Taking the scooter test?

well, when it comes to all things transport related in tiawan, i’m a complete idiot. could someone tell me please what the testing involves with regards to a 150cc or higher scooter licence? any and all info would be greatly appreciated…cheers!

[quote=“rob_the_canuck”]well, when it comes to all things transport related in tiawan, I’m a complete idiot. could someone tell me please what the testing involves with regards to a 150cc or higher scooter licence? any and all info would be greatly appreciated…cheers![/quote]Hi Rob, welcome.

The standard motorbike/scooter test covers bikes of 51cc - 250cc. Some more info on it here; [Got my car and motorcycle licence

DMVs seem generally pretty helpful to foreigners. Your local DMV will tell you the exact procedure. Good things to do to improve your chances of passing are; mug up on the test question prep booklet (English version available from DMVs), and practice riding straight lines extremely slowly, the most tricky part of the practical test.

I suggest that you browse the various threads in Vroom, vroom for a great deal of useful info.

One tip for you - when you think you’re ready for the test go to the site early and watch others take their test. It gave me a couple of handy hints, which made me pass.

Good luck

L :smiley:

I just got my license last week. Follow this link to the practice test. It is very helpful. If you practice this to where you can always get a score of 100 then you are quite ready.

As limey suggests, watch the other riders take the driving test. The first thing is you have to drive down a thin strip of road for more than seven seconds. They give you two attempts to pass this part. You fail if you can’t do it in over seven seconds, if you place your feet on the road, or if you drive off the strip. I believe the distance is about 25-30 meters, but that’s really just a guess. This is the hardest part of the test. My suggestion is to start quickly to balance yourself and then to coast to the rest of the way. I didn’t do that and almost failed, but I watched a guy who went after me and he was flawless. As we were waiting to receive our licenses he explained what he had done.

After that you have to drive along a curve. Then it will straighten out and you will approach a stop light. It doesn’t always turn red - it didn’t for me. After that you stop at a simulated railroad crossing. You will hear a sound that indicates you must stop. After the sound stops you may proceed. Finally, you have to stop at some zebras lines (a pedestrian crossing). A flashing light will indicate that you must stop. When the light stops flashing you may proceed. In all of these there is a white line you must stop in front of. If you cross over it when you must stop then you fail.

Anyway, that’s all I remember. It’s not a hard test, but that first part is not trivial, so good luck.

thanks for all the info and help…just one last question…do you have to take your own scooter? i would imagine not, since you would be going there to get the licence to drive the scooter, but hey, this IS taiwan after all…

You can rent a scooter for the test. I am not sure how much it costs, since I did drive mine there. :laughing:

excellent! guess i might as well just ride my father-in-law’s then since he’s got a 150cc…once again, thanks for all the help!

The written part is a breeze, but the beginning part of the road test sucks. I failed it twice, but I have my excuses.

Are you in Taipei?

The practice questions won;t help you at all locations. Taipei yes. It’s great to take the test there (Chengde Rd). Taipei County no. Bad test.

Brian

The straight line thing is tricky. I failed first time on that. I felt a bit better when my mate who’s been riding big bikes for years in the States also failed on the same thing.

[quote=“NeonNoodle”]I just got my license last week. Follow this link to the practice test. It is very helpful. If you practice this to where you can always get a score of 100 then you are quite ready.[/quote][quote=“Bu Lai En”]The practice questions won;t help you at all locations. Taipei [/quote]As Brian says, the online practice test can only be taken as complete preparation for the written test in Taipei City. Those questions may also come up in the test in other areas, but there is a far wider range of possible questions. The way to prepare for that is to borrow or buy the test prep booklet (English version available from DMVs).

The wider range of questions for tests taken outside of Taipei City means you have to spend a little more time preparing, but it’s still perfectly doable. If you’re taking the test in English, they sit you in front of a computer and you listen to the questions in English through headphones. The clarity is not always great, but it’s adequate. IIRC you only need 85% correct to pass anyway.