Taking the art of English to the mountains

No I can’t, that is why I would ask someone who can, but then again the TT doesn’t have anyone who can…

THE MONEY QUOTE, as Andrew Sullivan would say, is here, from the original article:

In addition to teaching basic English, the American teachers also teach other life skills.

“We teach the students such concepts as obedience, attendance and determination and things that every good citizen must have,” Dudley said.

Karram said teaching moral fiber also helps students to improve their vocabulary.

YEs, sure, like “Little Fat, if you don’t show obedience to God right now, and worship him as Bill Clothard our fearless leader says, you will go straight to hell, you little commie Buddhist pinko atheist!”

OK, then why doesn’t the TT write a follow up on the background of these jokers?

Unless you are Studio Classroom.

The more you look at the girl on the right the freakier she looks. She’s got CULTIST written all over her.

Brian

Yeah, and what’s with the crazy headgear? Does it have some deep significance? Is it in fact an undergarment with special symbols on it cunningly folded and pinned to look like a headscarf?

i missed the headgear at first. funny!

okay, TT, we are waiting for followup, and while you are at in, you might want to investigate WorldVision International which is another Xian missionary front grup with ulterior motives, not all of them universal or praiseworthy. They get PR in the papers here all the time, too, with stars going on 30 hour annual train fasts etc, all for WorldVision projects overseas, whereas in fact, most of the mony raised goes to the salaries of the admin people. The kids in AFrica never see a dime! It’s true.

WorldVision, what a great PR name, hardly a world vision, it’s just another Jesus Lives vision to bring more kids into the fold, and the taiwan branch is hyperactive at PR, and the media here never questions where the mony really goes. Follow the money trail, sometime, and see.

I’ve been sponsoring through World Vision Taiwan a kid who was orphaned in the 9-21 earthquake. I have visited him in Nantou County and can attest that he is housed, fed, clothed and educated entirely through World Vision. He doesn’t recieve religious instruction and is under no religious obligations whatsoever from World Vision – in fact, he practices Buddhism. I’m sure he’s not alone.

sandman wrote: “I’ve been sponsoring through World Vision Taiwan a kid who was orphaned in the 9-21 earthquake. I have visited him in Nantou County and can attest that he is housed, fed, clothed and educated entirely through World Vision. He doesn’t recieve religious instruction and is under no religious obligations whatsoever from World Vision – in fact, he practices Buddhism. I’m sure he’s not alone.”

thanks for the heads up, sandman. I applaud what you are doing. However, I read on the wv website that the kids are all sent Xmas cards telling them that Jesus loves them etc etc., and that basically the group exists to use the front of humantarian aid to really push their own agenda, which is that the only way to heaven is thru the door marked Jesus Office. Do you want to see the relevant webstite?

Doesn’t matter really, because it’s nice what you are doing. But ever think about how much of your donation goes to

1. the admin charges of the staff
  2. the monthly print magazine
  3. the website maintenance
  4. the brochures in 7-11
  5. the PR staff who work withTaiwan media for these 30 hour fast train rides

Again, I salute you for helping an orphan. I would do the same if I knew for sure that there were no strings attached, but I am quite sure there are, invisible strings that you are prob not aware of, and even if you were, maybe it wouldnt bother you.

But do know that WV exists to further the Christian agenda in the world, NOT to help poor kids. That’s just their PR front. All these Xian groups operate the same way. They are really subtle recruitment and PR organs for the spread of the Gospel.

If i am wrong, please tell me, and i will stand corrected. I am probably a little wrong here, but check into it.

sandman, FYI: from the Wv website:

see *** below:

FAQ: How does my sponsored child learn about Jesus?

Some children attend government schools, while others are educated in mission or church-related schools. Children receive an elementary education, and in some countries, additional schooling or vocational training is provided, if they are willing and able.

***World Vision is concerned that all children in our projects receive consistent Christian training.

We provide the opportunity for those in our care to commit themselves to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. ****

Our childcare staff is made up of dedicated Christians who desire to teach Christian principles. However, methods vary from country to country. Childcare workers use the methods suited to their particular culture.

***Children in homes and schools supported by World Vision are raised in a Christian atmosphere. Children who live at home or attend public schools often receive Bible training provided by the project staff. ***

If you have any other questions about your child’s religious training, you may write to our staff overseas. When you write, please use the address on the inside of your child’s picture folder and include the child’s identification number.

How long has World Vision been in operation?

World Vision was founded in 1950 by Dr Bob Pierce in response to the needs of Korean War orphans.

Is evangelism always a part of World Vision’s projects?

In all World Vision projects, staff are ready to give a reason for their hope and their labors. Christian education is included in project activities whenever appropriate and desired by the community. In many countries where we work, formal public evangelism is forbidden by government policy and we respect this.

Who we help

World Vision helps transform the lives of children and families in need in the name of Christ. Our assistance extends to all people, regardless of beliefs, gender, or ethnicity.

sandman, just one more fyi:

As you can see, WV is deeply committed when u read their website, to preaching the Gospel worldwide. They don’t tell this to the Taiwanese, of course, no no no. But this is their hidden agenda. Of course. Read below:

"World Vision is committed to meeting the needs of the whole person within the whole community. In addition to responding to physical and social needs around the globe, World Vision also provides Christian literature in indigenous languages, trains pastors and community outreach workers, and promotes Bible studies and youth activities.

For more than 50 years, World Vision has shined the light of the Gospel–the good news that Jesus Christ poured out his life to restore hurting and broken people to a transforming relationship with God–among people struggling under burdens of hopelessness, oppression, violence, social chaos, disease, and natural disasters. Acting as the hands and feet of Jesus, World Vision staff strive to work in such a way that provokes the question to which Jesus Christ is the answer.

We do this through the example of our lives and those of our colleagues who have given up their own lives on behalf of those among whom they lived and worked. We preach Christ crucified not only through the words we share, but through our deeds. The tangible gifts of help and hope we share are signs to people in need of God’s loving touch.

World Vision touches lives . . . one child, one family, one community at a time . . . addressing the spiritual, physical, social, and economic roots of poverty. As people develop a relationship with Jesus, they receive new fullness of life in Christ. In many cases, new churches are emerging where none existed before, and others are being strengthened.

THE MONEY QUOTE:

“As people develop a relationship with Jesus, they receive new fullness of life in Christ. In many cases, new churches are emerging where none existed before, and others are being strengthened.”

This is where your money is really going, Sandman. However, if you are yourself a committed Christian, and follow this church, then it’s cool. I am not against WV, I am just against their NOT telling the media what they are really all about. And curious why the MEDIA never tells the truth about Wv’s real goals. It’s all on their website for anyone to see.

I don’t give a fuck whether they teach Christianity or not. I know from personal experience that its not rammed down their throats and that they are free to worship or not, Chiristian, Buddhist or whatever.
Those kids were NOT being helped to any noticable degree by the government apart from in the immediate aftermath. You want to talk about misappropriation of funds? Take a look at the Nantou county government.

Sandman, just to clarify: i was not saying WV is a terrible horrible thing. Just that they have a hidden agenda. Which the media never explains to the public. and which many people don’t know.

But all that aside, Wv does great things, and you make a good point, what has the Nanto govt done all this time? Nothing.

So it is good WV exists. I quite agree with you on this. Just wanted to post the inside story as well. WV is a missionary prosletizing triumphalistic religious group, whose administrators believe their religion is superior to other non-Christian religions. Now we know where they are coming from, that’s all.

At the same time, I applaud WV efforts to help a starving world, and to give people like you a chance to contribute as well. It’s a good thing. Humantarian aid groups are important, even if they have their own Buddhist or Christian or Jewish or Hindu or New Age foundations.

In the long run, at the end of the day …THIS DAY… what matters is that some kids are getting the help they need.

YEs, WV does NOT ram its religious tenets down the kids’ throats. It is done in gentle, sweet, non-threatening way. That’s cool.

Anyway, the war has begun now and all hope is lost. Forgive me.

Is that so? Hidden agenda, eh? Let’s see… where did you glean your information? Oh, that’s right – the WV website. If the media never explains it to the public, I suggest that you blame the media. And isn’t the Internet a form of media?

[quote]Just wanted to post the inside story as well.[/quote] Inside story? What on earth are you talking about? Again, this information is clearly stated on their Website. Do a google on WV and see how many words you can read before you come across the word “Christian.” Three? Four?

okay, okay, i take it all back. sorry. [but thanks for the PM sandman, and all is forgiven.]

World Vision certainly has it’s problems though.

I can remember years ago when I was working in Thailand that WV child sponsorships were being raughted by pedophiles. A huge cover up ensued on a practice that had been going on since the inception of the Sponsor a Child program.