore it and go about your day. In my opinion at least

1 Like

Well, no. In the US, out in public where thereā€™s no legal expectation of privacy, anyone can take a picture of anyone else.

1 Like

By fathers do you mean forefathers?

Actually my understanding is that a lot of the mixing was done to ensure peace between settlements. If an indigenous daughter married into a Han settlement it helped keep the peace.

I know of 3 daughters 3 families in their early 50ā€™s whose father was ROC soldier.
When they started school advised by their mother to hide Ethnic Taiwan side of identity!

You lot must be good looking ļ¼Œit was decades since someone last took a picture of me.

2 Likes

Welcome to Forumosa

No need to freak out. A polite call out is usually enough to strike the fear of God into them. No one wants to be that person getting caught in the act of being a creep and the face culture makes it seriously worse. At the same time, not making a fuss allows the person to not dig their heels in the issue and turn the whole thing against you.

Be it 2022 or 2052, youā€™re in an insular island that is more attuned to its immediate neighbors than it is to the rest of the world. They see an indonesian woman with a hijab and they wonā€™t mind it because theyā€™re used to it, but the same sight would guarantee stares in some backwater places in the West too, because theyā€™ve never really seen the the real deal sometimes. I mean, Iā€™m African, and the amount of stares Han people get in my home country are pretty spectacular as well. So I kinda get them but i still stay firm when i feel like thereā€™s some weird stuff going on, especially behind my back (they tried taking pics of my sister once)

6 Likes

I love taking pictures of ugly people. They make for much more interesting photographs.

2 Likes

:joy:
Thanks for that.
Iā€™m not ugly just not a hot stud like yourself.

I was put out to pasture years agoā€¦ :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Iā€™m sure youā€™re still a wild bull at heart. Now, after your comment if anyone takes a picture Iā€™ll think itā€™s because Iā€™m ugly not ā€œOh Iā€™ve still got itā€.

2 Likes

Handsome men who have been scarred by life also make for interesting photos.

2 Likes

Foreigners taking pictures of foreigners. What next, are we going to give eachother red packets on the street?

3 Likes

NT$1,600 is the minimum acceptable amount. Thanks. :+1:

3 Likes

Sure thing. Just donā€™t look inside til you get home. Itā€™s not considered polite is all.

3 Likes

Do donā€™t that to foreigners in Taiwan theyā€™ll think you are CIA or such like.

2 Likes

Yes I meant forefathers
I understand many Chinese males were brought over to work the fields and they married available women who were mostly aborigine. We are talking hundreds of years ago here

The second wave which were the soldiers old chiang brought over when he fled China after WW2 also married available women but in this case many were not aborigine but instead later generations of Taiwanese ladies

My auntie on my moms side married such an old soldier and he only spoke mandarin and always was quiet at family gatherings when everyone else spoke Taiwanese

And my two cousins from that auntie still to this day speak mandarin rather than Taiwanese

Thatā€™s alright, Iā€™ll just reply to them in Mandarin. Ting bu dong.

Actually come to think about it, two foreigners having a street argument in Mandarin, that would be hilarious.

3 Likes

Many of the later generations were also Hill Tribe, and a lot of Hakkanese ladies married mainland KMT soldiers too.

1 Like

And shouting at each other to go back where they came from or in Mandarin ā€œDo you know who my father is ?ā€

4 Likes