Talking Taiwan Podcast [ep 204] Edouard Roquette Talks About his Life-Changing Scooter Accident

Topics covered:

• How Edouard recovered enough from his scooter accident to be able to walk
  • How Edouard’s accident happened three days before his visa for Taiwan expired
  • The approach that hospitals in Taiwan take with pain management
  • As a result of overstaying his visa Edouard had to leave Taiwan for a year
  • How Edouard has been able to go from not being able to stand for more than a few minutes to being able to walk and hike
  • Edouard’s physical therapist in Taipei JJ. Physio
  • How Edouard had to advocate for himself to get physical therapy
  • As a result of Edouard’s accident he lost his company, money, health, and relationship
  • How it took eight years for Edouard to walk again and how he got through it
  • How it was important for Edouard to feel a sense of normalcy as he was dealing with his injury and recovering
  • How he dealt with the way that people treated him at various stages of his recovery
  • How Edouard has been open trying all different types of treatments
  • The lessons that Edouard has learned throughout this journey to recover from his accident
  • The importance of connecting with support groups or people who have had similar experiences
  • Edouard’s advice to others who have visa issues in Taiwan
  • How Edouard ended up playing the role of Tiger man for Mazu’s birthday
  • Taiwan’s dense religious practices
  • The Mazu festival in Beigang (北港) attracts 200,000 people
  • The Mazu festival in Dajia (大甲) attracts 2 million people
  • The Wanjin (aka Wanchin) Catholic Basilica in Pingtung, Taiwan
  • Obscure religious festivals in Taiwan
  • Edouard has posted videos of Mazu birthday festivities on Facebook
  • How Edouard has been involved with the Mazu birthday festivities in Beigang for 14 years
  • Edouard’s recommendations for people interested in attending religious festivals in Taiwan
  • Being a tourist in your own country and constantly discovering things about the place you live
  • The Taiwan Gods website
2 Likes

I listened to the podcast.

I sympathize with his struggle.

Can’t say I agree with his understanding or lack of understanding and then publicly degrading and complaining about Taiwan hospitals emergency medicine, emergency medicine in general, or of Taiwan immigration.

But that’s all I’ve got to say about that.

1 Like