TANSAFL and shaving my head

TANSAFL is the acronym a lot of show-off economists like to throw around whenever someone suggests that they’re getting something for nothing. It literally stands for “There Aint No Such thing As a Free Lunch.” It’s extremely witty in that kind of pie-in-the-face way. Basically it means that (1) someone always pays for a product or service, and (2) alternative economic activities may indeed have different total cost levels, but woh-betide the idiot who thinks that by changing their behaviour, they can ditch costs completely…

And it’s the second of these insights that speaks to a recent experience I’ve had. As my handle suggests, I clean-shave my head pretty regularly. In fact, once a week. It wasn’t always so: I used to go down to the cheap ‘li-fa’ at Zhengda once a fortnight and get the once-over with the electric clippers. The hairdressers at Zhengda, it has to be said, are pretty rough - they kept cutting my ears. The fortnightly visit also cost about NT$120 each time, so about 6 months ago I got to thinking: Why don’t I just shave my head with a razor and pocket the monthly fee of NT$240… I felt very proud of myself that day, therein started my weekly routine of head shaving.

Half a year down the track, I’m not so cock-sure. Quite apart from the tricky pain-in-the-ass shaving my head each week has been (I keep cutting my ears), there’s the fact that I’ve been spending a fortune on razor blades… I use the Mack 3 by Gilette as it’s one of the only blades on the market that can give me a close shave (I have a particularly thick beard and head of hair), but they are terribly expensive - about NT$60 a pop. I use one of these a week now, as head shaving destroys them pretty quickly. So guess what? I’m spending about NT$240 a month on keeping my head billard-ball smooth. Sound familiar? Seems I’m back to square one…

Whatever. I was bored. And when I’m bored, I post. :moo:

I’m waiting for a huge email to leave my computer so I can close my email. So, I’m bored and posting as well.

Why don’t you use a beard trimmer without the comb thing. It’s about the same as a day afer shaving your head.

WARNING TO ALL HEAD SHAVERS.

Its been 3 weeks and my bloody head still looks like I am a cast member of Schindlers list as TpeBob is particularly fond of mentioning. You need a fat round head to look good.

I don’t qualify. I look like Mr Ed over on the left but without the big ears.

I’m waiting for a huge email to leave my computer so I can close my email. So, I’m bored and posting as well.

Why don’t you use a beard trimmer without the comb thing. It’s about the same as a day afer shaving your head.

Its been 3 weeks and my bloody head still looks like I am a cast member of Schindlers list as TpeBob is particularly fond of mentioning. You need a fat round head to look good.

I don’t qualify. I look like Mr Ed over on the left but without the big ears.[/quote]

Bullshit.
You look totally badass.
Broads love the shave, too.
'Specially TALL broads…

I used to do that back in Oz, but the beard trimmers you can buy here are all piss-weak. Shaving my head is more like slashing back a wild hedge than mowing a lawn. I’m one hairy barstad.

Actually, it’s spelled TANSTAAFL. It’s also the motto emblazened on the flag of the Luna Free State.

Actually, it’s spelled TANSTAAFL. It’s also the motto emblazened on the flag of the Luna Free State.
[/quote]

I bet you’re an economist. I just know it…

I don’t qualify. I look like Mr Ed over on the left but without the big ears.[/quote]

Bullshit.
You look totally badass.
'Specially TALL broads…[/quote]

I find that it polarizes the girls. They either love it or hate it. It suits some people more than others… I think I’ll wait for the warmer weather though. I think girls in asia are a bit more scared by it though, perhaps an Aryan look, intense eyes and shaved head can look intimidating.

Bullshit.
You look totally badass.
Some shorter ones don’t. Some of them stop calling you “laogong” and instead call you “Mr. Potatohead.”
Water off a duck’s back to me, though.

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“Ironman”]

Bullshit.
You look totally badass.
You sure right about that, el jefe!

[quote=“sandman”]
Some shorter ones don’t. Some of them stop calling you “laogong” and instead call you “Mr. Potatohead.”
Water off a duck’s back to me, though.[/quote]You too huh? :wink: