Tamshui - don't go there

lets agree to disagree. i just have to say that, yes, the architecture of this place may not be the best but i firmly believe the nature around the cities is awe inspiring - from pristine (YES PRISTINE) waterfalls and hot springs in the mountains outside of Taipei to the glory that is Taroko Gorge through to the quiet CLEAN white sandy beaches on the east coast, with great waves and no vendors.

final word - i PROMISE! Taiwan has it all, and in spades, it is just not there for you to use and abuse, you have to hunt for it, you have to WANT to find it. by doing so you find a myriad of other wonders and have places ALL to yourself.

Whatever,
I don’t even know a single “professional” ie “b*ttplug”…every time I see their fat guts and crispy blue shirt and bald heads I shudder with fear.

Of course some dorky office gigglesh*its isn’t gonna like Taiwan…let’s face it, one of the coolest things about Taiwan is its seedy underbelly…and weird coolness. I mean, it’s like New Orleans, in a weird way…corruption, hot, giant roaches, good food, sexy bars and night spots…only the people are actually attractive.

quote:
Originally posted by Eye Opener: Whatever, I don't even know a single "professional" ie "b*ttplug"...every time I see their fat guts and crispy blue shirt and bald heads I shudder with fear.

Of course some dorky office gigglesh*its isn’t gonna like Taiwan…let’s face it, one of the coolest things about Taiwan is its seedy underbelly…and weird coolness. I mean, it’s like New Orleans, in a weird way…corruption, hot, giant roaches, good food, sexy bars and night spots…only the people are actually attractive.

Couldn’t quite hack it in a “normal” place eh? What, did the authorities in Phnom Penh throw you out?

In my books there are 2 types of people here when you talk about foreigners - those who come here to do a job, do it damn well and then get out and those who fall in love with the place b/c they finally find acceptance and stay forever.

And regarding those “professionals with fat guts” - I don’t know where you have been - the expats I know here and hang around with are HOT and sexy, fun and smart. And they are professionals with great jobs and a purpose.

Continue trawling the nightlife if you want to but don’t go randomly attacking those who choose to live a different lifestyle.

I tried to be nice, honest & open minded, and then you go ahead with a post like that Eye Opener.

Your high flying career as a teacher (let’s guess, of English to little kids?) is obviously so exciting that anyone, in contrast, who decribes themselves as a professional (I always though teaching was a profession, not so?) is a b*ttplug. Didn’t we have this out somewhere before? You were the postal clerk as I recall, in some huge company, who strangely found their job unfulfilling, and now you don’t like anything to do with offices? Something along those lines.

If we’re going to resort to stereotypes, direct your dirty sandle-clad feet toward your roach infested hovel and have a good lie down.

First of all, yes, I know I suck.

Second of all, Uh, I’m not some sandal wearing hippie dude, and I was never a mail clerk, dipplepoops. I had a real job in Manhattan, and, REAL JOBS IN OFFICES SUCK! (in my opinion)…am I not entitled to an opinion…and, are there no unattractive foreigners walking around Taipei? Blehh.

And, also, I haven’t found acceptance here, nor will I. It’s impossible, I’m white.

But, I will say, the lifestyle of studying Chinese all day and teaching at night is very attractive, and lucrative…oh, and my apartment is NICE AS HELL…

I also want to say what I said a long time ago, I think the most pitiful people in the world are people who think that their job, car, house, and other worldly possesions tell them who they are. I really couldn’t give less of a flying f0ck who’s got the “good” job and who doesn’t…listen my enlightened ones, were all gonna die, pretty soon, and then, what are you gonna do with your car? Your house? Your bank account? How completely boring to compare people by what they have instead of their knowledge or artistry…I personally have absolutely no feeling when someone tells me about their great office job…I just think to myself, “your job sucks because you’re in business”…it’s that simple. Case closed…

You wanna know who I respect? My uncle. He used to make big bucks designing rocket engines for NASA, but a few years ago he gave it up to head the home building project started by Jimmy Carter in the '80s that builds houses for people who are too poor to afford them. That’s my definition of a person who has a cool job. Because it’s not belching out some sales poo-poo or rearranging your toupee while you tug at your freshly-pressed shirt collar as the boss gives you a Friday deadline to meet.

What else, oh Non-teacher is really funny when he/she’s pissed. Now go get lost in Shi Men Ding at 1:30am…ooooooooo…I…suck!!!

Eye Opener,

It’s interesting that so many people seem to feel sorry for me, I actually feel sorry for you (and yes, I do mean that in a paternalistic & condescending way).

I think you have some specific hang-ups regarding your ethnic and cultural identity. See, I KNOW I come from the best country on God’s Earth, and I also know that what get’s me through all this is that I will be back there one day and living FINE. Most of this country would take up citizenship there in a snap if they had the chance.

Unlike you, I don’t feel the need to be a wanabbee Taiwanese. I like the Taiwanese and despite my gripes about Taipei’s lack of beauty, I think they should be justifiably proud of their achievements as a nation. However, unlike you, I don’t suffer the “cringe” factor you seem to be afflicted with.

Let me understand, ALL office jobs suck? Or just mine & your (previous) position? Is it the layout of the office, or the fact that it is in-doors. If so do you study and teach in a park?

I’m glad you have a nice as hell apartment, it’s really important for me to know that you have somewhere peachy to sleep in at night.

Well, mabye I’m strange, but I think coming here with a purpose specifically related to the fact that I live in Taiwan is a reasonable goal.

I’m saying I’m very interested and like a lot of things that I learn here, and I don’t see why I’m the strange one if I really want to get to know about Taiwan more deeply. Why is that strange? I think coming here and living on the surface is a real mistake.

Yes, all office jobs suck, I teach in what’s called a “classroom”. There’s an office outside. I don’t work in the office.

… well, great Eye Opener. Classroom, novel concept.

Getting back to the original purpose for this post (other than slagging Non Teacher - there’s a separate thread for that specific purpose) - I bet you actually LIKE Tamshui. I bet you think I’m being harsh and judge it unfairly. What if you thought it was a quaint fishing village? Hmmmm?

Eye Opener’s just pissed because he couldn’t hack it in the real world. Just leave the poor fella alone.

First of all, what is the “real world” exactly? Is Taiwan the “hyper-real world” or the “unreal world” or perhaps the “non-white, unreal third class Chinese sh*thole”?

I never said I wasn’t making it. I saw all my friends around me, and my family, in business, some successful, some not, some loving it, some hating it. I hated it. It’s not that strange, a lot of people hate what they do. Before, I didn’t like my life. Now I do. I changed it to something I like from something I didn’t like. Purposely. Consciously. I didn’t fall into anything. I chose this and I’m happy. Sorry if anyone thinks a conscious choice that I’m happy with is a bad situation.

At least I know I suck.

You’re excused for your apology.

Now, go suck somewhere else.

Thanks.

Eye opener,

So you have no respect for the “professional working class”. Fine. Just because it doesn’t suit you or you couldn’t hack it - no need to insult those who can.

I don’t judge myself by my possesions or career but it seems you do.

And Musasa - do you find it so hard to believe that there would be 2 people that can actually look objectively at Taipei and say it is an ugly city that you have to conclude that Non Teacher and I are married? You are so deluded. He / she is however, one of the few voices of reason on this posting though.

Hey Jolie,

I didn’t start the insults. And, now you’re judging me DIRECTLY AGAIN. But I have yet to directly judge you, don’t I?

danshui is bad during the day, but at night it’s pretty good. a nice breeze, and some really cool coffee shops. and, you can’t see the nasty ass river.

jiufen is nice if you go to the old goldmine part. take the train to keelong and bus to jiufen (chiufen).

yanminshan is nice. take the bus from shilin.
look for wenhua daxue.

go drink tea on the montains south of mucha.
that’s nice too.

taiwan is beatiful, taipei excepted.

quote:
Originally posted by musasa: ...You know nothing about the way people spend quality time with friends and family members. You have no concept of the importance of local festivals and holidays. Hell, you don't even know what the national colors are!

In short, I pity you. I guess I can understand your frustration, since you must feel extremely isolated. Please keep in mind that it’s a big world, and you will soon have the opportunity to return again to your native land or somewhere else, where I assume you will pick up where you left off and start a new whinging campaign.

Musasa, you Taiwan wannabe. Your desperation to prove that you have adopted the local culture etc is what deserves pity. Since the beginning I have ranted on this ugly city which I still maintain it is. However, what has the fact that this is an ugly city got to do with family gatherings etc? My mother is Chinese thus I grew up with all the Chinese festivals and celebrations. I have Taiwanese friends and co-workers and they too, know what you cannot seem to grasp - Taipei is ugly. My mum’s family and friends think Taipei is a cesspool too.

So get off your high horse and open your eyes.

The national colors of TAIPEI are smog grey and puke green.

Isolated? Not me. I, unlike you, have no identity crisis - I KNOW who I am and where I come from.

Hi, everybody.

I just want to say - you can find your lovely dovely swellfy self on the wish wish patty wap map!

Love,
Fluffy Lovely

another thread sewn into a flame…

i tend to agree with non teacher that tamsui leaves something to be desired but there are lots of nice places to see in taiwan, along the east coast especially, or on some of the outlying islands.

that being said, i don’t know why this damn group always boils down to insults over who does what job. eye-opener is jumping to all kinds of conclusions about “office jobs.” i take it that eye opener is doing this based on a belief that non teacher is making all kinds of assumptions about teaching english.

actually, i agree with non teacher. i think the best two things about taiwan are 1) the people and 2) the food. eye opener seems to have assumed that just because non teacher dislikes tamsui - actually it IS a bit of a disappointment to those going there hoping to find a quaint village - that non teacher is anti-taiwan and has sold out his/her soul to the corporation, is wasting life being a paper pusher, etc.

its silly to leap from aesthetic judgements of tamsui to trashing other people’s job.

and as for tamsui, there’s at least one good thing about it: you can win some goldfish at those dockside games.

Hey, “I’m not sharing”

You’re so judgemental. If you’re such a great person, why do you have to leave a note telling others specifically that you’re a selfish a**hole? How do you know who’s been where and what?

You’re a big, soft poop.

Poop.

I’ve been to Tamsui a few times. It’s pretty nice - different to other places in Taiwan, and anyone who can’t see and appreciate the differences won’t have much fun whereever they go! I found wandering around the backstreets a lot of fun, but was annoyed to find the foreigners graveyard all closed up.

I vent to Tamshui…I looked and looked everyvere…I just couldn’t find my voopee cushion…my voopee cushion!